TKR liam2015: 1 Year Anniversary, Life Goes On!

you're right sistersinhim, he is causing me stress. i was feeling anxious all night just thinking about phoning to cancel. i want to get him off my back or should i say knee lol!:heehee:
 
Liam, was I talking Lululemon with you? I came across a pile of cropped pants that hadn't been unpacked yet... and low and behold.... 2 pairs of loose fitting lulu cropped pants!!!! Had them for years, didn't even realize they were hiding there. So happy!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
yes, @JennyLynne and @Gone flying. i have around 4 pair of the Lululemon loose yoga pants and 2 pair of the loose cropped yoga pants. any of them will roll up above the knee if you're having therapy or if the doctor wants to have a look. they last forever i'm sure. i've had the long pants for at least 10 years or more. they are expensive compared to some other brands, but our canadian dollar is so low compared to yours.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@flyaway79 ... more like they USED TO! Everything I saw online right now is either very fitted or short shorts.
I have these 2 pairs of loose cropped and 1 pair of long looser ones. The rest are leggings-tight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@liam2015 I had a mua and it worked for me. I was stuck at 78 for a long time. My OS didn't push me into one, it was my decision. My OS and also pt both said it was not my fault for lack of ROM. They said that I had worked really hard, but that some people just develop more scar tissue than others and that keeps us from bending, but they did say they thought i would benefit from an MUA.

I said that I wanted to wait and see if I could get it on my own. But at 12 wks it had not increased at all, so I made the decision to have one. When I woke up from the manipulation I was so excited that I could bend further, i think I cried. After being released from hospital I did pt 5 x a week.

I won't lie to you, the manipulation and pt hurt. I don't believe it put my recovery all the way back to the beginning, but it sure wasn't where I left it either. While I was in pt, the bending was 105 and I, my pt and OS were all happy with that, they said I could do normal activities with that.

My straightening is not where I want it, it's at a 6, but I'm still ok with that if I have my quality of life back. Btw, since I've been out of pt my rom has increased to 110, so it will get better.

I just feel like this was the right decision for me. But, don't let them pressure you into it and don't let them make you feel like it's your fault because it definitely isn't, you had a hard time in the beginning, as I did. Try not to worry, although that's all I did and got pretty depressed.

But the first day of pt, I couldn't stop grinning because I could actually move my knee. After all the heartache, I finally had movement!
You just make the best decision for you. I'm here for you if you have any questions.

:friends:
 
@Mister ~ thank you so much for reaching out to me; i really appreciate it. how long after your m.u.a. were you able to go to physio? that is really encouraging to hear how pleased you are and that you have your quality of life back. i see you're due to have your other knee replaced ~ do you think you'll do anything differently this time? you have a very understanding surgeon that didn't make you feel as though it was your fault. my surgeon is very young with excellent reviews but i think he needs to work on his bedside manner, so to speak, although his heart is in the right place. i'm going on 9 weeks post op, so i would like to give physio a chance as i've only been 3 times so far. i will read through your thread to see how your recovery went. best wishes to you for another successful knee replacement surgery.
thank you so much for re-assuring me that it won't be the end of the world.:angel:
 
Just adding to those who have said using the bike is a good exercise. I started with rocking the pedals back and forth and gradually progressed to full rotations. For me it seemed like being on my feet brought on swelling more than doing a few gentle-ish exercises during the day (such as the bike) did.

Luckily I do have a bit of a lazy streak, so laying around wasn't that much of a problem for me. :heehee: Though I do admit by week 6 or so as I started to feel better, I did get a bit stir crazy at times. Still, pacing yourself is the key.

If you do need an MUA it's not the end of the world, but lots of us are "tortoises" who take more than 6 weeks to hit over 90 degrees due to swelling. I had a plateau for a couple of weeks and then started gaining as the swelling diminished.
 
thank you @kneeper ~ i've been trying my bicycle and so far just rocking back and forth and today the physiotherapist had me on the bike there and gave me some tips. my r.o.m. has increased a little from 2 days ago. oh if there was just a magic potion to make the swelling diminish. even when i wasn't doing anything other than resting, icing, elevating and walking around to stretch, it remained. btw, i love your profile name and it took me awhile to realize the significance. i kept pronouncing it with a hard "k" until i realized "knee"per...lol!
 
Oh Kneeper, as a fellow tortoise, I just had to laugh! Life in the slow lane isn't all bad, eh?
We have an article about that! Life in the slow lane

I've posted this before, but if you are progressing slowly, this may reassure you:
This is what one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"

She's doing well and since then she has had a TKR on her other knee, which progressed a bit faster.
 
@liam2015 i had manipulation on Friday and started pt on Monday.

I am having my other knee replacement on Wednesday. There are things that will be done differently, I think the main thing is the changing of hospitals, so many things went wrong there. And now we know what pain meds work for me. Also, after the initial knee replacement I did home health pt. I'm not sure how much they helped me, so I'm going straight to outpatient this time.
Also, my surgeon says now that he knows I grow a lot of scar tissue and that it makes everything tight in there, he is going to make it just a tiny bit looser to try to keep this from happening again. So all in all I think we have a good plan in place.

So try not to worry about a manipulation, if you have one done, we will help you through it. And I believe that what was so hard on me was even though nobody blamed me, or thought it was my fault, I did. We can be our own worst enemies sometimes.
 
Thankyou @Mister for your encouragement and support. i wish you all the best; it looks like you and your surgeon have made a good plan this time so you won't suffer as much.
 
@Celle that is such a great article. Even though we all want to be in the fast lane, most of us aren't. And it takes time to realize it's ok if we are in the slow lane :bored:
In the end it will all be worth it. But that patience is sure lacking some days.
 
Back
Top Bottom