THR Let's make it a matched set!

@leejaa Not yet but I'm thinking I might purchase some. I bought some cheap ones a few years ago from Target but they are hard to adjust for height and don't stay adjusted--not safe. So I recently stopped into a local sporting good store and tried some out--a bit more expensive but hopefully more reliable! I might use them now on pavement as a transition off the cane for longer walks (and some upper body workout) and then later for trail walking. Great idea to use them getting into the pond.

Wow, great report, @gertie. I think you'll find walking or hiking poles to be useful. You will continue to walk without them, but they will be helpful to provide a bit of balance, particularly on rougher terrain. It's great that you're mostly able to walk solo when you are doing indoor things, or visiting restaurants or stores. Doesn't it feel great? I hope PT goes well for you. I loved PT last time, and I'm eager to get back into it with targeted exercises to work on my gait (which can FINALLY be dealt with now I've got two new hips) as well as strength and flexibility in my lower body. I will be five weeks on Wednesday and the week after that is my six week check up and, I hope, I'll exit the doctor's office with a PT referral. Sounds like you've worked with this therapist before and you trust her as she's done well with you. That is really important. Happy Monday!

Happy Monday @gertie
Eight weeks already, Wow! Sorry you're feeling sleep deprived this morning due to cat shenanigans :catbutterfly:
Hopefully you can catch a nap later on today. :fingersx:
It sounds like you're making progress with walking outdoors, extending time and distance. You're wise to hold onto the cane while put on uneven terrain until you're feeling even stronger and more stable. It's good to hear your PT is gentle on you. I hope you have a great first session. Let us know how it goes and have a great day!

I saw Jen the PT today. She gently moved my leg around and took some measurements, watched me walk down the hall unassisted, and we chatted a bit. Very low key. She thinks my gait is really good and strong, says to use the cane or trekking poles if I'm tired or on uneven ground to keep the gait strong but mostly it's not needed. I've been getting stiffness and slight soreness in left knee which she thinks is because I'm pronating and suggests getting an adjustment to my orthotics but not yet getting fitted for new ones. She advises waiting on that until more healing has happened, muscles have stretched out or tightened up or whatever they need to do, etc. Maybe October.

I've also had a nagging little pinchy pain in my left hip, near the groin. She said it could be tight muscles or just a general protest at having to take the burden for so many weeks--and she said sometimes there can be sympathetic pain--so if I had pain at that point on my right hip (which I did pre-op and for the first couple of weeks post-op), my brain might register that pain also in the same spot on the left hip. Interesting.

She gave me some very gentle stretches to do and said I could do some gentle strengthening--no weights or therabands, just moving my leg to the side or marching or sidestepping--and don't do anything that causes pain. Since my gait is good she doesn't think much PT intervention is needed at this point. Once I've been officially released from precautions we can work more assertively on bendiness and strengthening but for now, cautious and gentle is the way to go. I see her again in 2 weeks.

The PT referral form said that I should go several times a week for 8 weeks. Jen rolled her eyes at that, saying it's too early in recovery to undertake that kind of PT.

Oh @gertie great news about your PT. I especially loved the last part about it being too early for heavy duty Exercise.
You and I are coasting right along! I need to update me thread, too.
Congrats of your wonderful progress! :yes!:

Sounds like you've got a smart PT person, @gertie Glad you got some gentle stretching but taking it slow seems like the better way to go. PT can be great, but overly aggressive PT can be disastrous from what I've read on this forum. A few gentle stretches and then building up from there in time sounds quite sensible to me. And I'd be really tempted to poke that cat if he had the temerity to sleep all day after being such an annoyance all night!

@Barbaraj If he'd made himself visible I would have poked away! He had the smarts to snooze under the bed.

Happy Saturday, @gertie I hope your cat behaved last night so you were able to do some sleep catch up. Not sure what it's like in your neck of the world, but here's hoping for moderate temperatures and sunshine. Time for a little walk today? Hope the gentle stretching is going well and slowly providing a bit of relief. So eager for my six week check in next Tuesday, and the referral (I hope) to PT. I am definitely itching to get back into doing some sort of stretching/strengthening routine. I feel I'm ready for that and, for me, the key will be to take it slow and easy. I am often not very good at that, but I'm going to try! Have a great day.

@Barbaraj Thanks for checking in! it's a beautiful day here and I'm heading out soon to buy peaches. I think I'll get enough to freeze for winter use. I haven't been doing as much stretching as I should I think--it feels almost too gentle. And I've been tending to some foot problems--minor but annoying. I really want to wear my more supportive tie shoes for walking greater distances but I can't tie them myself yet.

I've mentioned before that the most frustrating thing about the OS practice I go to is their lack of agreement re: precautions. My OS--the new guy in the practice--has said directly to me that he doesn't think they're needed, just use common sense--but everyone else thinks that precautions are needed for 12 weeks. So, the PT referral, which was written by the PA I saw for 4 week follow up, said clearly to observe all precautions which ties Jen's hands re: helping me regain the ability to tie shoes, etc. :gaah:

However, I will enjoy this glorious weather and shuffle along in less than ideal shoes!

Peaches...yummy! Sounds like you're going to enjoy a beautiful Saturday. Well deserved.
It's a special day...stopping by your thread to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!

While many OS's still impose restrictions, more and more of them aren't any longer.
I'd abide by my OS's instruction over the PA's or PT's. Could the PA be meaning in his written instruction to abide by all restrictions, IF any were given? But in your case, there weren't any restrictions, so Voila, you're good to go? I'd be tempted to call the office to clarify that.

Enjoy this beautiful Anniversary day! :)
@gertie

@Layla Oh, the PA meant abide by THR precautions, full stop. And it would be pointless to call the practice. There are several surgeons in this practice and my OS has been successful in moving them out of the dark ages on several fronts (glue rather than staples, no TEDs, etc.) but hasn't shifted them on the precautions front. And the PAs don't seem to be able to differentiate--oh, you're Dr. Kelly's patient so no precautions. Sigh. I like my OS a lot but the larger practice is a one-size-fits-all behemoth.

I had a conversation with the PA at the 4 week appt. Me: So, I can be gently bending more right? PA: Not until after you've had the 3 month follow up with Dr. Kelly. Me: But Dr. Kelley told me that he doesn't believe in precautions, just use common sense. PA: He doesn't believe in precautions after the 3 month follow up. Me (to myself because I know it's a losing battle): Nope, he clearly said no precautions.

The problem is that I'm very stiff and would like to work with the PT to safely start reaching for my feet but her hands are tied because of what the referral says--she'd be liable if we worked on greater forward bending, etc., and something happened.

Jen, the PT, said that she's recently seen a couple of people recovering from dislocations but in both cases it was because they didn't pay attention to messages from their bodies and pushed a range of motion too far even though it was clear their hip didn't want to go there--so I think she's probably of a similar mindset to the OS--be sensible. Oh, well. I will survive for another month without a lot of bendiness!

Oh, how maddening this must be, @gertie! There are clearly some advantages to a big practice, I'm sure, but it does seem as if they need to get their collective act together regarding restrictions. If I were in your shoes, I'd "mostly" follow the precautions but I'd also break loose a bit and try a bit of gentle stretching at home, monitoring how your body reacts and immediately pulling back if there is a problem. I'd be stretching a bit every morning and during the day down towards my feet (errr...that's what I did daily until I am now, hurray, able to reach my feet to pull on socks and shoes). But here I am suggesting that you be a bit of a "rebel" when I was still in those frustrating compression stockings for the full four weeks, while so many on the forum have said they "lost 'em in the wash". Only you can figure out what works for you, and what rules you're willing--or not--to slavishly follow. While you don't have a license to go out and be foolish, seems if your OS says you have no restrictions then maybe nudging yourself a little wouldn't be terrible.

Last edited:
This is amusing in the sense that I wasn't given any restrictions / precautions but loosely followed them on my own. My feelings were, what's good for some, certainly can't hurt. I still think it may be worth a try to communicate with the PA again explaining your frustration and desire to get a release to be able to work more effectively with your PT. You're in a predicament for sure and it sounds like your therapist is the overly cautious type. You will survive another month as you mentioned following the protocol your therapist deems as doctor's orders. Don't forget about walking which as you know is most often suggested here as the best exercise for recovering hip. You're doing great, Lynn!
I hope you have a wonderful Sunday! :)
@gertie

@Layla It's a little over a month 'til I meet with the OS and I'll certainly let him know about my frustration with this situation but there's no point in chatting with the PA. I may try some gentle reaching down the inside of my leg and see how it feels. It's really just the bending forward right now--I'm happy to save the leg crossing, etc., for later.

In retrospect it would have made sense to get a PT referral from the OS when I saw him prior to surgery--I doubt he would have put in the info about precautions.

You're doing okay anyway. It will all work out perfectly I'm sure. :yes:
You're a fully bionic babe :wink: And you're doing amazingly well!
@gertie

9 weeks today!
It's a chilly morning here in MA--temperature on the back porch first thing was 48. Yikes. I can feel myself slipping into back to school mode, which isn't a bad thing. Cooler temps brings more energy although I kind of miss the leisurely, lanquid mornings on the porch.

--I and a friend whose husband uses a wheelchair have been exploring various accessible woodsy trails near us--fairly level and free of roots/rocks, etc. Explored one on Saturday and another yesterday. Not especially long but felt like good exercise for my out of shape self. Didn't have my FitBit on so I'm not sure of distance--probably somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 mile each walk. New hip felt a bit tired but not in a lasting way. Left knee was a bit stiff and sore but also not lasting (I need to get orthotics tweaked).
--Not using cane except for the longer walks and sometimes first thing in the morning.
--As I'm spending more time inside with cooler temperatures, I'm assessing my living room furniture, especially places to relax with feet up in the evenings. My couch is very soft and not really all that comfortable for lower back or hips. I don't really want to spend big $$$ on furniture but I might start looking around for something firmer and hopefully on sale.
--One of my continuing challenges right now is dealing with steps that have no railing--which is the case with most people's houses around me. If the steps are low--4" risers for example--I'm fine. That's what I have at my house. But most people have 7 or 8" risers on their front steps and if there's no railing I feel unsafe, especially stepping down. A cane helps but...I really love railings. I went through this with the other replacements and had just started to feel more confident when the hip went bad. I know that increasing strength and working on balance will address this but it takes time.

And that's it on this autumn-like day.

Hi, @gertie Sounds like a beautiful autumn day although it's August and, in my humble opinion, those fall days need to hold off until at least September. We're in for a week of warmer temperatures in my neck of the woods so a good end to the month weather-wise. Sounds like you've been getting out on some nature walks and doing well. A bit of tightness/soreness in your hip and knee doesn't sound like it's long lasting, and must be nice to get out in the woods with a friend for some exercise. Take those higher stairs slowly and deliberately, I am sure it is a bit anxiety producing when there is no railing but you are right that with time and some exercise to improve balance and strength, you will end up being more confident about his. Seems like you're doing pretty well overall--enjoy your day!

Last edited:
@Barbaraj I'm with you on fall holding off until September at least. Sun's out so it will warm up. RE: stairs. I tested myself on my back steps, which are about 7" risers, and needed the railing--the cane by itself wasn't enough to boost me up. Pre-op my left leg hoisted me up, with assistance from the cane at times, but after 2 months of not climbing higher stairs, I've lost that strength. Sigh, sigh, and sigh again.

Happy Nine Weeks to you!

Forty Eight degrees is definitely a cool morning. Autumn is in the air, my favorite season. Hopefully you love it also.

Your woodsy trail walks sound relaxing. Taking in the sights, sounds and scents of the woods is a great way to get in some healthy exercise. Hopefully you're comfortable using a cane to navigate these higher stairs until your strength and balance improve. Consider purchasing a fold up version, easier to tote around, to have accessible each time you encounter a set of higher stairs. Want you to be safe, no falling allowed. :)

Enjoy your beautiful Autumn day!
@gertie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks