TKR Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the Vikings, it sounds like I would fit right in.
Sounds like everyone posting here is doing well.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Cathie ... Finally made it to your thread. Thank you so much for visiting me on my thread and being concerned about my recovery - I really do appreciate it.
Your group PT sounds great. When I was going to the gym I used to love the group PT sessions we used to have. There is something really nice about working out in a group.

I hope you are feeling good and that you are not having much pain. Now that I can concentrate for more than 10 seconds at a time, I will keep a closer eye on you.

Take Care ... Love and Aussie Hugs ... Ellen
 
@Minnie's knees
Good evening /night from Dublin, it's almost 8:30 pm here.
Thank you for your post and hope that you soon get a date for your RTKR.

But, until you do keep reading and posting as it is the best preparation for what ahead of you.
And we are all here to give you support & help.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Yorkimom
Hi Anne,

Six hours straight sleep,is also very rare for me - even before the LTKR.
Always wake up once and maybe twice during the night to go to the toilet.
So, the 6 hours hadn't been repeated since.

Envy you having a Massage today, great to have a masseuse in the family.
Have been thinking of getting one when it will be more comfortable laying on the massage table on my front.

Try to get a massage about 2-3 times a year and each time I go away saying must do this more often - but never do.

The Enable Ireland therapy pool won't be open until next week, so plan on going there on Tuesday afternoon & will let you know how I get on.

At my 1-1 PT on Monday we got 100 - 105 Flexion, but today Wednesday at my group PT session only got with a push 98degrees. But, at least it is going up from 90 degrees.

Enjoy your massage :chillpill:
Cathie
 
@bball78
Hi Cindy,

Good to hear from you.
As a former teacher (early retirement 31 August 2013) I understand how hectic the start of the new school year can be and after your RTKR in July, you must be really tired this September !

Your two 'angry' muscles sound painful and hopefully, they will ease out soon and won't disturb your sleep too much.

I am still using one cane when out of the house, but get around the house without it.
Going up the stairs not too much of a problem, it is the going down I find hard.
But, what goes up - must go down and now down very slowly.

Pace yourself with being back full time.
Do you get a chance to ice and/or elevate in the Staff Room during the day?

Understand with being back full time, if your posts are few and far between.
I know I would find it hard to be back working at this stage of my recovery.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@NetballKnees
Hi Ellen,

I remember the extreme tiredness of the first few weeks that you are experiencing now.
Had my group PT session this afternoon, today only 4 in the group with the 2 PTs, so we were able to do the circuits twice.

It is a 5 session outpatient group PT session and for one of the women, today was her fifth and last session. But, we were told we will have 2 new TKRs joining us next week -have to be 5 weeks post-op to join.

Great that your feeling better and sending you some Irish hugs}}}

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@tiredwife
Hi Jackie,
Had a good day at my group PT session and the lunging on the step as you suggested is really working.
Hope you & Steve have a good day.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hi Cathie, Steve had his 2nd PT today, wish we had waited a day as he is really sore now. His OS is on vacation so it was hard to try to get his Norco, finally will get to pick it up tomorrow good thing he still has a few Percocet. He does the stairs lunges 3 or 4 times a day 5 at a time. Glad it is working for you. He will be having several therapist he hasn't had before a few times in the next 4 weeks, we will see how they do.
 
@tiredwife

Hi Jackie,
Sorry to hear that Steve is having pain after his PT session.
Hope the Percocet tied him over until you get the Norco.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hi Cathie! You are doing great! What are the lunges on the steps that you mentioned?
Today I called a different PT. I liked the girl that I had last time, but I would only see her for about 10 minutes out of the hour and the other 50 minutes I would do exercises on my own. Sometimes I felt like I was doing everything myself with no help. I live in Newark, DE where the University of Delaware is located (a college town). Last time I was going to go to their PT department but they close for Christmas week and I didn't want to miss a whole week of PT. Since I don't have to worry about that this time, I'm going to try them. They are rated #2 in the country. The only thing is that I have no idea how they do things. At least if I went to the other PT I would know what to expect. Oh well, I just have to push my self to be adventurous.
Hope you have a good evening. Anne
 
@Yorkimom

Hi Anne,

The lunges are done by putting your operated leg on the first step of a flight of stairs and then bending over that leg so the knees are bending. And you can't see your toes.

I do about five of these and then move the leg to the second step and repeat.

Holding on to the banisters for support.

It gives a good, yet gentle bend to the operated knee.

Best of luck with your new PT.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Cathie,

You are correct with the stairs.....going up is pretty easy....going down can be a little tough. I finished my out- patient p.t. today. :yes!: I still need to work on my strength a little more, but he was happy with everything else. He did give me some new stretches to help with the cramping, which honestly, the cramping is the only pain I have and I rarely take any pain meds. My first tkr was a little easier, but the end results will be the same......no pain and better movement!:walking:

Tomorrow will be my 2nd full day back......am ready to get back to a "normal" routine. I'll keep checking back to see how things are going, but I think you are doing awesome!:yahoo:Keep up the great work!!!
Talk to you soon!

Cindy
 
@marmora thanks for the info Cathie. It's amazing how different areas do different exercises. I've never seen this one, but I can see how it would help with bending. Thanks again, Anne
 
@Ollie
The therapy pool located in a primary/grade school for children with physical disabilities will open its therapy hour for adults on Monday & Tuesday (2:30-3:30) next week and I will be there !

They provide a lifeguard and assistance getting in and out of the pool, but you do your own exercise routine during the hour no lane swimming is allowed, only exercising in the pool. They do have lane swimming hour at 7:30-8:30 am three mornings a week. :swim:
 
@yorkiemom

Hi Anne,

It was one of those common things, @tiredwife / Jackie told me that her husband Steve was doing this to improve his bend in a post sometime last week - had never heard of doing this.

And then at my 1-1 PT session on Monday, my PT introduced it to my exercise programme and said that it was very effective in helping to increase Flexion in a gentle controlled way.

Have a good day,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@bball78

Hi Cindy,

It's Thursday so only 2 more days until you will have more time to rest, elevate and ice.
You are doing so well and admire that you have been able to return to work.

In another post, I commented that there are a lot of teachers with TKRs !

Take care ,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@Minnie's knees

Every one here on the BoneSmart site really look out for each other.
Hoping your get your RTKR date soon!

The waiting can be very hard.

Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom