TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
@marmora Good Morning/Afternoon! :) Steve isn't near as sore today. We went and picked up his Norco and bought him a new pair of shoes. They must be comfortable because he is sitting in his recliner with them still on! Either that or he doesn't want to bend down to untie them:heehee:. You have a great day!

@bball78 Glad to hear you are doing good!
 
@tiredwife
Hi Jackie,

Glad Steve isn't in too much pain today. Yeah for his Norco !

New Shoes in September always remind me of the start of school.

Enjoy your day,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I may need new shoes but will hold off until after TKR #2. I think I will have to have some sort of memorial ceremony for my beloved Merrill's that I've had since fall of 2007. They are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. A couple of years ago the insoles were wearing out so I ordered a new pair but the shoes, even though they were the same size and width, just didn't feel the same so I swapped the insoles, LOL! That was an $80 pair of insoles for crying out loud!
 
@tiredwife I understand not wanting to untie shoes! Well it was an issue more for my hips than my knee. You really can't bend down after THRS. I bought one of those kits with a grabber, sock tool and stuff and it had a pair of elastic shoe laces! I put them into my tennis shoes and wah-lah! ... Turned them into slip-ons. And the kit had the big long shoe spoon to use as well. I thought it was a great idea!
 
@gr82cu2
@ConnieJOS
@tiredwife

Hello Janet, Connie and Jackie,

I bought 2 pairs of shoes the day before my surgery & have lived in them since.
One is a brand popularGerman called "Ricker" have usually bought Rickers as they are super comfortable and have many styles.

Bought a pair with a Velcro strap for the first few weeks to make getting on/off easier.

The second pair were "Skechers" runners or what you call gym shoes. They are pink & grey and have laces and are super comfortable !

These will be my shoes for the time being.

"These boots are made for walking",...:walking:

Cathie
 
@marmora I agree - seems to be quite a few teachers around here!! I am at 25 years. . . But not sure I can really retire at 30. May have to shoot for closer to 35. . . Unless something really good comes along!

I really have loved the pool therapy. Will be using the facility even after my official PT is over!! Soothing and oh, so nice!!
 
@Ollie

Yes, lots of BoneSmart teachers.

Loved my job, but spent most of 2011/2012 and part of 2013 in & out of hospital with various surgeries and then recovery time. In 2012 had more sick leave than actual working time, so early retirement was definitely on the cards.

Still meet my 2 of my teaching friends almost weekly for coffee or dinner once every 2 weeks.

And the retired teachers from one of my old schools formed a "Latte Club" . We meet on the first Friday of the month September to June in a hotel for coffee and chat and catch-up from 11:00 - 12:30.

Sometimes there are 3 of us up to 12 of us, very informal who ever is available just drops in.

It great to keep in touch,

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora @gr82cu2 @ConnieJOS It is always sad to retire a favorite pair of shoes, especially for me as I have a hard time finding a comfortable pair, I have short wide feet. Sketchers are pretty comfortable though, and I have a pair of Georgia woman's hiking boots that are great. Forget dress shoes, I have maybe one pair and they aren't that comfortable. I like the Earth sandals with the 2 adjustable straps on them, ugly but comfortable. When hubby had his tendons on the bottom of his feet released his feet grew a size so his much loved Harley boots didn't fit anymore, he had those things re-sewed countless times.

@Ollie There are so many teachers on bonesmart I feel out of place :snork:.
 
@madinana

Hi Laurie,

On another thread, there was great discussion that the shoes we wire before our TKRs may not be suitable after surgery, as we are now walking differently.

Can't remember which thread, but that's where the discussion started about new shoes after TKRs.

Cathie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of sketchers gym/tennis/walking/whatever shoes I got in the spring. They have memory foam insoles and are very comfy. I don't like that kind of shoe typically. My feet get too hot and then they swell. My Merrill's are these..... https://www.zappos.com/merrell-encore-breeze-3-black At least they still make them. I may try them in wide. I think as I get older my feet are getting wider. I wear these shoes almost 100% of the time when I'm not in flip flops in the summer.

@madinana I sometimes think my operated leg is now a little longer than the other one. I have no idea though nor a way to measure to be sure.
 
@marmora @gr82cu2 I like Skechers as well.

@madinana My doctor told me when I was pre-op that my TKR may make my shoes not fit, especially ones I had worn a lot. This was because my knee was leaning in and shifting my weight inward causing my ankle to roll in, so my old shoes are a little mis-shaped with bulges on the inside. As far as leg length, I haven't found that with my TKR. But after my first THR that leg was about and inch longer. It was because my femur had been pushed up into my hip socket. I walked lop sided and had to wear a lift in my shoe. Fortunately my second THR corrected the problem.
 
Know what you mean about shoes.
I have been riding motorcycles for about forty years. My normal shoes are really cycle boots that can pass as shoes when worn with a suit. Big cuban heels, thick leather, steel caps, and very heavy. Not wearing them at the moment, just too heavy!
But they wear real well, current pair about seven years so far, but re heeled every six months.
Clean em every week, and they last forever.
Normally the heels wear on an angle, will be interesting to see how they wear now, or at least when I can wear them.
Nothing like old faithful shoes to be comfortable.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@marmora Good Morning/Afternoon to you! Hope you have a great day!

@madinana Thought I told you, yes you need new shoes because the old way of walking wore the old shoes in a way that could cause feet, and leg pain (maybe that is what is wrong with super calf) after TKR. I have found this info in a lot of different places, not just bonesmart. Steve waited on his new shoes til after his 2nd knee because we didn't want his then old knee to cause the new shoes to wear wrong. As for being longer, as Connie said if the leg was really crooked it would make it longer. I think also when you wear the cartilage away it makes the leg shorter and then they put in the new knee with the new spacer and it would make the leg longer by a little bit. I know hubby's OS said (after his 2nd knee) that he took a lot of time to make sure they are the same length, so it is possible if your OS isn't as cautious you could have one a little longer than the other.
 
Good morning Cathie and all! Nothing new for me this morning. I'm still in my morning wakeup phase. Hands are still hurting. Wish I knew what got that flared up. It's always something. It looks really pretty out this morning but is supposed to be hot, hot, hot today with high humidity and then storms coming tonight. Have a great day everyone!
 
@Reebok

Hello,
I was only thinking of you today & was going to send you a post this evening to see how your second week at work went for you.

Hope that it all went well .

Know what you mean about comfortable shoes.

Have a pair of navy leather super comfortable shoes 1.5 inch heel, that are about 10 years + old.
Get the heels replaced about twice a year and polish them with a leather cleaner & softener.

They are like an old friend and hope that I will still be able to wear them, even occasionally.
:flwrysmile:
Have a good weekend and good hearing from you,
Cathie
 
I had slip on Clark's for my first tkr which was during the winter. I loved loved them. This time it will be Propets sneakers also very comfy and both were slip ons!
 
@Jozilla

Hi JoAnne,

Love Clark's for comfort & style.
Not familiar with Propets- but comfortable shoes and slip on for the first few weeks are a must !

Hope that you find some time, between getting ready for Monday to relax.

Will be thinking of you over the weekend and on Monday.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hubby's new shoes are New Balance walking shoes, he says they are very comfortable. Well worth bending over to tie them!:heehee:
[Bonesmart.org] Left TKR on 17 July
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom