THR Let the recovery begin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the other side @AndisMom, you are off to a great start. Going home tomorrow will also do wonders for you. Follow your BS Mantras and you will be on your way to that pain free life you have been dreaming about for so long. Looking forward to your updates. Take good care of yourself, rest, ice and elevate!
 
Sounds like you are doing great, @AndisMom ! Hope you continue to feel better each day and can get back home to Andi soon. :kittykiss:
 
Sounds like you are doing very well @AndisMom ! I got the same look when I asked for ice. It's not in their normal routine - but well done for championing your own cause.
 
I guess I was lucky in the ice area, PT brought me gallon bags full and placed inside of pillow cases, worked great, they were my biggest help. At home I made the alcohol and water combo and my wonderful son kept them rotating as often as possible. Good luck once you make it home.
 
@AndisMom Sounds like your recovery is starting out fantastic!! Keep doing what you are doing, and soon you will be doing all the things you enjoy!! Looking forward to reading all about your recovery!!
 
Hi @AndisMom, sounds like recovery is progressing nicely - slow and steady.. Not sure if you have had these links...

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Thanks y'all for checking on me! Nothing exciting to report today at all. Have literally slept all nite after coming home from hospital and all day today. The zofran is making me so sleepy so I'm skipping that the last couple doses of pain meds...think I might prefer a bit of nausea to being knocked out cold for hours. :sleep:

So pain is under control when I take my hydro on schedule and I'm feeling like I'm coming out of the heavy fog. I took a long, nice bath on the transfer bench this afternoon. I used a large trash bag and duck-taped it around my bandages because I just had to wash my hair! Of course I did manage to get my bandages wet and now I'm worried about that. I know I'm not supposed to do that . I'm letting them dry and not pulling or tugging on them. I don't want to loosen a staple or damage anything. Somehow we got everything packed from the hospital room except the bandage tape so we will get more tomorrow and see if we can fix the bandage. Was thinking I should leave it alone till it dries...if any of you pros have suggestions I would appreciate it...I know - DONT GeT it WET!

I am using the belt they used in the hospital to lift leg on/off bed but other than that that I'm motoring pretty well on the walker..just so groggy I haven't done much walking today. I know I need to move so hoping I can stay up more tomorrow and walk around every hour or so.

I am pretty sure I'm not making coherent sentences so thanks for your patience on that.

Hope everyone has a pain free day!

Pam
 
@AndisMom .....Yippee, Yahoo, you made it through like a piece of cake!! Let me share with you, I had a male nurse named Chris, a very large black gentleman and with BTHR he was like an angel in disguise who just lifted me off that bed and put me on the potty and I didn't care a thing about color, sex or religion, just so relieved that there was someone strong enough to bare my weight so I didn't have to do it all!!!! I kept apologizing that he had to use so much of his strength to help me that first time (it was a doozy)! Then my bladder was still asleep and he turned the water on and there I sat just waiting! Any other time after having 4 children I wouldn't been able to hold my bladder, but apparently it had gone to sleep along with everything else! So thank you the Larry's and Chris's out there, when ya gotta go ya gotta go! Take care love, rest and everything else will fall into place. Looking forward to your wonderful post op postings.


I must have been half asleep when I read this last nite because I just read it again and laughed out loud! You are so right Roseann! When you gotta go you just gotta go! I cant even imagine the pain with BTHR! They would need to use the former football players on the Nursing staff for that if I had BTHR...not a petite person...since you cant move at all for a while! My nurse just helped manage all the wires, IV pole, etc and pulled me up from the bed with the belt, but I used the walker and went to the bathroom...I found if I tried to time my trips with my pain level it was a heck of a lot easier, but the bladder doesn't always cooperate. I swear I think I had to go like 5 times the nite after surgery. Oh, and I did not have the sleeping bladder problem at all myself.

Couple of my nursing staff made me use the potty chair but others let me go to the bathroom and moving around felt good. Again, only one hip so I cant imagine at all how you did it!

Thanks for sharing your experience! You have helped me and likely helped a few folks with this little logistics issue. :wink:
 
So today has been a battle with nausea. About this point my body says it doesn't want anymore pain meds...happened last time with the knee and here we go again. I still need the meds so I can move around and get in the PT that I need. Had stopped the Zofran with each pain dose but having to start it again which means I sleep more than not. Have to find the right balance so I'm awake more than asleep...don't need pain meds to sleep...need them to get up and move.

...and...(drumroll please)... I had a VERY slow, (like 45 minutes), VERY painful first movement of the stubborn bowel today!!! I finally won that battle with 2 Colace per day since day 1. Honestly that hurts like heck...one of the worst parts of this for me. SO glad that's done! :yahoo: Only you guys understand and appreciate this little celebration.

So far I wouldn't call it "the blues" but it's getting close. Frustrating kind of day. Gonna sleep and hope tomorrow is a better day!

Nite all!
 
Oh hey Pam, I completely agree. That was the worst part for me as well! As far as the "blues" are concerned, they are definitely a part of this too, so acknowledge them but don't allow them to take over. Stay focused on all the positive things that will come of this surgery; living pain free, being able to do all the things you could not do before the surgery etc. Continued success my friend...
 
@AndisMom...Well I think I am having the blues today...superwoman went out for about an hour, hair cut showed off my battlescars to everyone in the beauty shop......joy of living in a small town! All the oohs and aahs! Too funny, but came home totally exhausted. I napped then my DMIL called and we are supposed to take our daughter down to her and our sons for spring break 436 miles............needless to say I was in tears not wanting to go and be a burden and have her wait on me...she is 81 and will! I told her how tired I was and that just the trip would be exhausting for me, she still insists I come, so through the tears I told her I would, but am so afraid of the journey, just the thought exhausts me. Then to be there for a week and not be able to do anything, really sucks! I would rather be home doing nothing. I know I will overdo myself to keep her from overdoing herself, she is all I have left as far as a parent and I nursed her through 14 days in the hospital this past summer with colon cancer surgery so she feels obligated to wait on me. The blues are in, I am feeling stuck, I need to go into the office and do numbers by the 5th, yet go to florida, yet rest, yet heal, yet.........I think I need another nap.....love you, take it easy and keep on posting.....
 
@GaRosehippy Are you nuts?
Are you gonna get in your car and drive that far?
really???
Oh my goodness, I wouldn't ....
If you do... you have my best...
I am so glad you are getting on so well that you would consider it.
That in itself is awesome.
You go girl!
Keep on keeping on!
 
OH wow @GaRosehippy you are braver than I for sure! No way would that long ride be possible for me this soon. The hair salon outing sounded like you enjoyed yourself but you needed a nap afterward. If you do go I would take a cooler with multiple ice packs and lots of pain meds!

Today has been not so good with nausea for me. I'm going to have to stop the powerful pain meds early this time I'm afraid..just not setting well in my system. Will discuss options with OS Monday..

Also I went to bathroom a ridiculous 12 times today. It was impossible to rest because every time I would doze off I would have to go again...what the heck is this about? ..doesn't feel like a UTI or anything...just getting rid of a ton of fluids. Enough already.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day. Ready to expand my horizons...maybe a walk outside? Hope I can!

Rest well everyone!
 
@GaRosehippy ... please, please rethink that trip!!! You are just in the early stages of recovery and a trip like that can result in a major setback for you. You were totally wiped out with just a few hours out. Think how a trip like this would be. If you need ammunition, just contact your surgeon and ask if you are cleared for a trip like this. I'm betting the answer would be no way. Heck, even if you didn't actually make that call, you could tell your DMIL that your doctor advised against it and you must stay home. This is a time that you must put yourself first!!! Making yourself miserable and in pain does no one any good. It will ruin the visit for everyone and you'll be in agony!
 
Hi @AndisMom it sounds like you are progressing quite normally. What a pest that you feel nauseous though...you still need those pain meds. Ask the dr to prescribe something for the nausea.

Maybe your body is ridding itself of some of the excess fluid from the swelling that comes from surgery??

Take it easy and keep up the good work!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom