THR Let's make it a matched set!

@Barbaraj I do live in a sweet spot--all that's missing is ocean! I'm certainly thankful for the increase in walking ability--and looking forward to the time when the roving ouchies disappear.
 
Beautiful photo, gertie, thanks for sharing! Nothing like blue skies, sunshine and fresh air to make a walk
enjoyable. Wishing you many more before the season changes. Happy Sunday!
@gertie
 
Walking on uneven ground. the challenge!
I did it in the dark too for a tiny distance and my mind played head games with me. We were at a star party no flashlights allowed in a mowed area but it was rife with bumps.I shuffled like a penguin.. the winter ice walk.
Fall is here in New England along with everything pumpkin spice
Love being in the mountains 45 min from the ocean
It does lift your spirits!
 
Good morning, @gertie, I hope you're waking up to another gorgeous fall day in in New England, and maybe the possibility of another stroll through gorgeous scenery and maybe a decrease in the "roving ouchies" (love that descriptive term!) It's not raining here in the PNW--knock on wood--and I see some streaks of blue sky among the clouds. Of course, as an indoor exerciser this won't make a difference to my daily routine, but sunshine is a definite mood booster. Have a wonderful Sunday.
 
@Barbaraj I'm plotting where to walk today--maybe a shortish walk since I also have a lot of errand running and am feeling some stiffness after an event last night that involved a lot standing and chit-chatting (not my favorite kind of event!). But it's all good--and yes, another gorgeous day here. Have a wonderful Sunday yourself!
 
@mainegirl1 Oh, my, I can imagine the challenge of walking on uneven ground in the dark. Penguin steps for sure. But I bet it was worth it in the end to see the stars with no interference.

I'm 2 hours from the ocean--possible in a day but a lot of driving.
 
Hi, @gertie I'm with you about social events that involve a ton of standing and chit chat (cocktail parties in small rooms with not enough chairs to sit--ugh)! I often find a wall to hold up on the edge of the room and try giving my husband the "stink eye" that he knows means "I've had enough and I wanna go home". He is way more social than I am so this can be difficult sometimes, always just one more person to talk to--argh! Hope you were able to get up and out yesterday, and a pleasant day which wasn't too exhausting and was, like Goldilocks' choices, "just right". Cheers, and happy Monday!
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj My impulse is to peruse the bookshelves, find a good book, and retreat for the duration! Lovely day yesterday, got errands done but not all the chores so am in housework mode this morning. Left knee was sore yesterday--all the standing the night before? Who knows--but it really protested at the end of my grocery store trip. I kept my walk a bit shorter than other recent walks but did get out in the woods--and the knee felt better last night and is OK today. Hip has been just fine. Hope the start to your week is easy and smooth.
 
I think you are doing a great job, @gertie, at paying attention to your body and modifying your daily schedule as needed. The ebb and flow of recovery demands that we really pay attention and if we've overdone things, ease off the next day and, as you discovered, things are back to less discomfort the day after. Sunny but cool here today and if I were a walker it would be the perfect day for that. Instead it is a trip to the gym, home PT exercise and then a bunch of errands to run. It's been a good start to my week, and I'm happy with that. Cheers!
 
I had my 3 month follow up visit with the OS today, although I'm close to 4 months out from surgery. Short and sweet, cleared to do anything I want with the caution to listen to my body and not force movements (just what the PT says).

I asked specifically about across the body piriformis stretches and he said great, they'd be a good thing to do. I also asked about a leg length discrepancy. I had a noticeable one pre-op and eventually put a small lift in my right shoe. It's less noticeable now but still there. He said that looking at the xrays it's possible that I do have a slight difference in length--not enough that he'd say I had to get a lift but I could certainly try a small lift and see how it feels. The PT said she could help with that after I talked with the OS.

I also asked about the persistent soreness I've felt in my left knee when I go for my walks. It's not severe--a level 1 pain at most but pain free would be a nice thing! I mentioned the PT's concern about pronation. He said that could certainly be a contributing factor along with simply needing to regain muscle strength in my legs. After 4 surgeries in a short space of time I've got some rebuilding to do. For now I'll get my orthotics tweaked and work on those leg muscles and maybe try a small lift in my right shoe and if those things don't work or the pain gets worse I'll go see him again.

So, all in all, things are moving right along in the right direction.
 
What a wonderful visit with the OS you had yesterday!
It sounds like all your concerns were addressed and with a few tweaks you'll continue merrily on your way. Thanks for sharing the news. You're doing great and you've provided an inspirational update for those following behind.
Wishing you a lovely Saturday, gertie!
@gertie
 
Overall, a great follow up visit with OS! You really have had some major surgeries close together, haven't you? So it stands to reason that some muscles aren't pulling their weight, yet.
So, it's just a slight LLD, then. sigh.. I guess that isn't too bad of a thing, you seem to be managing it well. I didn't realize a PT could help with the lifts, though. Yours sounds like a good one, that is over half the battle!
Your walks sound lovely.. the picture you posted was so pretty!! I wonder if you are getting the brilliant sunshine that we have today? I bet you are.
Congrats with the great follow up and have a great weekend!
 
What a wonderful visit with the OS you had yesterday!
I had to chuckle a bit when I saw this because I was feeling a wee bit grumpy about driving for 1.5 hours round trip for a 5 to 10 minute visit with the doctor. At least he's jovial and personable, which so many orthos aren't.
 
I didn't realize a PT could help with the lifts, though
Jen said that they had heel lifts of various sizes available in the office, so we'll see. The LLD bothered me a lot more before I had the most recent hip surgery--if I walked without some sort of lift I felt lurchy. I'm not feeling that now but I do wonder if the LLD could be part of my left knee soreness.
 
BUT, those 5-10 minutes were worth it.
I'll bet the drive home was easier as you reflected on the reassurance offered and the knowledge that you're progressing as you should.
You are lucky he's personable, made for a pleasant five minutes. :heehee:
It's true....you don't get much more. You have to talk fast and listen well.
Have a good one!
@gertie
 
Yippee, @gertie , a a good check-in with your doctor and now just "go forth and just keep healing", what a great report. I am sure that given your multiple surgeries some muscle building is probably needed to get rid of residual pain but you sound as if you're happy with your PT provider and they're working with you to continue working on remaining issues. I bet you pretty much knew you were doing well before you went in for the check-in, but it's nice to get the satisfying confirmation from the doctor. Hope you walked out of the office with smile on your face, and "keep on doing what you're doing"; it's clearly working! Cheers!
 
@gertie Glad to hear your 3 month appt at nearly the 4th month went so well and that you have a jolly OS after such a long drive. Mine is the serious type, so far. You have been diligent about increasing your walking, so I was hoping all would be well. I am making a mental note that around 4 months, a one mile walk may be possible. I will have the same procedure you had.
In my younger years I ran 2-4 miles a day, and did an indoor treadmill. Then I went to Jazzercise classes for more overall fitness, until my right hip became a problem. I was doing long walks at the beach with my dog, too, with a dog walking group. I think sand would be too unstable to walk on for a while after hip surgery.
Sorry the one knee has been a bit of a bother. I like your attitude about trying to shake off any small twinges of pain elsewhere.
Did you find your leg length difference improved after surgery? Could the knee be reacting to that? I have about a 1/2” difference my OS said and offered to even me up with the surgery. My shorter leg has the worse hip. I hope to have a date this week. My OS has been at a conference and his staff would not schedule me while I was there. Sounds like he runs a tight ship.
I saw your thread on walking poles, and I know you bought a pair a little while back. What poles did you decide to get? Do they come with rubber tips for street walking? I have a long asphalt driveway and think that may be my winter outdoor walkway at first. It’s very level. So is my yard. It gets south sun all day. Light snow and ice quickly melt.
Glad you have so many options for trails and beautiful scenery. The air must be so oxygenated. So much nature to see as the seasons change, too.
 
@VSlowLife I posted about my hiking poles over on CricketHips thread. I have Black Diamond poles and I bought rubber tip covers to use on pavement--they snap on easily--I tend to keep them on even when I'm on a path since the paths are mostly pretty dry and packed down earth and I'm generally walking on level ground. If I were doing hilly, rough walking I'd take the protectors off.

I did have more of a LLD before this last surgery--the leg on the op hip side was shorter and I put a small lift in that shoe. It's certainly improved since the surgery but still a bit noticeable. I suspect the biggest issue with the left knee is pronation.

I'm pleased with a mile walking distance at this point but I suspect others on here are going further at the 3.5 month point--it really is all individual. I used to regularly go for 2 and 3 mile walks around nearby neighborhoods, seeking out hilly routes but as knees and then hips deteriorated, walks got shorter and shorter. If you've been able to maintain some distance until recently, you might regain that quickly post-op.

Hope you get a date this week.
 
Last edited:
Umm, I think you forgot something up there, @gertie :wink:
Like a message....maybe :shrug:
You gave me a good laugh anyway, lol.

I hope you have a a beautiful Autumn day on tap in your neck of the woods so you can get out on one of your peaceful nature walks.
Wishing you a good one!
 
@Layla--All sorted. A finger twitch and the silly thing posted before any words were on screen.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom