THR Let the recovery begin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
@AndisMom Those sleepless nights are interesting, aren't they? The night before last, I had the best sleep I've had since surgery, then last night, I woke up at 2 am and slept fitfully the rest of the night, finally getting up at 6 and making myself coffee! I am so glad I don't work anymore and have the luxury of sleeping during the day if I need to.
 
Posting an update for historical reference of my journey...

I think I have turned another corner!! :happydance::dancy::spin:

I have not had a pain pill since yesterday morning! It occurred to me to try my excedrin migraine that works so well for me when I have headaches since my neck and shoulder were a bit sore, likely from all the back sleeping.
Low and behold, it took away the surgery pain as well!!:idea:

I took 2 more yesterday afternoon, and 2 at bedtime and slept like a baby all nite. Even gently rolled onto my surgical side with a pillow in front of me for support and it didn't hurt! Still a little pressure so i cant stay there long, but that's progress!

Last week with my Mom's help I did a bunch of cleaning and decluttering to get ready for the cleaning crew who is going to do my spring cleaning ;)...This week I'm gonna get in some walking and see how much I can do.

Today marks 4 weeks post-op and I am so excited and hopeful now that I can walk like a normal person around my house with no limp!

Hoping everyone is enjoying the beautiful spring weather and recovering well!

Pam
 
Sharing your happiness! It's like we are finding what we lost.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@AndisMom Look at you! Cleaning before the cleaning crew gets there. Lol! That is a wonderful update. So good about the pain pills. I have cut way back. I am off the percocet completely (hate that stuff. It is soooo strong). I am still taking a norco in the morning, one in late afternoon and one before bed. I plan on cutting those doses in half in a few days and keep weaning that way. I am following the weaning schedule that i found on this site. I think I am having a bit of a withdrawal, because I start to feel antsy and get a headache and then I take my pill and everything calms down, plus I get this sense of well-being about 40 minutes after I take it. So, I am trying not to stop too fast and just slowly stop. I still have stiffness, soreness and pain, especially in the late afternoon/evening after being up and about all day, but it's getting better! Glad to hear you have turned that corner! Keep it up, Pam!
 
Question for everyone...the last of my steri-strips has just fallen off, and I discovered one staple that was left behind I'm sure accidentally by the PA. It doesn't appear to be irritated or anything but I'm guessing I need to get in to my OS office sooner rather than later to have it removed before it causes issues.

Has anyone else had this happen and is there any reason I should be concerned if I don't see any visible problems?

Going to call the OS today.

NO pain meds since last Saturday! Managing any pain from overdoing it and at nite when trying to get comfortable with Excedrin and Aleve. I feel like a human again!
 
Not to worry, just get to the OS's office and have it removed! Just shows that medical folks are human, too :heehee:
 
@AndisMom Pam, such a good report (except for the errant staple.....better get that removed) I am now on 1/2 pain pill in the morning, 1/2 in afternoon and 1 in the evening. I have done away with the bedtime dose and I seem to be doing fine. I should be off pain pills completely by this weekend.
I am so happy for you that your life is returning to normal!
 
Thanks Debbie! I'm glad to hear you are doing well too and on your way to getting rid of the meds. I do feel like I've turned a corner and now just have to learn to walk normally again after the long period of limping.

Posted my lovely incision/soon to be scar on the badge of honor thread. It's still pretty angry looking although it's a lot better than even 2 weeks ago. I know it will lighten and the redness will go away, but my timing is not good for this summer and my Mexico vacation that starts in 4 weeks. Oh well, at least I will be able to walk, swim, snorkel, etc and I'm not gonna worry about the scar. I usually keep a sarong or coverup on except when in the water anyway.

OS office returned my call and I'm going in tomorrow to have the stray staple removed. Even though it isn't urgent, I'd like to get it out so the area can continue to heal.

Tomorrow we are going shopping for plants/flowers/shrubs and it will be a lot of walking but I think I am up for it! Some of my gardenias didn't survive the polar vortex and my landscaper is coming Monday to replace them. I think it may finally be time to do the flower pots on porch/deck, etc ...hopefully no more cold snaps.

May is a very busy month for my family. My Mom, my niece and I have birthdays, plus Mothers day and our trip starting Memorial Day week. Tons to do and I need to be able to drive. Need to ask OS if I can drive sooner than May 6th when he originally suggested. My poor, lonely new car has been sitting in the garage since October and it has 1200 miles on it. That's crazy. I want my life back.

Hope everyone is doing well this week!
Pam
 
Pam, glad you are having the staple removed tomorrow. I had my 2 week OS visit today and asked him about the errant staple I found at ten days out on my side. He said it was used for the drape, and it occasionally happens, said it looked fine and not to worry. Ha!
BTW: Yes, we are practically neighbors. I went to school at Virginia Tech, did you go to UT?
And, I do conference calls all the time with my job managing crit/sits in high end storage for a large computer corp.
 
@MajorHeidi yes I did go to UT. About 100 years ago. :unsure:

Does sound like our jobs are similar. I have been so very thankful that I can stay home with my leg elevated and iced, and still do my job! I cant imagine having to sit at a desk only a few weeks after this surgery. I am losing my status with my airlines and hotels but I don't care. I'll be back in the air by the week of May 20th to Denver and that's soon enough.

BTW I have 2 clients in Richmond and I am there every couple months. But I think you're closer to the Bristol area if I recall. Did you have your surgery there?

I have decided we all need to get ourselves well and back to normal, and then we should plan a "hippies" cruise or something. We will feel like old friends and it would be fun!

So glad you are continuing to make great progress!
 
Pam, my surgery was in Roanoke.
We go to the Nascar races in Bristol twice a year. They are advertising the big 2015 football game at the Nascar track for UT vs. VT.
Hopefully by then both teams will get better again like they used to be.

I work at home, fortunately.... you must like the travel and it probably agrees with you.
It would probably be a hoot to have a hippy trip.
 
@AndisMom I saw your scar and I think it looks fantastic. Really! Mine is all lumpy, but I am not ever going to worry about it, I already decided. I am going to wear my bathing suit and be proud of it! It really is a badge of honor. I am going to post a picture if I can figure out how to do it again.

You Mexico vacation sounds wonderful. Is it a cruise? We take a lot of cruises. We don't really have much going on until July, which is why I decided to have surgery in March, because we are usually always on the go. But, I do live at the beach, so I will be wearing a lot of swimsuits in the coming months!

It is great that you are getting on with your normal life. I also feel like I turned a corner. Everything feels easier. It must be that 5 week mark!
 
@Dmcfad2 I think getting past week 4 made a big difference! Thought it would never happen but I can now imagine feeling normal again! So thankful!

Actually it's my 60th birthday trip and we have rented a huge villa on the beach south of Playa del Carmen. My. Mom, cousin and a friend are taking me. We are in a gated community and we will have a golf cart to go to/from this lovely little marina where you can have dinner while dolphins wave at you from a few feet away. We were there last year and fell in love with the little village. Going to attach a photo of the villa terrace and view...very excited to get to go there again!

I have been to Mexico every year for many years, but my Mom and cousin haven't been except for cruise stops and I hope I'm feeling up to climbing ruins, snorkeling and showing them the highlights.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Let the recovery begin....
    image.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 211
Oh that sounds nice, and the pic looks wonderful, too.
I went to Cancun two years ago, and enjoyed it.
I think on this trip you should be able to do all those things you have been looking forward to.
Love the dolphins!
 
Thanks! It's gonna be fun!

I'm a little surprised your OS said you could drive so soon...that's really encouraging! I'm definitely going to ask my OS for an earlier OK since I am not taking meds anymore and I think I can do it.
 
What a fantastic trip you have planned @AndisMom I hope you can do all the activites you hope for.

We will want pictures of course????
 
...have been moving around and getting back to normal life and thus have been posting less, but thought I would document my OS follow up appointment for anyone following post-op threads.

My 6 week follow-up appointment was supposed to be one week from today, but the OS called and needed to change the appointment due to a surgery schedule conflict, so I asked for an earlier appointment so I could get some answers and I went today (5 weeks + 1 day post-op).

I am FREEEEEE!!:happydance: I have been released to do most anything I want to do! Even drive! Which I proceeded to do as soon as we left the OS office building. It was no problem at all...felt so good!

I asked a ton of questions about restrictions on movement, and my OS said the "equipment" he installed was selected for its long lifespan, which he felt at my age (59 - "spring chicken") :yes: would hopefully avoid having to replace it in my lifetime. He said some surgeons recommend against running/jogging and jumping to extend the life of the joint, but since I'm not a runner or jogger I didnt pursue that discussion. He has one patient who runs marathons with his new hip and that guy's X-rays show excellent bone growth around the implant and he doesn't want to discourage the guy from doing what he loves doing.

As for me, I'm free to swim, even in the ocean :surfer:(we discussed the potential bacterial risk and his advice was that he would swim in the ocean if it were him and that satisfied me). My x rays look good, my walk is getting closer to normal, but still have some work to do on that. I have scheduled twice per week PT sessions to focus on my gait and strengthening the leg and the thigh muscles. I figure if I do those and do some water classes that I will make some good progress in time for my May 28th trip. He gave me no restrictions on swim strokes or kicks...suggested fins and a vest in case I get tired in the ocean. (The only caution he gave was to avoid the leg press machines (lying or seated) in the gym and to avoid lifting anything very heavy for another few weeks.) I am SO gonna be snorkeling every day while I'm on vacation!

We talked about managing the remaining pain that is not predictable nor is there any particular trigger that causes it. It's not necessarily after I have walked a lot. If that were the case, covering 2 garden centers and walking 3 hours 2 days in a row this past weekend would have had me back in bed with ice, but it actually felt better to stretch and move. I did all that walking with no cane too, although I leaned on the shopping cart sometimes as I started to get tired. The OS says the pain is going to happen on and off for at least another 6-8 weeks, as I am still healing internally, and just to listen to the pain and stop and rest when needed. (Sound familiar?). :ice:

I asked him about the only spot I have left that still hurts to the touch (and keeps me from comfortably lying on my surg side) which is below and to the outside of my incision. There is an area that is alternately numb and painful to the touch...it swells in that area occasionally also. I asked him if he got a little carried away with the power tools in that area. :what: He said they are finding many anterior patients are having some pain in this same spot, and says it is from the trauma to the IT band from the clamping they have to do to gain access to the joint. Still a lot less invasive than other approaches but he and his colleagues are finding there is very commonly pain in that area but gave me assurance it would go away as the muscle heals.

All in all I am very happy that my OS is happy and feels everything is progressing nicely. I still feel if I'm being honest that I have not made progress as quickly as I wanted or expected, but I'm OK with where I am right now.
The next several weeks for me are going to be focused on rehabbing the thigh muscles and regaining a normal walking gait so I can hit the road again and get back to my job.

I see him again in 3 months just for a check-up...I expect to be back to normal by then.

I think I have survived this and don't regret it for a minute! I already walk much better than I did during the 6 months or more pre-op that I was in so much pain.

I hope everyone is recovering well and and feeling hopeful for an active and happy future! :SUNsmile:

Pam
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom