THR Let's make it a matched set!

I'm totally in your camp, @gertie, and that means focus on getting those hips and your lower body strong and flexible again. I, too, feel as if I should do some weight training but unlike cardio, which I want to do on my own, I suspect I'll need a trainer or a class--shudder--as I am not a fan and have the flabby upper arms and body to prove it! But first things first--get those hips moving easily and then worry about weight training. And doing what you enjoy will ensure you actually do it. Happy Monday!
 
But I do feel de-conditioned, which is less about the surgeries themselves and more about the fact that I would just get to the point of feeling some level of good fitness and another joint would go downhill.

Fingers crossed that with both new knees and hips, it's the end of surgeries. :fingersx:
You've experienced your share and hopefully the future continues to look bright and promising.
Have a lovely Monday and wonderful week!
 
@Layla Fingers crossed indeed! I shudder to think of going through this with other joints (or, heaven forbid, ever needing a revision of hips or knees). So I say "go away" "get lost" to any twinges I get in ankles, shoulders, toes, fingers and so far it's worked!
 
Hey, hey, hey...
It's a special day. Happy Three Month Anniversary to Righty!
I hope you are able to enjoy a beautiful Autumn day in your neck of the woods, gertie.
Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
@gertie
 
week 13 update
Not a lot to report that I haven't already posted about earlier in the week! I did push past my 1/2 mile walking limit and did a couple of 1+ mile walks. The first one was on woodsy paths in and around a pond near my home--lots of paths there to explore. The other was on a bike rail trail about 15 miles north of where I live. I and a couple of friends walk there once or twice a year, especially at this time of year when leaves are starting to change. Nice views and easy walking (and a restaurant nearby with homemade ice cream).

Walking has for a long time been my go-to exercise. Before my knees started to conk out I regularly walked a 2 to 3 mile loop around my neighborhood or an equivalent distance on those paths near the pond. I started having serious knee problems in 2010 and my walking distances started to shrink. 1.5 miles felt OK, then 1.3, then 1, then .5 etc. But I'm starting to have glimmers of being able to walk greater distances again.

I also know I need to approach this increase in mileage gradually. As I noted in an earlier post, after my bike trail walk on Saturday I felt really sleepy. I felt better overall on Sunday but by the end of Sunday, my replaced hip was tight and sore. Might have been partly Saturday's walk and partly the result of bending a bit more. I went to bed that night with an ice pack clamped to my hip and felt fine yesterday.

I have a lot of desk work to do this week so the challenge will be reminding myself to take frequent movement breaks.
 
Finding that happy medium is that easy at times. That's what I'm learning at this point. I stand at work and now have to get the old habit of sitting watching TV that is ingrained during the pre op years. It's true about bad habits taking longer to break. Wish you luck with longer strides moving forward!
 
Good morning, @gertie, and I have to say I totally agree with @julesglass--it really is all about finding out what works for you in terms of activity levels, and it's just trial and error, over and over again. But I am betting you WILL get back to the activity you love, walking miles and enjoying the fresh air and scenery, very soon. Taking it slow and steady is important, but so nice to read you are feeling hopeful about longer walks even if you occasionally do require an ice pack if you've overdone it. But you said the next day you were feeling fine so no harm done! Have great day, and balance movement and rest as best you can--that all any of us can do. Cheers!
 
I was astonished when I checked my FitBit last night just before bed and saw close to 7K steps. It's been a while since I've been able to do that many. This was a combination of daily walking around the house and yard, a couple of quick errands, and a walk that was probably about a mile in length. I had sore muscles last night and again today although the soreness eases with movement--I think some of the soreness was because I walked a lot on uneven ground--yard and trails. I'll probably not get a walk in today--stormy weather headed our way--which might be just as well.

I know there's been conversation on here about accuracy of FitBits when one is using a cane or walking pole. I think that applies to ones worn on the wrist. Mine is a small one that clips on my waistband or pocket--much like any other kind of pedometer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Nurse Cat avatar.

Your steps are an inspiration. I’m in knee, shoulder, and foot recovery, but visit the hip forum here, as @Izabel ’s posts always brighten my day. And now your walking progress has also.


PS to @luvcats : I just noticed @gertie had her 2 knees done very closely together (Gertie, she has been researching threads for folks who did 2 knees closely, as she has just done).
 
Very impressive to read about those 7000 steps, @gertie. If you were walking on uneven ground I am sure that did cause a bit of soreness. I remember going to the beach with our grandson, very rocky and uneven for walking, and I was surprised at how difficult I found it, how unbalanced I felt and how nervous I was about walking! With the stormy weather returning (we have rain forecast for this afternoon and through the weekend) I hope you gave yourself permission to just veg out and recover from your energetic day. Have a great Friday!
 
If you were walking on uneven ground I am sure that did cause a bit of soreness.
Ah, yes, a tiptoe across the line into the ODIC--just a tiptoe but...I was determined to explore a path I haven't walked in years--goes around a pond--and as I walked I remembered why I stopped walking it--it got very rough, rocky, up and down, narrow, etc. So glad I had my trekking poles! I finally turned around and headed for an easier to navigate path.

Rain all day yesterday--much needed. Some errand running, a visit with a friend, stuff around the house. About 5K steps at the end of the day, which is typical for me these days if I don't go for an exercise walk. I wore shoes I hadn't worn for a while and I think that was a mistake. Both knees were complaining at the end of the day and I think it was at least partly from wearing shoes with an old wear pattern. Saw the podiatrist today and need to make an appt with a pedorthist to have my orthotics tweaked.

I hope you find something fun to do in the rainy days ahead.
 
@gertie Just catching up with you and you sound like you are doing well with all your steps. You are amazing!

I met with a northern approach surgeon yesterday and liked him very much. The staff can’t schedule me until he returns from a week long conference, next week. I know I would be lucky to get a December date.

Continue to amaze us!
 
@VSlowLife So glad you found an OS you like and trust. I'm curious--what is the northern approach?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
A bike path walk today--beautiful day--various twinges and aches, everywhere but my new hip! In spite of roving sore spots, it felt good to move my legs.
[Bonesmart.org] Let's make it a matched set!
 
:wowspring:
Gorgeous landscape...really lovely.

By the by, I believe Northern Approach is another name for SuperPath.

Hope your weekend is sweet @gertie :flwrysmile:
 
@gertie, @Mojo333 The northern approach is also called the superior direct approach which is like the Superpath or SuperCap, but does not use their proprietary devices. The Mako robot is used with Stryker products and special jigs with this surgeon. Carpenters use jigs, too. I think it is very similar to your surgery. I know the doctor out of Boston who invented the SuperCap, has designed special jigs that he uses, too.

You have gorgeous scenery to view on your walks! It will be winter for my surgery. I was hoping for a winter recovery. I will be knitting.
 
Oh, @gertie What a beautiful view, so peaceful and lovely to look at--I am sure a sense of "all's right with the world" must take over when you're out for a stroll among such gorgeous vistas. Beautiful scenery, sunshine and functioning hips and legs--all the secret ingredients to put on a smile on your face! Thanks for sharing.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom