Guest viewing is limited

THR Let the recovery begin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pam, glad your blue cloud is lifting.
All this is good to know for us who are waiting.....
Follow those rules, and you will do well.
I got it! :tada:
 
14 days post-op today...Looking forward to tomorrow's post-op follow up appointment with OS. Get staples out and get some answers to the pain meds/nausea issue. Also will be discussing whether to even consider a business trip/conference April 29th thru May 2. Think that might be too soon to travel but will discuss it with the OS and get his input.

Also on my list of questions is about PT and his recommendations on that. I had such a brief visit with him in the hospital after the surgery that I look forward to discussing all of this with him.

I am not ready to stop the pain meds yet. I know this because I went for about 16 hours without any meds and woke up from a nap today with a sharp pain going down the outside of my leg...ice and a full hydrocodone finally calmed it down. I wonder how long I will need them..seems my pain would be controllable by just Tylenol now but it's not yet...another question for the dear OS.

I am walking around the house with a cane, but thinking I will need the walker for the walking tomorrow for further distances.

It will be nice to get out for a while to cure the cabin fever, even if it is to go to the doctor.

Hope everyone is having a pain free day!:flwrysmile:
Pam
 
@AndisMom For only 13 days out, sounds like you may be trying to cut the meds a little early. I needed them for about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks when I was able to go to just tramadol, which I take because of fibromyalgia as well. Hopefully your OS will give you some answers today. Keep us posted on your recovery.
 
Thanks Donna! I will let you know what he says. I'm sure you're right about the meds. I have to be more patient with this whole process. :thud:
 
Hope you get all the answers you need tomorrow @AndisMom....hope you get the nausea /meds sorted too...xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@AndisMom Sounds like you are moving right along...GREAT!!!! I am not quite as far along as you and I am still using the hydrocodone, not as much, but still do need it or I have too much pain when I first get up to get things moving. Do you have pain at that time too? Not sure if it is just me or not, but wish it would stop, I might be a bit anxious and it will get better with time. Keep up the great recovery!!
 
@AndisMom Looking forward to your after DOC report.
How was it getting all the way there? Did you take ice with you?
You are doing great!
Keep your updates coming....
:SUNsmile:
 
Ok so it was a crazy morning. I missed the little detail on my discharge paperwork that my post-op OS appointment was at the office near the hospital . I am in such a routine of going to my OS at his suburban office that my mom and I proceeded to drive directly there this morning, only to learn that we are in the wrong place. DUH. At least we were very early and even after driving across town we were only 10 minutes late to the right location. Argh. :scratch:

I was SO nauseous from the car ride and the pain pill I took this morning in anticipation of the staple removal ... the sweet x ray techs gave me crackers and sprite..that helped and I got through it but came straight back home completely exhausted. The energy drain thing is no joke.

The good news - the X-rays looked perfect and the OS is very pleased with my progress! My new hip components are Stryker and Zimmer. The OS and I laughed about my being knocked out already when he came to visit pre-op so I was obviously in his hands. He is so good at explaining all the pieces...he said they used the best materials due to my age so that they would last as long as possible. He says my leg length is perfect also!

He observed that my walking is pretty good but I'm a little hunched over. I think that's from walking with a cane for nearly 2 years with the left knee and now the right hip. He confirmed that PT is not really needed from a rehab perspective but might help me with "re-learning" proper posture and gait so I'm gonna do a few sessions at least.

We talked about the nausea and he switched me from hydrocodone to percoset which made sense until I got the RX home and realized its oxycodone instead of hydrocodone...wondering how this switch will affect the nausea...I have taken a half pill just to see how it does..it was at 3:30 today. So far so good...pain control is good and I feel OK!

Staple removal hurt as expected but was so glad to get those out and the all-clear to do normal showers!

I had the walker with me today for stability and the walking around medical office buildings but I moved around very easily and I'm sure I could have used just a cane...that was some progress I think!

Oh and the OS ix-nayed my business trip for April 29th. Said he would provide something written if needed but pretty adamantly recommended against air travel until after 6 weeks or so.

He did tell my Mom it's OK for her to go home now. In fact she has been doing so much for me that I probably should be doing myself so it will be good for me to try to go solo ...I'm sure I will be fine and Mom needs her life back after staying with me for 2 weeks.

All in all a pretty good day!
 
In honor of my sweet Mom I just changed my avatar to one of my favorites of us together sitting on top of the Acropolis in Athens. Believe it or not she is is 82. I'm so lucky to have her!
 
Ahh Nice pic, Pam!
Bummer about the drive across town, but no biggie really.
You have been fortunate to have your mom, she looks great to help care for you.
Your report is excellent! :SUNsmile: We need a gold star!
 
So glad all went well for you today and hope that the change in meds will help the nausea.....that's a super picture of you and


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Your lovely mum @AndisMom...you are so lucky to have such a great relationship and for her to be fit enough to help you. Hoping you will find it plain sailing from now on....xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@AndisMom Sounds like you are moving right along...GREAT!!!! I am not quite as far along as you and I am still using the hydrocodone, not as much, but still do need it or I have too much pain when I first get up to get things moving. Do you have pain at that time too? Not sure if it is just me or not, but wish it would stop, I might be a bit anxious and it will get better with time. Keep up the great recovery!!


@Plumberbutt sounds like similar to you, I have the most pain when trying to get going in the morning, and then late at nite if I have overdone it during the day. Before my surgery getting up or down from a chair or car was excruciating and I am optimistic that I'm not feeling that pain now, but it's more around the trauma of the surgery, the incision area and surrounding muscles. I asked my doctor today about the shooting pain that goes down my outside thigh sometimes and he says it is from all the nerves and muscles that were messed with during the surgery not being ready for the activity yet.

It was interesting today that I noticed once I am up and walking I can walk pretty much pain-free (until I become exhausted) but the getting going is the challenge...I feel better that I am where I should be after my doctor appointment today and I'm betting you are too!

Hope this passes for you soon though! It was made clear to me today that it is too soon to cut back on the meds so I am going to listen to the OS even though I hate the feeling from the meds.
 
Well...meds it is. I have a pretty good tolerance to the meds, not that I have used them a bunch, but they don't make me feel too bad as long as I don't have to take too many. I just got home from taking cats to the vet, morning PT, and then did some chores and I will say....I am shot!! I am on the sofa with ice and popped a couple oxies. I should know better, but it is so hard to stay down as I'm sure you understand too. Great you are doing so well and keep on recovering!!
 
It sounds like you are going really well @AndisMom . I'm so glad he said no to your trip....I think it would be way to much....just the energy drain of it all!!!!

Hope the new meds work for the nausea....nothing worse.

How awesome that your mum Is so active and well and able to help you. I miss mine xxx

Keep up the good work
 
Thanks @Vetgirl I agree...hoping my employer will understand and be patient with me. I really am blessed to have my Mom. Being single this would have been so much harder without her.

@Plumberbutt I think we are stuck with the meds for a bit longer. I tried every way to finagle my way out of taking them and every time the pain came back. I do cut them in half and go longer between doses than the RX says which keeps me from that constantly loopy feeling and if I'm being honest makes me feel like I'm controlling the situation and I'm a control freak. But have learned how far I can push that and have to admit I feel better with a minimal dosage that controls the pain. Finding that sweet spot is the hard part. The OS only gave me 40 of the OxyContin today and they are non-refillable so I'm hoping by the time I've taken these the pain will be less and I can control it with Aleve and Tylenol...I can hope anyway. Anyway sounds like you are working thru your pain the best you can and you are resting after activity which is great!

BTW hope your cats are ok and the vet visit was routine. Love my fur babies. ;)
 
@AndisMom, Hi Pam. I was wondering if you've tried hydrocodone for pain. That was what I used for a couple of weeks after the first week when my Percoset prescription ran out. It's not as strong as the Oxy, but it won't make you feel loopy and I did pretty well with it after about my 10 day post-op date. Just a thought.
 
@birdlady the hydrocodone/Tylenol combo was what they sent me home from the hospital with along with zofran for nausea and it was constant nausea for me unfortunately. So weird how different meds affect people so differently. Day 2 on the Percocet but I'm only taking 1/2 pill at a time and it's working so far! No nausea...maybe a bit of a headache as it wears off, but I can live with that.

I'm praying this is the right solution to get me the the next couple of weeks until I won't need them any longer. So looking forward to that.

Thanks for the suggestion though...you just never know what is going to work.
 
The hydrocodone didn't work for my pain and it gave me a stomachache. Percocet is the one that works for me. I'm also hoping it won't be too much longer. I've been trying to cut back for a week now, but I always seem to have to go back to my original dose. Oh, well. It will get better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom