THR Let's make it a matched set!

10 weeks today.
It's a rainy Labor Day here, although since I'm semi-retired/semi-self-employed 3 day weekends don't have the same meaning they used to have. I talked to a friend earlier and we both agreed we were looking forward to a rainy, hunker down day. I suspect I'll get my exercise today letting the cat in and out--he doesn't understand that if it's raining in the front yard, it's also raining in the back. So, it's in the front door and out the back and repeat.
--I edged toward the ODIC over the weekend and felt quite achy last night but all is well today. Coffee with a friend on Saturday, then a walk and a bunch of errands--multiple times in and out of the car. A longer walk on Sunday--might have been close to a mile--and then a grocery store trip later in the day. Although I deliberately kept the shopping list small I still went up and down most aisles and walked from one end of the store to the other. When I first got home from the shopping trip my knees were sore so I stretched out with ice packs on the knees. The knees settled down but then my butt and hip muscles around the op hip sounded off so an ice pack went to bed with me.
--I continue to feel some impatience. Why aren't I walking further? Why am I slow to rebuild stamina? But then I remind myself that pre-op I had to choose between exercise and errand running--never did both on the same day--so a walk, even a short one, and then 4 or 5 errands is a big deal. And in the last few months pre-op, exercise was never an option--it was all I could manage tending to life maintenance.
--Did not shop for trekking poles Saturday--another errand took precedence--so that is still on the list.
--I have several night-time social engagements on the calendar in the coming week. I'm a bit apprehensive about seating at these events. Low couches? Folding chairs with no arms? Hmm... We'll see how it goes.
 
@gertie Just checking in to see how you are doing. I am in that life maintenance, pre-op stage, you so well described, watching and learning, as you emerge from it, post surgery. I am also watching Elf1, and occasionally a few others.
You are making progress! You almost walked a mile and you were getting out and about. I could only dream of doing 4 or 5 errands in one day! Wish I could do that!
It seems your cat is determined to make you walk extra steps. I suppose it’s a good thing for movement, overall.
I have a big dog, with only one door, from which he can access the fenced part of the yard. He will involve some planning when the time comes.
With major surgery, I imagine the body may need protein and calories for healing, at the same time we wish it to hurry up and build muscles. It just can’t happen fast enough for anyone.
I keep two thick, kitchen chair cushions in my car, for low seats now, if I go out, but you also need the help of an arm chair. Do you have a portable walker with a seat? I am thinking maybe you could lock the brakes and sit on that with a cushion? My cushions have Velcro straps for wrapping around to hold them in place. I think maybe in two more weeks your restrictions will be lifted?
 
@VSlowLife I've thought about taking a cushion with me--I should stow something in the car. The problem isn't restrictions--just glute and hip flexor strength. I haven't used a walker since the first week to 10 days and don't need one at this point, even on tired days. Worst case, I get someone to haul me up!

Is there someone who can help you with your dog? I hired someone to help out with litter box cleaning at first.
 
I suspect I'll get my exercise today letting the cat in and out--he doesn't understand that if it's raining in the front yard, it's also raining in the back. So, it's in the front door and out the back and repeat.

That is funny, made me laugh!

Thankfully you'd didn't get sidelined in the ODIC. It sounds like you're doing really well. You're actively out moving about and engaging in life. At only two months post op I wish you'd cut yourself some slack. You must recall from your knee surgeries two years ago that it takes a while to build strength and stamina. It also seems that as we age, it's harder to bounce back from many things as quickly as we would have in years gone by. Wondering if you have, or would consider purchasing some type of cushion to use at your upcoming social engagements so you're comfortable...something to consider. I can't imagine anyone not being sympathetic to the fact you just experienced major surgery two months ago.

You're progressing at a good pace, keep it up and have a great week!
 
Wondering if you have, or would consider purchasing some type of cushion to use at your upcoming social engagements so you're comfortable
Well, before my first THR back in 2016 I purchased a 2" deep cushion designed for THR recovery--and never used it. It just wasn't comfortable to sit on. So it got tossed when I did a major closet cleanout last fall. I'll look around my house and see if there's anything I can take with me to boost things a bit.
 
Good morning, @gertie, it sounds like you successfully survived a fairly busy Labor Day weekend, even a rainy Labor Day with cat door opening (very amusing). By the way, I have a "stadium cushion" so it's fairly firm foam, but I can bring it in (has a built in handle) for restaurants with hard wooden seats. I keep it in the trunk of my car. But sounds like, for you, it's really more about a cushion to raise you up, not deal with the discomfort of sitting. I'd say a shopping trip to go check out some cushions might be in order. I know you're impatient with the pace of recovery (aren't we all?!) but I agree that you're actually doing pretty darn well. Compare and contrast where you are now with right before surgery--I'm betting a HUGE improvement! Have a good day, whatever you're up to, and hoping the rains have eased up a bit so you can get out and about if you feel like it. Cheers!
 
@gertie at times I have kept a thick, folded blanket in my car, which might work for you, since you do not need a cushion for long. I had some big quilting safety pins and used them to keep the ends together. Or you could do a few temporary stitches to have the same effect.
I keep my walker outside, bungee corded to my fence, hidden by my garbage pale, to carry things from my car to the house. Only if I get into the ODIC, do I need It. I have back issues, so it is a help in that way, too.
Dear friends, did take my dog for a smaller surgery this year, and he had to stay in his big crate at night, so he would not jump into bed to sleep with the family, etc. Not everyone wants a dog who runs like a horse all over their home and yard, so I was very lucky. However he did have a zeal for chasing their cat, who lives with their much smaller dog, ( he grew up with a cat, but she passed last year) and as he casually passed by, their just uncovered pool, for spring cleaning, he did a belly flop in, before it was cleaned! So they had to recover the pool and delay cleaning it, for a few days. And we had to clean him off. I do not think a big dog will ever be in their future. It was a learning experience!
 
@Layla That cushion does look comfy--but is marked as unavailable on Amazon! Have a good weekend!
 
Thanks @gertie
I wonder if it's temporarily unavailable, or discontinued? I'll need to check that out.
I hope the weather is nice in your area and you have a wonderful weekend!
 
@Layla It was one of those not available at this time messages.

Dorian is supposed to travel north off the New England coast and bring us some showery weather tonight and tomorrow morning and then lovely and fall-like days ahead.
 
Oh that's right....Dorian is still hanging around. Hopefully your weekend isn't a total washout out.
The nasty weather of this weekend will usher in some beautiful Autumn days just around the corner!
Enjoy!
@gertie
 
HI @gertie I am not walking as much as I had hoped for, opting to use my energy for working, household things and errands. I hope that helps you feel like you are on a good recovery path..or maybe not. You may think that I am on a bad recovery path.. :shocked:
We are so close with our surgery dates and I think we are doing just fine.. I'm a week or two slower in my recovery than my first hip but I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Good luck with your outings and seating arrangements.
 
@Layla Rain last night but I woke to a sunny morning--haven't stepped outside yet so don't know the temp. I suspect it's cool.

@CricketHip Oh, I know that calculation re: energy--I've also been doing more "stuff" and less exercise walking--household tasks, going to a concert, meetings, potlucks, etc. And I also feel like this recovery is lagging a couple of weeks behind the first one. In my case, I chalk it up to having had several surgeries shortly before this one--my first hip was my first big surgery in 30 plus years.

I managed the armless chair last night at the concert--the PT and I had worked on that movement earlier in the week--it worked best to swivel sideways and put one hand on the back of the chair and one on the seat--it wasn't graceful and a bit of grunting involved but I got up when I needed to. My hip was not happy about sitting for a lengthy stretch but got over it fairly quickly.
 
Morning @gertie. Trying to find that balance of activity can be frustrating. I had PT yesterday morning, then I rested so I could shop for a cook out. I was planning on getting my weekly shopping done also. Well that did not happen just shopping for birthday gift and cook out was it. Anyway I guess it's give and take with planning what needs done making sure we get the fun stuff in there to keep us smiling! Take care.
 
@gertie
I am guilty of romanticizing my first THR.. it was such a relief to have it over with and lucky for me it was a smooth recovery.. but just like childbirth, I've conveniently forgotten some of the downsides to the surgery.
The current THR reminded me soon enough. I still think it's all worth it, we just get impatient to move on. :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning, @gertie. I so prefer walking which isn't associated with exercise but rather doing--and accomplishing--various chores around the house and other activities like concerts and potlucks, so in your shoes I'd consider your recent progress to be really good. Even if your perception is that you're lagging with this second hip surgery compared to #1, the fact is that you ARE moving on able to resume your life and although, yes, there will be grunting and awkward movements, you are still getting up and about--life resumes! Have a great day.
 
@gertie

Hiking poles 2. Be patient. It takes time to coordinate and not lurch side to side
But it will get better
I've been using them for years for hiking in the White Mtns
 
I am guilty of romanticizing my first THR.
Oh, yeah! It helps me to look back at my BS thread for that recovery--it confirms that I was a bit ahead in terms of being out and about but it also talks about worries and a dip into the ODIC because of doing too much too soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom