TKR Left Knee TKR Recovery

Thanks for everyone's well wishes!

Not even going to try any shallow water rescues! :swim:

Looks like storm will pass by us about 30 miles offshore tomorrow afternoon. We are still on track to see 50-70 MPH winds and 5-6 foot storm surge.
 
Looks like storm will pass by us about 30 miles offshore tomorrow afternoon. We are still on track to see 50-70 MPH winds and 5-6 foot storm surge.
I hope it goes well and stays farther off shore than expected for you - though I know it has to hit somewhere. Do you tend to lose power with these things? I was in Orlando last year in August when one of the hurricanes brushed along the west coast of Florida and I think it hit in the bend. Not very bad in Orlando but I met a lot of people who had come over from the coast to wait it out.

Hope the knee is hanging in there - keep us posted!
 
I pray for your safety from Helene and that your knee will 'weather' it OK. Don't be surprised if you have more pain during her passing by. The barometric pressure will affect your new knee for about a year. If we have a bad bp drop, even now, I can feel it in my soft tissues in the new knee and really badly in my old, arthritic knee. Your knee's increased pains should leave as quickly as they come, just don't be surprised by them.
 
Thanks everyone!

Since my last update the forecasted track has moved very slightly to the west which is good for us.

We are likely to lose power for some time. However, FPL is pretty good about restoring power quickly.

Today is 21 days Post-Op.

Yesterday at 6 AM I took my last Oxy and have been taking tramadol since. So far, this has managed my breakthrough pains.

My sleeping has become interrupted simply due to not being able to get comfortable. I'm taking 200 mg of magnesium glycinate to assist with that. Night before last it worked like a charm. Last night, didn't seem to work at all. When I wake up from the discomfort, I'll take a 10-minute walk which helps ease the "pain". I have been able to fall asleep after that, but sometimes staying asleep is the issue.

Last night my knee seemed to suddenly "loosen up"... in a good way. Meaning it was easier for me to walk with proper gait and my balance was markedly better. I woke up this morning and it has continued throughout today. I had a dermatologist appointment that I was running late for. I rushed out to the car and didn't realize I had forgotten my walking stick until I got to the doctor's office. I really didn't need it, but it was interesting that my brain was like... "we got this... don't need no stinking walking stick!" :snork:

I had PT today and it went well and I like my new PT person very much! Pushes just hard enough for me, but at no time too hard. For information purposes only, my flexion was 116* and extension 0*.

Continued success to everyone out there on their recovery!
 
That's a fantastic report on your PT.....AND not needing the walking stick. :dancy: I'm glad you've passed that corner where you can see obvious improvement. Can we trade my deep sleep and sleeping through the night with some of your waking up and walking the floors? All.I.Do.Is.SLEEP!!!!! :sleeep::tiredwheel::bored: I'd really like to watch some TV or read a book. Anyway---good luck with the storm/flooding, and stay safe.
 
I had a dermatologist appointment that I was running late for. I rushed out to the car and didn't realize I had forgotten my walking stick until I got to the doctor's office.
Hahaha...I guess that's the best sign that you no longer need it. Yay!! While necessary and a blessing to have, I thoroughly enjoyed kicking those recovery aids to the curb, one by one.
Fingers crossed, Helene, continues to move further away from your area. :fingersx:
Have a great day!
 
Well.. hurricane Helene came and went. It passed by us approximately 100 miles offshore as a Cat 4 hurricane. We weathered the wind and rain pretty good.

We were not as prepared as we should have been for storm surge that came about 6 hours after the hurricane passed. We received about a 6-8 foot storm surge on top of high tide in our harbor last night. It peaked out about 1 AM this morning. The surge went over our seawall and water came within 18 inches of flooding my house. Compared to others, we were VERY fortunate.

As the Dock Master of our community, I was out on the docks many times yesterday. Got a free pass to the ODIC last night and this morning. I'm icing like crazy today.

Hope everyone is doing well!

A few pics of my neighborhood last night.

Helene 2024 001.jpg
Helene 2024 002.jpg
Helene 2024 003.jpg
Helene 2024 004.jpg
Helene 2024 005.jpg
 
Glad you were personally spared, and I hope your responsibilities in the aftermath allow for some good icing and elevating!
 
Goodness. I am glad you are safe and escaped having the house flooded. Hopefully your knee will soon forgive you with ice and rest.
 
Oh my goodness how scary is that water! I'm very happy to hear that your house didn't flood. Hopefully no one else's did either but sounds like it might have happened. Hopefully there is some fix that can be implemented in case another hurricane gets closer. I hope you will get some well deserved rest!
 
Thank God you faired OK! Helene was a mean storm. I hope your knee settles down quickly. I'm so sorry you had to overdo yesterday and had a visit to the ODIC.
 
Wow, those are some impressive images, dark creepy water, looks scary to me.
Thankfully you're safe, your home wasn't flooded and the worst has passed. Now you need to get out of the ODIC and all will be good. Rest and ice should do the trick.
Give yourself some TLC and enjoy the weekend!
@JDinCT
 
When I wake up from the discomfort, I'll take a 10-minute walk which helps ease the "pain". I
Do you still ice at night?
I found sleeping with my knee resting on the open cool jacket really helped. I would replace the ice cold water when I woke.
Glad the flood water didn't get into your house. Those pictures look pretty scary.
 
When I wake up from the discomfort, I'll take a 10-minute walk which helps ease the "pain". I
Do you still ice at night?
I found sleeping with my knee resting on the open cool jacket really helped. I would replace the ice cold water when I woke.
.
Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes!

I'm very fortunate that now I'm at a stage where I don't need to ice at night. I do find myself having to get up and take a 5-10 minute walk about every two hours during the night. Doesn't make for a great night's sleep, but I'm managing.
 
Today is 4 weeks Post-Op.

Continuing to ice and daily PT with outpatient PT twice a week. Transitioned from Oxy to Tramadol last week but had regular (daily) breakthrough pain. Early in the week went back to Oxy 5 mg every 6 hours. This has worked well so far.

Still broken sleep at night due to basic uncomfortableness.

Not having to ice at night, but alternate ice on the knee and heat on the quad many times daily.

Have this pain on the outer tibia including my ankle. Don't recall having this pain before. Ankle is sore to the touch.

Also cannot tolerate sitting in my desk chair or in the car for very long. Only 15 minutes at my desk chair and about 30 minutes in the car. It can be super painful in the car where I have to pull over and get out of the car for a walk. I'm thinking this is a nerve issue?

Anyway, all-in-all, I'm happy with my progress.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom