TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

@liam2015 You will get through this, I'm glad I could help.
A lot of times we feel like we're all alone in this because most people don't know what we're going through. That's why bonesmart is such a great site, we're all going through it together, with the same ups and downs.
 
I'm glad you all liked the article. It really does help if you can come to terms with recovery progressing slowly. It is a trial of patience, I know, but it's worth it.
 
I would be ecstatic with 90 flexion. I am 11.5 weeks post right TKA and 4.5 weeks MUA. Before MUA best was in low 50s. Since MUA, best in PT not home was 75 ROM. Still have swelling. Goes down some at night but increases with any activity. Not sure what next step should be. I go to PT 3 times per week. Does not force me to do anything painful. Does a lot of hands on manipulation. Very discouraged.
 
Too bad we couldn't order some on Amazon, just as a back-up for impatient days.:egypdance: I can't complain too much on the patience score. In general, I'm accepting of this long marathon, but perhaps that's because I am basically a slug? Yes, that must be it, lol. It's not that I don't enjoy some physical activities (swimming, kayaking, dog-walking, a little gardening) but my favorite way to pass the day is reading. For that, all I need is a comfortable seat, lol. I try and mostly succeed in not thinking about all the things I can't do yet because I know from my THR experience, it'll come. Eventually. I guess I think of this recovery as a most unusual (and certainly sometimes painful) sabbatical, a break from *real-life* as it were. Works for me.:SUNsmile:
 
@kimw, what does your OS say should be your next step? Have you tried the "No PT, very little activity route?" I'm sure you have and I can certainly understand your frustration; aarrghh!
 
@kimw ~ sorry you're feeling so discouraged. try to remember you're just 4.5 weeks out from m.u.a., so still healing from that, meaning you will need to call upon patience. what treatments do you have at physio? it's good they are not pushing you to pain.
 
@kimw i was surprised how long it took me to recover from my mua. It took a good 8wks before i felt better and not in much pain. I guess I thought it would just be sore.
But now after 12 wks I'm pain free. I will say that I probably did too much pt, I was just so scared that my ROM would go back to the way it was.
If you're still having a lot of swelling, that will certainly keep you from bending. Luckily I didn't have too much which probably accounted for why mine was quicker coming.
You might decide to take @Pheebs52 advice and cut down on pt. Maybe check with your OS and get his opinion on pt and why your bending is still at 75.
I believe you will turn a corner when swelling goes down, try not to get discouraged.
 
My OS wanted to do another MUA. I said no. His comment has been 'he's never had a patient like me' -- so encouraging. Some mornings the swelling has gone down a little but as soon as I use it, it tightens back up. Thanks for all your support.
 
The PT uses mainly massage and stretching. I usually pedal an exercise bike back and forth for a few minutes. Stretching. Foot slides are usually a requirement. My insurance is paying so I understand that PTs have to quantify. Never can maintain bend I get there. Loose feeling lasts for a few hours sometimes. I feel if I don't go I will regress even farther.
 
@kimw, Well, your OS just told you how special you are! Good for you for saying no! It has just been a little over a month since your last one and your tissues are still angry. You can tell that by the swelling you're having. To have a MUA again would only add to the trauma and swelling in your poor knee. It hasn't had a chance to heal from your TKR yet, much less from your MUA. OSs need to give their patients a chance to heal from their TKRs before even mentioning a MUA. We can gain ROM up to over a year after our surgery.
 
@kimw I would think it would be too soon for another mua. Did he think another one is the answer?
And I can tell you, my tissues were still angry at a month. I don't know if I could have done another one that soon.
As far as being loose, pt kept telling me the stiffness would get better but it was hard to believe, but it finally did. It took awhile though, I think I'm just a tortoise in the recovery arena :gaah:
You will get there, and if you need another mua, it will be ok even though it doesn't feel like it.
 
Almost 9 weeks update: I take back all those nasty things i said or implied about my surgeon. Today he was very calm and didn't mention the dreaded "m" word. He asked me how physio was going and what my r.o.m. was. i told him it had improved from 79 to 85 (actually it was 83 but who's counting?). He said he was okay with my r.o.m. increasing a little every time and asked me if i was comfortable with it. he did that knee/rocking/bending thing and i think he said it was almost 90. i'm wondering if maybe the receptionist told him about my phonecall last thursday trying to cancel because i knew my r.o.m. wouldn't be what he expected, that he kept talking about m.u.a., and i didn't want to waste his time because i wouldn't consent to it. the receptionist tried to reassure me that the m.u.a. was a last resort and the surgeon just wanted to keep a check on me. today he said he wanted to see me every week to check on my progress and would release me when it got to 100 degrees.

I'm so relieved as i've been anxious about this appointment all weekend and couldn't sleep thinking about what i was going to say. i had actually thought that i would consent to a m.u.a. if my flexion did get stuck for a few weeks, with no improvement. I told the surgeon how good the physiotherapist was and that she was working hard with me as i was. I also asked for another prescription to Celebrex as i had run out of it weeks ago and tried Aleve, but found it made me drowsy whereas the Celebrex didn't seem to have any side effects on me. I'm supposed to take it after breakfast and dinner. I hope it will help with the swelling. he actually acknowledged this time that it was probably good that i wouldn't have to go through the nausea and pain again (thanks to hubby for corroborating me that fact at last appointment). That's about it ~ i can relax now and do what i have to do to improve.
 
Yes, you can relax. You did all that worrying for nothing. But, that's a good thing! And your ROM is increasing. Yay! Just remember you can't 'work' to get ROM, it takes the time for the knee to settle down and reduce the swelling. That's the key!
 
Thank you sistersinhim ~ it's just taking me a little longer than most. Maybe my surgeon is realizing that too.
 
So glad you can relax now and know your OS isn't going to press you too hard. I'm sure he wants the best result for you, and just needed to learn how best to interact with you. We're all so very individual, really. It might do you a world of good to give your knee and little "knee-cation" and just chill with it for a few days. I say that because I did that with mine last week... and I think they really appreciated it!
 
I'm glad your appointment went well and your surgeon was so reassuring.
As long as you keep making progress, no matter how slow, all is well.

Remember that ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR. I know of someone who found hers had increased 3 years after her knee replacement.
 
I'm so glad your appointment went well and you don't have to stress about it anymore.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
thanks everyone. i will take SusieShoes' advice and give myself a bit of a "knee-cation". it's wonderful to be able to eat again and nourish myself. now all i need is one of those "lounge doctors" to elevate my legs properly and work on reducing the swelling. i haven't been very successful with the pillow routine lol ~ dog keeps grabbing the pillows! hope everyone is having gorgeous weather as we're having the last 2 days ~ no need for a/c, beautiful breeze coming in.
 
It is so hard to remain relaxed when MUA is lurking overhead. I had a freak out over it last night and had give myself quite a bit of talking to. I am hoping that as long as we are seeing a positive trend in our progress, that this will be good enough at this point.
 
Back
Top Bottom