Guest viewing is limited

THR Let's make it a matched set!

Glad those walking poles are working for you, @gertie. And I'd not worry about what anyone in the neighborhood thinks--if they work for you, use 'em! In addition to helping you walk straighter and more confidently, they are useful for swiping at oblivious pedestrians glued to their phones who veer into your path. I really liked mine (could never figure out how to use more than one) for my first hip recovery, especially being able to stand up straight and put even weight on both hips and use the pole really more for balance than anything, and it really helped with my gait. Keep up the great work!
 
Good Afternoon, gertie
Yay for you getting out with the trekking poles. I hope you enjoyed your walk and the added benefit of less stress on your hips and knees. Easy to say, but I'd try to get over any apprehension of using them in your neighborhood. For those who wonder what they are, they can look online. For those who think they look silly, they're probably people who wish they were motivated to get outdoors walking themselves. You may inspire others to try them, OR to bring theirs out of hiding also. Walk tall, you're doing something healthy for yourself.
Enjoy the evening!
@gertie
 
Happy Thursday, @gertie, hope you're up and about and feeling positive. Yes, the balance aspect of walking poles is definitely critical. I got a new balance exercise at PT on Tuesday, which demonstrates how much I need to work on balance myself. Cheers! You are doing great--hope you've gotten in some nice walks, inside and out.
 
:hi: @gertie
Glad you are getting out and about on your poles.

Give them something to talk about!!:tada:
 
I got a new balance exercise at PT on Tuesday, which demonstrates how much I need to work on balance myself.
I'm curious what this exercise is @Barbaraj. Can you describe? I've been standing with feet heel to toe and trying to stay steady. She now wants me to either balance on one leg or do the heel to toe stance with my eyes closed. Or try heel to toe walking. All dismayingly challenging.
 
@Mojo333 Just to clarify, by heel to toe walking I meant walking like I'm on a tightrope (or being tested for drunkenness :)). And I Do need to practice the other kind of heel to toe walking (rolling through the entire foot). I seem to have gotten out of the habit of that on the left side--might date back to my ankle injury many years ago.
 
Oh, I gotcha. Yes, at 3 months I can imagine it could still be challenging.

I know one of my legs was definitely stronger than the other after my bilateral hip replacement so my balance was off for well up to 6 months. Not horribly, but still had to be mindful when on uneven surfaces, etc. I'm sure BarbaraJ will be along to let you in on her new exercise.
Keep the faith and keep trying...month four was when I saw the most improvement in strength and stamina.
 
Good morning, @gertie. The exercise I got was to stand on a pillow (I chose a fairly firm one) on one leg with the other one slightly bent up, and balance for 30 seconds. This is done standing near a countertop so you can grab it if you, invariably when you first start doing the exercise, start faltering. I am pretty good with my right leg, but not so great with my left--clearly need work but determined to work up to 30 seconds on each leg without faltering. I don't think I could do this with my eyes closed, that sounds really difficult (impossible) for now. But, it's a process!
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Barbaraj. I've done that exercise in previous rehab endeavors--and for some reason I find it easier to balance on a pillow than standing on the floor. My foot likes the softness? I, too, have a harder time with left than right--my poor left leg has recovered from a serious broken ankle and 2 joint replacements. I'm with you on having a hard time doing balance exercises w my eyes closed.
 
@gertie Might I suggest pole dancing!? :heehee: Just kidding!

One exercise I've incorporated into my daily routine the last few years is standing on one leg while I'm brushing my teeth. Seriously, this way it's built into my day and it really does help me with my balance. The last thing we hippies need is a fall because we don't have a good sense of balance. I suggested this to my stroke client who has tried it and loves it! Naturally, you don't want to fall and find your toothbrush painfully lodged in your tonsils! :yikes:

Stay close to sink or table when doing it.
 
I'm a big believer in integrating PT exercises into real life--things like doing side leg lifts while I'm standing at the sink or side stepping down the hall--means I'll actually do the exercises!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie You got it! It's amazing what we can do while taking a spin around the grocery store, standing in lines at the bank, washing dishes, etc. I'm big into functionality. When I was younger I was a major weight lifter, tennis player, aerobics, etc. I have found as I have gotten older, hopefully, a little wiser, that the exercises I do should mimic what I do in real life. Much fewer injuries, and I get good results!! Keep up the great recovery. You inspire all of us.

Sweet dreams... :sleep:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I wish I had the discipline to incorporate exercises into my regular activities. Unfortunately, I need to go somewhere and block off a set period of time to do my exercise, where I can focus and just get it done. I can do the PT exercises at home in my underwear, but I do change into workout clothes when I hit the gym. But whatever form of exercise works for you, @gertie, is the best approach. Funny how we're all so different in our approach.
 
@Barbaraj I suspect your approach results in more consistent workouts!

Sometimes I have days when my get up and go just wants to stay in bed--and today was one of those days. It's a beautiful day here--warm and sunny. I went for a walk on a nearby bike path--through woods, across a river--a lovely walk but I felt like I was dragging myself along. Probably a bit overdressed for the warm day, maybe a tad underhydrated. But...in spite of that I think I did a bit over a mile. Then went home, guzzled some water, stretched out with a book, and fell asleep. Hopefully I'll be perkier tomorrow!
 
Hi, @gertie, I hope you did indeed feel a bit more perky today. I think a nice mile stroll yesterday sounds like a good amount of exercise and no wonder you came home and fell asleep! I don't think how I approach exercise is any better than the next person's approach. The key, really and truly, is to find out what works best for YOU, doing what you enjoy (okay, maybe not "enjoy" but can tolerate) and will do consistently. I learned early on that I am not a "group exerciser" for the most part, and I prefer to just set myself the daily task of some sort exercise and then try to incorporate it into my routine like brushing my teeth. On my upbeat days I feel as if I'm doing well, and on other days I feel as if I'm not pushing myself hard enough and really should be focusing on doing more. But doing SOMETHING is the key.
 
Hi there,
I think with the major surgeries you've been through over the past three years it's understandable you're tired. Also I can imagine that some days you just don't want to get out of bed. It sounds like you have a lovely area nearby to get in your walks. Beautiful scenery certainly gives you something to enjoy along the way. You're a trooper, you've been through a lot. Hopefully it's the end of surgeries for you and a future of brighter days!
Have a great Monday :)
@gertie
 
Thanks @Layla. I suspect that Saturday's fatigue had more to do with a restless feline the night before, unusually warm weather, and not staying adequately hydrated rather than multiple surgeries! But I do feel de-conditioned, which is less about the surgeries themselves and more about the fact that I would just get to the point of feeling some level of good fitness and another joint would go downhill.

And I'm really lucky to have all these conservation areas to explore.
 
The key, really and truly, is to find out what works best for YOU, doing what you enjoy (okay, maybe not "enjoy" but can tolerate) and will do consistently.
So true! Walking outside is my favorite form of exercise. Like you, @Barbaraj, I don't like group exercise--thank you but no to classes! I know I SHOULD do strength training but have a hard time getting into a routine with it. In winter, when outdoor walking is more difficult because of icy pavements and roads, I key up low impact aerobic videos that I can do in my living room. They can get repetitive but I'm more likely to do them than go to a gym or get on an indoor bike or treadmill. (I once had a Nordic ski machine and then a stationary bike--and they both made great clothes dryers!)

But the good news is that exercise choices now revolve around what will keep us interested/committed rather than what will be least painful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom