THR Let's make it a matched set!

It takes time to coordinate and not lurch side to side
Haven't got them yet but will keep this in mind--I can see how this could happen. I have almost tripped myself a couple of times with the cane.
 
you ARE moving on able to resume your life
So true and such a pleasure. Several evening events this past week! Could never have managed that when I was in the thick of the energy drain (although I got home last night at 10:30 feeling exhausted).
 
Good morning, @gertie, it's a gloomy Sunday here in the PNW but I'm wishing you sunshine and warm temperatures as we're all sliding into fall. The northeast does fall so much better than we do--you get fall colors, we get gloomy days interspersed with rain. Hope you have a relaxing day with maybe a fun activity or two (I am also doubtful that grocery shopping, while necessary, has ever qualified as "fun stuff").
 
@Barbaraj Both groceries and a walk are on the agenda today--or at least a quick stop for cat food! Today started sunny but has clouded a bit--and it's cool. Feels like we've plunged into fall but I'm sure there will be warm days ahead. Hope you have a good day as well.
 
I managed the armless chair last night at the concert--the PT and I had worked on that movement earlier in the week--it worked best to swivel sideways and put one hand on the back of the chair and one on the seat--it wasn't graceful and a bit of grunting involved but I got up when I needed to

Not funny, but funny! Practicing getting in and out of chairs and grunting, lol. Who would have thought...
Pathetic lot we are for a time, right, dear Lynn? :heehee: Temporary though, only temporary. :yay:
Thanks for the :giggle:
I hope you have a nice evening!
 
@Layla I suspect I've been grunting when getting up from low chairs or after sitting for extended periods for quite a while now! My sister used to quote Sophia Loren--something about nothing ages a woman as much as grunting when you stand up. I've repeated this to friends and when we find ourselves groaning and grunting when we stand up, we look at each other and laugh. Ah, well! Re: the PT--this is actually what I value about this woman--she focuses on the functional stuff. Having a hard time getting those quads and hip flexors to fire? OK, find a safe, supported way to do the daily movements that use those muscles and get them working again.
 
Week 11 update

Each week I feel like I move more fully into my life and out of recovery mode although there are still things to work on (being able to bend or crouch down low for gardening, etc., is at the top of the list). I still pay attention to my hip and other muscles/joints/soft tissue and back off of activities if body parts are feeling too stiff and sore but I can do more and more before that happens.

Last week included a potluck with lots of standing around and chatting before sitting down to eat, cooking dinner for a friend and then going to a concert, going to supper at a friend's house (first time at their house since a week or two before surgery) along with several lunch and coffee dates with friends and of course, house tidying and grocery shopping and laundry and trash duty. I also spent some time working at my desk rather than reclined with feet up and laptop in lap (and oh my do I need a new desk chair).

As I mentioned above, walks got shoved aside for other activities most days. Thursday was the only day I went into the woods and walked. I felt it when I went for a walk yesterday--no great distance, mostly level ground, easy terrain and I was wiped out by the time I got back to the car. Part of the problem was a couple of nights of restless sleep (not hip related) and just generally being tired but I also felt like overall conditioning had regressed a bit so this week I'm going to try to engage in some kind of walk or other sustained activity every day, even if just for 10 minutes.

When I get sore or feel muscle fatigue it's more likely to be around my replaced knees than my hips, although if I really get tired, my thighs and hips complain as well. I think most of my knee pain is IT band related but there might also be some stressed ligaments/muscles due to quads having lost some tone. Anecdotally I've heard from others I know who have had both hip and knee replacements that their knees are more apt to be irritable and cranky long term than hips--I think it's just a more complicated joint.

I have a somewhat quieter week coming up--appointments and meetings today and tomorrow and then 3 open days--if the weather cooperates it should be a good week for woodsy walks!
 
Sounds like a good 11 week update, @gertie Are things at 100%? No, but you are continuing to make progress and that's what we all need to focus on, I believe. It's easy to just worry about the various aches and pains we're still experiencing and forget to celebrate that we can go to parties, and cook for friends, concerts, and all the other house chores which, before surgery, would have been so hard and perhaps even impossible. I think your attitude is great--to keep track of your progress but not get sucked into frustration and irritability because, gosh darn it, recovery is just plain SLOW sometimes. I think your life sounds full and happy, and I hope the knee aches dissipate some this week as you've said you've a few unscheduled days ahead this week. A nice woodsy walk plus some plopping in a comfortable chair will probably help ease those body aches. Have a good Monday.
 
@Barbaraj I suspect getting new orthotics will do a lot for the knee aches--appt w the podiatrist coming up!
 
I've never had orthotics but I have heard that for folks that need them and are properly fitted they can be super helpful and aches and pains can be banished--I hope that's the case for you, too. Otherwise, hope you're doing well, @gertie, and that the appointment with your podiatrist goes well. Rainy here--again--this morning but I'm off to PT shortly and hopeful that this will help boost my mood a bit.
 
@Barbaraj I first got orthotics because of foot problems--I'd had an OS tell me i absolutely needed surgery to correct the foot probs but I wasn't able to take time off at that point so I got custom made orthotics instead--that was almost 20 years ago and my feet have been fine. Moral of the story: some surgeons are all too eager to slice and dice. I haven't updated these because I keep having another replacement in the offing but now all is done, it's time for reassessment. I don't see the podiatrist until end of the month.

A rainy day here and there is a boon but day after day?? I'd have a hard time I think. Hope that PT is a good mood booster for you today.
 
Your doing very well! Your life seems active and full with dinners out, a concert, hosting company, lunch and coffee dates sprinkled in along with the activities of daily living. I hope you're able to make it out for one of your woodsy walks after the appointments of yesterday and today are behind you.
Thanks for the update...keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the week!
@gertie
 
@gertie Glad to hear you are doing so well at 11 weeks and that orthotics have served you so well. For some reason, I found Vionic shoes and sandals were more comfortable for my bad hip, and older feet, than custom orthotics.
I enjoyed reading your comment about the grunting sounds women can make as they get older from rising from a seat. My dad would say he took a “set” when he had trouble rising because he was stiff.
 
Good morning, @gertie, I hope this is the start of a good day for you, with appointments last week over with (hope they all went well, with encouraging reports) and maybe if it's not too nasty outside you'll be able to get in a walk, so good for your physically and mentally restorative as well. I slept poorly last night so still flouncing around in my bathrobe at the moment, but need to do my home PT exercises before showering and getting dressed. Slow morning here, but another day on the recovery road for all of us. Cheers!
 
Week 12--imagine that!

Cool and sunny here. @Barbaraj the appointments last week weren't medical so nothing to report! I did not get out for a walk every day--weather interfered a couple of days and general busyness another day but I did get a few walks in. I still haven't greatly increased distance so that's one thing I want to work on. I'm at that stage where it feels like progress is slow. I do my few PT exercises but they feel really easy so I think I need to ask her about stepping up that game.

At week 12 I'm supposedly released from any precautions although I don't have my "3 month" follow up until early October., which is when I get the "official" release. But I've been gently bending forward more--not enough yet to tie shoes but approaching that point.

And that's the report, short and sweet! I have desk work to do this afternoon but think I'll go for a walk first.
 
Hello and a happy Monday to you:wave:
You're getting there, gertie. Slowly but surely. I'll bet you'll be happy to have the restrictions lifted.
Not long now...
Enjoy your walk today. I'll bet with the cooler temps you're getting some color changes in the foliage. We are here and it's beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful week!
@gertie
 
I used my new trekking poles on my walk today. This is a short, easy walk but it is on a dirt trail with some rocks and roots. I really liked using the poles--took a bit of stress off hips and knees, my gait felt strong and even, I stood up straight (which I don't think I do with a cane), they helped with balance when I had to step over a log that blocked the path. I suspect I'd feel a bit self-conscious using them around my neighborhood but I might just have to get over that since, in addition to the above benefits, I suspect they increase my aerobic workout since I'm pumping my arms as well as moving my legs.
 
You just might start a new trend in your neighborhood with the trekking poles. They are wonderful for the back being kept straight and I found my arms tightened up with using them before. Much better than a cane. For me it also helped decrease thumb pain as I have arthritis in my thumb joints and the cane aggravates it if using for any length of time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom