Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

The other thing is to have some sort of bag on your walker also and remember if you are alone - make sure you have a phone on you when you move around. This way if it rings you can answer without walking but also if something was to happen you can make a call yourself.

You mentioned your knee popping out-- have you asked your OS about that?

You are never alone on this site - everyone here is always so supportive. :flwrysmile:
 
Keeping a phone with me is a good idea. I did mention it to my OS but he glossed over it. He manipulated my knee and it didn't do it when he moved my knee so he didn't acknowledge the problem. My PT wrote to him about it but he didn't look at her report at least while I was there. I am going to put a call in to him about it again.
 
Pain is getting me down. The rehab sent me home with five days of pain meds and then what? I will be out of meds this weekend. I am in the phase of regretting the surgery. I know this will pass from what I have read but pain is wearing me down. Doctor Penenberg said I should be on the downward slope with pain but that was last week at week two. I am now at week three and don't feel that the pain is letting up at all - in fact, it seems as if it is increasing. Starting to get scared. I am so tired. I can't sleep when I have pain. It has to let up soon!
 
I would start calling your doc right away about the pain meds. The last thing you want is to be out of pain medication over the weekend. I have just gone through this and have it somewhat resolved and I feel way better. Its so hard to even function when your in pain. Good luck and do your best to get in touch with the Dr right away and let him know you will be out of meds this weekend.
 
Yes, the last thing I want to do is go without pain meds. I tried to reach the doctor today with no luck. I am not sure which doctor to call. My surgeon doesn't prescribe pain meds and the doctor at the rehab is no longer my doctor since I am no longer an inpatient. My primary care physician doesn't prescribe pain meds either. This is a real mess.
 
Doctors in my area are being investigated and arrested for prescribing pain meds so I think they are all reluctant to write pain med prescriptions now.
 
You definitely need pain meds. I wonder how he decided that pain meds are only needed for 2wks- about then we start getting more active and pain almost increases as you noted. I would start with your surgeon as he is the one that did surgery and is the reason for the pain. After that, your GP should know you well enough to help or refer you quickly to a pain specialist who could assist you.

I a so sorry they are giving you such a hard time for pain control. It should not matter who is being investigated, if they have good reasons and good records they will not be in trouble for prescribing pain meds for their patients.
 
The medication crisis has been overted thank goodness. A pain management doctor has called in more medication.
 
Lee, glad you mentioned that pain almost always increases by the second week. I was wondering if there was something wrong with me that my pain had increased rather than decreased. Once again, this forum is invaluable. Thanks
 
I am so glad you got some pain medication. :) This is a long road and not over in one week or two. It takes time to heal and recover.
 
Yes it does. I am trying not to be impatient or let others make me feel guilty if I am not progressing as fast as someone else they know. I have no control over how fast my body will heal other than doing what my pt and doc say to do. Other than that it is up to my body and it's ability to heal.
 
I am in so much pain. I am almost at 4 weeks. I thought the pain was supposed to be over by now. I can't sleep. Will this ever end?
 
The sleep issues tend to continue for quite a long time. Pain, depends on each knee - there is not time limit that says pain will stop at ___wks. Some people need pain meds for 3m or longer depending. Each of us is unique or each of our knees is unique.

Is there new pain or just continued pain. If there is something new that is hurting you might want to check with your OS but if it is the same then your knee is just requiring pain meds longer. Are you also icing and elevating a lot and I do mean a lot as in most of the time unless walking and not overdoing activities. Again, there is no rule that says that at 4wks this happens or that - the knee rules.

I am tagging Josephine to add her considerable expertise for your concerns.
 
I was set back eight days without physical therapy because my doc told me to stop for two days and then I was discharged from the rehab hospital and had to wait for the in home therapist to come. I went from 89 rom to 65 in that time. She told me I am really behind and that scared me. I have been doing everything the therapist has said to do including numerous exercises, walking up and down my hallway, and 4 hours on the CPM machine per day since last Wednesday when I finally resumed the PT. I believe the pain is the result of all of this new activity. I was in a wheelchair for eight months prior to the surgery so I am totally out of condition. Then I have been limiting my pain pills because I am afraid of becoming a drug addict, I fear having problems stopping them, and I had a problem even finding a doctor to prescribe a renewal prescription. My OS does not prescribe pain meds and neither does my primary physician. I have an appointment with the pain doctor today so maybe he will have the answer as the Norco isn't really cutting the pain anyway. I have been running a low grade temp from 99.8 to 100 degrees so I haven't been feeling well at all. I think the temp may be from the pain meds affecting my liver as I have had medications affect my liver before. I guess I have a sensitive liver. All I seem to do anymore is sit here and cry. I can't sleep because of the pain. I am a mess. I am starting to wear down.
 
I don't think they are giving you strong enough meds if you are in lots of pain. I'm taking Percocet (oxycodone) every 4 hours and my pain is minimal. Really press your drs about pain control. And I believe you need pain meds for months not just a few weeks. I surprised your os doesn't give pain meds :( hope you get some answers today
 
You definitely need pain control. Do not be afraid of becoming an addict. We all want to get off them once the pain stops but till then we need them. You are not taking them to run away from the world or to get high - you are taking them for real pain and to be able to recover. When you do not need them - you will taper off and stop.

Also, it might be too much PT too fast if your muscles are not up to normal since you were in a wheelchair for 8m. They need to find a slower process to build your muscles up slowly.

Please take care of yourself and you will get there with patience and a slow and steady process - not a quick race this recovery but a slow process but you can get there.
 
Thanks for responding Knees. Hopefully I will get the pain med situation clarified today. I wonder how a person stops taking heavy duty pain meds if they have been taken for months. I am scared of terrible withdrawals as my friend went through withdrawals from pain meds after her hip surgery. It was very difficult for her.
 
Lee, I was wondering if it was too much PT too fast. The in home company is under the gun to get me to 110 Rom by the 8th of November. They want to look good to my OS who has contracted with them but too much too soon may not be the best for me. I will switch from in home to outpatient PT after the 8th so I guess the in home company wants to look good by the time I leave them. I don't think the deadlines are necessarily the best for the patient.

I was worried that I may have formed scar tissue in the eight days that I didn't have the PT. I still did some basic heel slides, ankle pumps, and quad sets but that was it. Hopefully that prevented scar tissue formation.
 
Why is there such a big push for ROM anyway? Doesn't it come in time anyway? I have all the time in the world and don't want to suffer like this just so I can say I have a high ROM soon after the surgery.
 
Oh, I feel for you ucsbgal. I hope things start to look up for you very soon. Sleep and pain meds are my big issues also. I would contact your doctor and ask about the fever. Norco does contain acetomenophen (sp) and that does affect the liver. This is why I had oxycodone prescribed. But now I must take vicodin most of the time which is just the same as norco.

I am really disgusted with the pain med situation. The sleep situation I have given in to but I fear I am in trouble now. I took pain meds (oxy) last night and slept 5 1/2 hours got up for 3 and slept another 4 hours and I am still tired. Now I fear I will be awake for days. Oh well, I'll deal.

In reading the posts on this site it seems clearly the people who have good pain control or mostly none do the best of all of us.

I would get the pain and fever under control before I would worry about ROM. Keep us posted.:flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom