Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

I used one after arthroscopic knee surgery and after my TKR but was not sure if it is a good thing after a manipulation. I decided to go through with the manipulation and will have it done on Monday morning. I was surprised when I was told that Medicare no longer covers it. ...but then again I probably shouldn't have been surprised as Medicare is becoming no pay claim insurance lately. I found that it really helped after both surgeries.
 
My surgeon never uses the CPM following replacements, but he always uses it after a manipulation. (I will likely need an MUA in a few weeks too if I don't start showing improvement. ) I hope all goes well Monday.
 
Good luck on Monday. Each one of heals differently. Sometimes you just gotta go with your gut. Remember: We are behind you.
 
That is good to know 2hips 2knees. I left a message for the doctor asking if I will really need the machine becaus it is so expensive. Apparently he called the machine company because the man from the company called and reduced the price in half. He apologized and said that he didn't realize that I am dr Penenberg's patient. Go figure.
 
Hello @ucsbgal1971 ... I have just read through your thread and I do feel so badly for you. I have a girlfriend at work who has Sjogren's and from talking with her and her explaining how it affects her, have a much better understanding of it and what it can do to your body and system. I seem to whinge a bit on my posts, but am always humbled when I read of others such as yourself who have so much more to deal with than just recovering a knee. Do you feel a bit less anxious now that you have made the decision to have MUA? At least the "will I" "won't I" game is over. I wish you all the best for the MUA and hope that when you wake up your knee just forges ahead in its progress.

I am also sorry to hear of your son's heart problems. It must be heartbreaking for you to have a son with such serious heart problems. Is he under treatment?

Please keep visiting here. You will receive so much support, not just to do with the knee, but in whatever else you are facing. Take care and all the very, very best for your MUA.

Ellen :flwrysmile:
 
The issue with CPM machines is that nobody really knows if they do any good, because it's impossible to test it. What needs to be done is a long-term statistical study, individual reports are meaningless because the individual knees might get better quicker without it, but we can never know because we can only test the same knee once. Of course it might not, but we can't test that either.
As a personal view, I can't see why it should benefit recovery, unless we believe that old daft saying that "your knee will set like concrete if you don't get maximum ROM in 6 weeks or so". I think I'm pretty safe in saying that view is totally discredited, and being "passive" I can't envisage why it would help. As I said, it's only a personal view:rolleyes:
 
Tykey is right. And actually research has shown no benefit to CPM for the normal TKR patient.

I can only speak for my case. I was not the normal TKR patient. I knew I formed adhesions quickly since my MUA gains reversed within 2 weeks despite the ROM efforts each day. My simple mind said, if my knee is moving, the scar tissue will have less of a chance to re-attach. So it boils down to a personal decision.
 
My surgeon agrees that evidence doesn't support the use of the CPM following replacements to gain ROM. However, he says the difference following an MUA is that you don't want to lose the ROM that is gained in the MUA, and the CPM is the best way to keep the improvement.
 
My surgeon agrees that evidence doesn't support the use of the CPM following replacements to gain ROM. However, he says the difference following an MUA is that you don't want to lose the ROM that is gained in the MUA, and the CPM is the best way to keep the improvement.

That makes sense, at least in theory, so I can accept that argument, thanks. And to Mary as well:)
 
Dear Ellen, Thank you so much for your kind and understanding post. My Sjogrens symptoms haven't been too bad over the years. I had trouble with my eyes because of very little tears but they put plugs in the tear ducts and that helped tremendously. I think the surgery was such a strain on my system that it really set off the Sjogrens. I have been praying that it will settle down.
Thank you for asking about my son. He is waiting for a new heart so that is very stressful. He is only 33.
I truly appreciate your sensitivity and kind response.
Have a great day!
Pam
PS I am more worried about the manipulation than I was the original surgery. Maybe it is because I know more now. I hope it will just be a doddle as my British friend stated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tykey, I am working from my ipad and the type is very small. I hit the wrong rating and can't figure out how to change it but thanks for your input. I appreciate hearing all sides of the story before I make a decision.
 
On a side note, I was wondering how the message count works? Five of my messages were all labeled the 302nd message. How can that be?
 
I wonder if the whole cpm idea came about because they were afraid patients wouldn't do their exercises so at least this way the knee keeps moving. :scratch:
I have also read that they use the cpm after synovectomy. I had that while the OS was in there for the TKR. Should be interesting to see if my OS still uses cpms for this next round.
 
I don't know kneeper but I could not have bent my knee without it. It was a godsend for both surgeries because it gradually moved the knee without pain so I could minimize my pain meds which was good for me because I don't do well with them. I also understand the constant movement helps retard the development of adhesions. As the grade increased, my knee bent more until I was at 95. The exercises were so painful I could not have done that on my own. I could not have forced my knee on my own to 95 for anything. I believe that I would not have needed an MUA because of the CPM except for my lack of fluid development around the muscles that makes things pretty stiff because of the Sjogrens.
 
usclgal1971 - I had the MUA procedure 2 months post TRK. I was only at 48 degree flexion even with PT. The Dr. broke the news to me that I needed an MUA and I was very nervous and scared that it wouldn't work. I went through it with no problem. The following day I went to PT and I was measured at 100 degrees. What I was most worried about was the residual swelling and pain, but I was pleasantly surprised that the swelling and pain were not as bad as I imagined it to be. What I think really helped was the CPM. I was very diligent in using it 3 to four hours a day for the first couple weeks, also I had an awesome therapist who really helped me and didn't push me beyond what I could endure. I'm now 6 months post TRK and am doing pretty good. I still have swelling and stiffness but it's way more manageable. Good luck with your MUA.
 
That is good to hear vnmarino. For some reason, I am more nervous about the MUA than the replacement surgery. I guess it is fear of the unknown. I had been wondering whether I could make it to PT the next day and am glad to hear you did. I made an appointment for the next day in an effort to be optimistic. I will be 5 months post TKR on the 26th of this month. I wonder if the stiffness will eventually go away or if this is what we can expect from now on. I was hoping for better but maybe this is a good as it is going to get. I still can't navigate stairs except for one at a time. I can go up in the normal manner but coming down for some reason is more difficult. The CPM definitely was beneficial for me. I am glad that I will have it again. It is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. BTW your scar looks great!
 
Thought I would let everyone know I had the MUA yesterday and it was a piece of cake. There was a lot of pain initially when I awakened after the surgery but once they gave me a pain shot, I have had no more pain at all. Am home now and doing my 6 hour daily cpm machine. Ugh! Very boring and expensive but helpful. My knee feels more stiff than before but that is probably due to the swelling. I have the CPM machine set at 100 degrees and my knee is bending to 100 without a problem or pain so I think things are going pretty well. I will have my first physical therapy appointment this afternoon so I am sure they will measure and let me know what the ROM is then. Apparently my knee was dislocated, at least that is what the nurse in the hospital told me, and that is probably why I was having so much trouble. It kept jumping out or moving funny when I would bend and straighten it with my feet on the large ball in physical therapy so maybe that is what caused the problem. Now that it has been repositioned, I hope things will progress nicely. Thanks everyone for the support and input. It really helped me through this small setback. I bet I will eventually get to the point of not regretting that I had the replacement once I can get around without so much trouble. I have read that we can't expect the knee to perform the way a healthy knee works and I guess I was hoping for that so am readjusting my expectations and things will probably be good.
Pam
 
Apparently my knee was dislocated

Someone else here recently had MUA and reported that the surgeon said something to this effect. I didn't know a TKR could be dislocated - ??
 
Back
Top Bottom