Guest viewing is limited

THR Let's make it a matched set!

@Layla I have a love/hate w fall--mostly because winter is next! I like the warmth of summer and the long light.

The cane doesn't help much right now--need that railing for anything over 4 or 5". Something to work on!
 
Hi Gertie,
I am glad you are doing well. You strike me as a strong, determined person. You will get through this with flying colors. Four surgeries in three years is tough, but hopefully this will be the last one for a while.
I think you had the SuperCap procedure, but there is still quite a bit of healing going on. There was a entertaining fellow “Z” who had posted some remarkable videos on YouTube regarding his SuperCap results, but his thread tells the real sober, healing story.
I appreciate all your comments because you live alone and so do I. It sounds like stairs are a challenge at the moment. Were you having difficulty with stairs before, or is this temporarily due to the surgery? I think they still separate the gluteus maximus fibers with SuperCap and I wonder if this makes it difficult to navigate stairs, until it is healed and strengthened?
I measured my steps to get in my house and they are 7 1/2”. I replaced my old handrail with an ADA compliant railing last week, and it is much easier for me to grab to pull myself up the two steps of the porch, but it’s 9” to actually get up into the house. I may need to screw in a grabber bar like my neighbor did. I find myself using the wall as a hook to get into the house some days.
I am very thankful for you sharing the ups and downs of your pre and post surgical experience.
Wishing you continued healing and great happiness when those restrictions are lifted.
 
@VSlowLife I'll look for Z on YouTube! I had direct superior approach, which is similar to SuperCap but might be less high-tech. Stairs were a challenge after my staged TKRs in the summer of 2017. Part of the problem is that I live in a 1 story house and the entry way stairs are low (4" rise) so I didn't need to build up those stair climbing muscles in order to function in my house.

I bought a step (like the kind used for step aerobics) and worked out with that and gradually got the strength back, with my right leg being the stronger leg, and regained confidence in navigating all kinds of steps. And then my right hip started to decline and gradually stairs again became difficult. Pre-op I relied on my left leg, which has never been as strong. So, I'm once again where I was just after the TKRs. I can navigate stairs fine with a railing but don't have the strength to step up without one.

I, too, used to have a high step up into my house and had a grab bar installed, which helped, but before the first THR I had a handy friend build and install a 4 inch step in front of the step into the house so now I have 2 manageable steps. You might not have room to do that but if you do...I recommend it.
 
@gertie John Zahara. He was also known as Z in the forum. He had SuperCap with Dr. Murphy, I think. The superior direct approach may be essentially the same but no use of the Mako robot? I think Dr. Stephen Murphy in Boston designed some kind of hip navigation device that helps him set the correct angles without a robot arm. I am sure he has taught many other doctors to use it,too. Those robots are a million dollars each.
Thank you for the suggestion to have a smaller step built for the entrance to the house. I do have enough room to build a small platform. I will try that before thinking about a grab bar.
I had lived in a home with no stairs and it was such a learning curve for my legs to be living with stairs again. I understand. So sorry you are back to where you were after your TKRs, but it sounds like you have the tools to build yourself back up as this THR heals.
I have a step platform, too and some other balancing devices to help with strength and balance. My bad hip side also does not balance as well. I was able to ask the PT for the names of some simple balancing devices we used and found them on Amazon at reasonable prices.
I had two banisters installed on the stairway to my basement, and it really helps me pull up the weaker hip when it is getting fatigued.
 
@Layla I have a love/hate w fall--mostly because winter is next! I like the warmth of summer and the long light
Me too! Don't like winter. Still 90 degrees here and I'm already getting sad as September approaches.

Strength and confidence required for those stairs with no railings. Took me a while...long while.
Toddler style was my go to, unabashedly.
Was NOT falling down and going boom and messing up my good new hips.
Hope the rest of your week is sweet @gertie
 
Hi @gertie :hi: We are faring pretty well aren't we? Your woodland walks sound so nice. I have to comment on how strange it seems to me that people don't have railings on their stairs.. I mean doesn't everybody eventually need some help? :chinstroke:
 
how strange it seems to me that people don't have railings on their stairs.
I know! I think sometimes it's youthful (or middle age) denial/ignorance--buy or build the house when you're in your 30s or 40s and it never occurs to you that you might need something more accessible someday (or your friends might). What really puzzles me are friends of mine who are buying houses now, when they're in their 70s, who buy houses without front step railings. Do they think they're invincible?
 
Hi, @gertie, hope you are having a good day today. After an uncomfortable day yesterday--much too warm for this "heat weenie"--it is much cooler and more comfortable here in the PNW today. I agree stairs without railing are challenging at best, but slow and steady will work, I'm convinced. I had to come down some stairs without railings the other day and I agree with you, as a recovering hipster, it can be a bit scary. Hope you get out for a nice walk today.
 
Last edited:
@Barbaraj Scary, yes. Immediately pre-op I managed with a cane but my left hip (older THR) has lost some strength in the recovery period and my right hip is of course a bit weaker so that complicates things. But I've got the exercise step set up and try to use it every day to work those muscles a bit.
 
It's a gorgeous day here after a rainy day yesterday. I went for a woodsy walk this afternoon--not sure of distance but it felt like a good but not taxing bit of exercise. Had the cane with me but didn't always use it.
 
Glad to know you are using the step platform to gain strength, @gertie . Do you have it on the basic level, or have you been able to add some height? Glad you had a nice day to get out for a walk around nature. I am looking forward to taking walks post surgery one day, too.
Regarding home exercise, I posted some of the most simple balance and leg exercises PT gave me on my kitchen cabinet, where I could hold onto the counter and do them, or use a kitchen chair. My right leg had been assessed as having significantly weaker muscles compared to the left (good hip).
@Barbaraj Regarding the discussion about railings. One lesson I learned was to never go up someone’s staircase with no banister because it is too easy to loose your balance on the way down. Please be very careful.
 
@VSlowLife I have the basic plus one set of risers so it's at 6". For 7 or 8" I can just use my back steps but I want to get comfortable w the 6" step first. And yes, my fridge is the posting point for PT exercise sheets!
 
Your walk today reminds me of mine, when I had that moment when I realized it was much easier tonight! On uneven ground, even!
And you were opting not to use your cane the entire time- which is a big deal on trails. :flwrysmile: :walking:
 
Carol--I did use the cane some of the time and carried it some of the time. There are some rooty/rocky spots where the cane was essential for balance and then I simply started to feel some muscle fatigue. One trip this weekend will be to buy trekking poles!
 
Although I didn't use trekking/walking poles for this recovery, @gertie, I definitely used one (couldn't figure out how to use two of them, I am a bit uncoordinated) for my first recovery and it was great--good for balance and for keeping clueless pedestrians at bay, you know--the kind that are glued to their cellphones as they're walking by and not paying any attention to those in their path! I hope you have a good Friday and a happy weekend.
 
Last edited:
You are making progress and building muscle at the six inch mark, @gertie ! That is great. I am so happy for you that you feel well enough to do this. I checked my set, and I can go up to 9”. One less thing I need to buy.
True, a regular step can get you to 7 or 8” and yes, the refrigerator is another good place to keep PT exercises. We spend quite a bit of time in the kitchen, so it’s a good reminder place.
I have read quite a few people like trekking poles, and they look much more athletic than a cane. Hope you find some to your liking.
 
I have been catching up on your thread, and so enjoy the practical and reasonable way you break each new challenge down into small incremental steps, identify tools to assist you in overcoming the challenges, and consistently chip away at your goals. It’s very inspiring!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom