TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
:walking::dancy: @IrishMike
Thank you for those suggestions, they sound very parctical & easy to do, The chairs here in Caritas are all too low to swing my leg, but at home I do have an office chair that I can raise to allow me to be a .'swinger' !
Thanks,
Cathie
 
  • :hi:
@Reebok @tiredwife @madianna @IrishMike @bball78 @Jozilla
Friday 1 August 2014
Unevevtful day, mild pain/ discomfort and leaden leg above .& below surgery after sitting for more than 10-15 minutes
Very tired today and took lots of mini-naps of. 20 minutes to one hour
  • 9:15 am PT session flexion to 95+(.had taken Valium & 2 Solpediene 45 minutes before PT). Used pedal floor bike for 5 minutes with full rotation
  • Ice, elevate and rest for 30 minutes after - fell asleep
  • Ten minute walk around the garden
  • Back to rest,ice, elevate and nap until lunch at 12:15
  • Had Valium & Oxymore at strait of lunch, as was having eatly afternoon PT session at 1:15. Lots of stretching snd use if one cane when indoors snd two canes when going outside
  • Back to bed short nap, with ice & elevation
  • Visitor at 2:30 up snd walked in garden for 10 minutes
  • Leg still very stiff after sitting for meals
  • Did 10 minutes of bed exercise and leg lifts, etc
  • Rest, ice & elevate until Tea Time at 5:30
  • Husbad in at 7:15 and another 10 minute garden walk
  • Have to concentrate on walking with operated leg streghten and then follow with bend for a more natural walk
  • In bed waiting for night meds and looking forward to my sleep.
 
@marmora In the beginning I had to remind hubby to bend the leg when walking, and not to throw the foot out to the side. He walks great now, and still has 1 knee to go!
 
:loveshwr::yes!::spin:
@IrishMike @tiredwife @bball78 @Jozilla @madinana @Lovestoread @Reebok
My husband took me out for the afternoon, at home now resting and icing on the couch watching him catching up on the ironing. He actually likes to iron and finds it relaxing, I'm blessed.

It is absolutely pouring rain outside and lovely to be inside looking out.
Going to go to a local Italian restaurant for tea and then back to the Rehab centre for 8:15 pm.

Great to have been able to spend a few hours at home and looking forward to my official homecoming on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

May even do the same tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon, it is like a day - release programme for good behaviour!

:wow: To think that I am missing tinned spaghetti on toast for tea at the Rehab a Centre for a real Italian meal ! Better not rub it in to my roommate when I get back !

Cathie
 
  • Short Saturdsy 2 August 2014 update
  • No official PT on Sat & Sun and also Monday this week is a holiday
  • Did self directed PT x 2 sessions. & 3 ten minutes walks in the hall., as it is raining very heavy outsider
  • Husband collected me for the afternoon and wrnt home, rested on the couch with leg elevated and brought my Cryoncuff home to continue icing
  • Went to local neighbourhood restaurant at 6:30
  • Back in rehab centre for. 8:15 pm
  • Tired but enjoyed the journey out to the real world
  • May do same on Sun:chillpill:day afternoon
  • All in all a good day, pain levels 1-2 or 2-3
  • Knee flexion improving and less episodes of leg stiffness
  • Waiting for nurse with night beds, have leg elevated on 3 pillows the BoneSmart way and icy Cryo cuff on / what more could a girl want on a Saturday night ?!?!?!
 
:angel: @ironman60 @madinana @Jozilla @tiredwife
Des is not perfect, but he finds ironing relaxing, puts on classical music or Jazz and gets lost in the world of ironing, and yes many of my friends envy me.

As my 3 sons always saw Dad ironing while they were growing up, think it's a life skill that all guys should have - their wives & girlfriends have thanked me .
Des and the boys also can vaccum, dust and are pretty ok at cooking too, always figured that if I had 3 daughters they would be skilled in household chores, so why not the same if you have sons.

@ironman60 - Des also knows his golf irons and plays 1-2 times each week and sails on Saturday ( has a share in a yatch with 5 other guys).

Know that I am very blessed and will be married 34 on 9th of August. Love him to bits.
 
@marmora My husband is a better cook than I am (although he is messier:wink:) He has been doing the dishes because he is bored. He can vacuum but I don't mind doing that, he works on the vehicles. We both do the remodeling although I do most of it because he has a job. We have a daughter and a son. Our daughter put a new engine in her mustang with only a little help from her dad. Our son somehow became the computer geek. He can make some good scrambled eggs, but has no automotive skills. They both were doing their own laundry since they were little. I would do their laundry, fold it and put it on their bed and then I discovered that they would throw it back in the dirty clothes instead of put it up:tantrum:, I got made - showed them how to use the machines and left it up to them to do their own clothes.
You have a good day, don't over do it!
 
@marmora Congratulations on 34 years. Sounds like a great life & family.
Pretty funny how different families do things. I can remember my Mother ironing everything.
It seems like most of the cloths now don't need much. My wife will sometimes touch up her work cloths before work but mine are wrinkle free. (I hope) Seems to me they used to put starch in things for some reason. Any way I do my laundry & my wife does hers most of the time. Mostly because I don't want to wreck hers & I use different soap than her as hers make me itch. Nothing worse than itchy undies. :eeeuw: Ha.
She does most of the cooking & I do the dishes. Since I have been retired for 3 days now I'm guessing I will be doing more chores. :swoon: Take Care & heal fast.
 
@ironman60
Good Morning from a sunny, dry and mild Dublin. Yes, every family works out their own routines and what works best for them. My husband' smother was widowed when he was 7 and his sister 5 years old, so helping his Mum around the house with chores just was part of his life - and I am lucky to still reap the benefits !
I am being discharged on Tuesday morning and looking forward to my at home post - TKR life !

Take care and enjoy retirement. I took early retirement from teaching on 31 August 2013 and have really enjoyed this new phase in my life and when both knees will be working again - Wow !

Cathie
 
@marmora Good morning! It is storming here. Love a good storm! You will be home soon! Bet you can't wait. Just don't overdo it when you get home. Pace yourself! Have a great day!
 
I am SO much enjoying yr posts. The details must take quite an effort. But great encouragement for us still on the dark side.
I tell you what , tales of the rehab place must be setting new levels on the green with envy scale. :roseshwr:

Given the irish love of things green maybe that's natural.

Anyway , thanks for all yr posts.
Love and prayers Lorl. :flwrysmile:
 
:loveshwr: @lorl @IrishMike @bball78 @tiredwife @Jozilla @Reebok and @ everyone else,
Trouble getting on BoneSmart site, like many of us the last few days.
I left Caritas Rehab Centre on Wed 6 August after staying there for 14 days and cannot speak highly of the care, attention from all the staff from the kitchen porters to staff nurses. Having PT twice daily and lovely outside space for daily walks certainly aided in my recovery. And that the 14 days were without cost was a surprising benefit & I will use that savings towards my out-patient physiotherapy .

It is actually 3 weeks today since mt LTKR and looking back I can see the progression from 17 July to today. Small increments and looking forward to continuing the recovery journey. There have been good days, not so good days & painful / exhausting days - but they are all part of the healing & recovery process.

A most important part of the recovery/ healing processes has been
finding BoneSmart and the helpful, kind, thoughtful & giving people that I have met on this site.

We can talk with family & friends about our TKRs - but only the "BoneSmarties" can truly understand what it is like.

Take care all and may each of our recoveries bring us relief from the pain & discomfort that we had been experiencing.
Cathie xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom