TKR Left Knee TKR Recovery

We get great relief from an Infrared Heating Pad. Little pricey but it works for Sciatica and other aches and pains.

I'm unfortunately a member of the ODIC from yesterday lol.
Sorry to hear that. I do think we all visit occasionally. ☹️
 
Today is 18 Days Post-Op.

Been doing all my regular PT, etc. In the throughs of my second attempt in ramping down on the Oxy. Today is one week since I transitioned to one 5mg pill every 4 hours. Started out OK, but the last 2-3 days I'm getting that annoying, deep aching pain in the upper part of my tibia. Seems to increase at night. I'm monitoring my PT and other activity closely so I "don't think" it's due to the ODIC calling my name.

I'm going to say it's one of those annoying phases that we must go through to get to the next level.

I was up several times last night taking a walk and icing. This has made me a little foggy and anxious. Also feel like I'm getting "the blues". Also feeling the frustration of just being incapacitated. Trying not to go there mentally.

Once this script of Oxy is done (likely today is last day), going to make my best effort to get off that train and transition to tramadol for breakthrough pain. Have a feeling it's going to be a rocky road.

Onward and upward!

All the best to those with their recoveries!
 
feel like I'm getting "the blues". Also feeling the frustration of just being incapacitated. Trying not to go there mentally.
Good, don't go there. You're doing just fine at only 18 days post op. Focus on gradual recovery. Set small achievable goals for physical activity, engage in gentle exercises as a routine. Stay well connected with those that you love and keep your mind occupied in an effort to stifle negative thoughts. It's a process, as you know from your Right TKR and you will get there. This is extremely early days in the entire scheme of things, so afford yourself the TLC you deserve.

Thanks so much for the honest account of your recovery and your thoughtful support of others, you're a good one, JD! Happy Sunday!
 
Thanks for the kind words and support!
 
Here's a photo update 18 days post-op.

Major swelling is under control. However, still stiff behind the knee and tight IT Band. The moist heat is helping the IT band and the cryo-compression helps the behind the knee. I've been alternating between the two therapies. Cryo-compression probably 10 times a day and hydrocollator thermal therapy 4-5 times a day.

Bruising is almost a distant memory. No more soreness in the bruised areas.

Knee 004 18 Days post op.jpg
Knee 005 18 Days post op.jpg
 
Decided yesterday that I needed a change of scenery and needed to get out of the house to reset my mental state.
Went to a local restaurant for brunch with my fiance. Any yes, I had a glass of wine... :cheers:.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous as the first day of fall was upon us here in southwest Florida.

I had to take nap afterwards. But have to say, it was what the doctor ordered! Felt MUCH better after getting outside and being "normal"... even if just for a couple hours.

All the best to those navigating their own path to recovery!

[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 
Major swelling is under control.
Looking great JD!!
I’ve been icing 30 min on 1hr off faithfully and I’m still pretty swollen.
I had 5500 steps yesterday and still doing sitting slides and can notice things are getting easier. Just wish the swelling would cooperate. Keep up the good work!!
 
Great outing! It's often worth the short term energy drain to do something like that to lift the spirits (literally in your case :heehee: ).
 
Wonderful! You do need to get out and smell the roses along the way or you will go crazy.
Looks like a beautiful day for brunch and a glass of vino...in your cocktail shirt, lol :wink:
Have a great week!
@JDinCT
 
I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the sunshine. I know a change of scenery is sometimes the best way to break things up and change the mood.

Great job on recognizing what your body needs physically too. I have a love-hate relationship with my own IT bands, and recognizing pain in the areas surrounding the knee can sometimes be tough to figure out and address. I know my time is coming in a few weeks, and my moist heat will be ready to go too!! :)

Your scar looks SO GOOD too!!!
 
I have to admit I had to look at the pic of your knees for a few extra seconds to tell which was the surgical knee. Wow your scar looks great! Mine is still covered with the waterproof bandage and I know under that are probably about 45 lovely lovely metal staples. I'm glad I don't have to look at them haha!

You are doing great! I think you greatly underestimate my weight as 9 years of needing new knees and slowly losing mobility made the weight just go up and up - haha! I'm also tall so I can find more places to hide it. Even with perfectly working knees it will take me some time to build up muscle and lose weight. I'd like to be able to take a walk around the block after dinner - I managed it once after my right knee surgery but otherwise haven't been able to do it in 3-4 years.

I think your regular activity level is high and for you getting back to that will keep you and your knees in good shape and be the best therapy for them. The heat pack you showed looks really interesting! I might have to get one because I get that tightness as well. Plus I like heat.

Enjoy that warm weather and I hope you're not near the hurricane expected to affect Florida! My youngest lives in Orlando (went down to do the Disney college program and now is a full time cast member). Orlando is pretty darn safe thankfully but many are going to be affected by this weather it seems.
 
Thanks for the kind words!

My normal activity level is "relatively" high. I've struggled with weight control most of my adult life and exercise is the best tool I have to control that. I lost 65 pounds in one year through diet and exercise 10 years ago and I've kept the vast majority of that off through those same methods. BUT, it's still a struggle for me and I'll fluctuate 10-15 pounds dependent upon my diligence. As a reference, I'm about 6' 1" and 215 pounds currently. That's about 10 pounds more than I like to be.

It's difficult for me to dial it back and I didn't do so well with that the first time around and paid for it. I'm trying to be more cognizant of that this time and listen to my body more.

Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Helene (soon to be Hurricane Helene) will be passing pretty close to me. It's still very early with this storm and it's yet to reveal it's true path. However, we are now in the cone of uncertainty. If it stays on the currently predicted path, we will get some 50-60 MPH winds and a 4-6 foot tidal surge. We should be able to handle that with minimal damage in our area.

All the best to you in your recovery and keep up the positive thoughts!
 
Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off for the most part.
Hopefully you remain out of the path of Helene. Stay safe and take care, JD!
@JDinCT
 
Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Helene (soon to be Hurricane Helene) will be passing pretty close to me
Keep us posted on how it goes - just a lot of uncertainty with this storm path so everyone has to prepare just in case. Hopefully it will stay manageable and your power stays on!

I've struggled with weight all my life (had my thyroid removed at age 13 and boy is my metabolism a turtle). (I brought up my weight because you had mentioned about the oxy dose differing based on weight - which I hadn't thought about - not trying to weight badger you!). I have really been able to tell a difference as my activity went down over the last 9 years that the weight goes up. I know just being able to be normally active (like shopping, cleaning, take a walk after dinner) will really help. I'm dialed down about as low as a person can be - haha! Nowhere to go but up for me! :heehee:
 
Unfortunately, Tropical Storm Helene (soon to be Hurricane Helene) will be passing pretty close to me
I've struggled with weight all my life (had my thyroid removed at age 13 and boy is my metabolism a turtle). (I brought up my weight because you had mentioned about the oxy dose differing based on weight - which I hadn't thought about - not trying to weight badger you!).
No worries at all !

I really didn't take it in a negative sense.

Back to hurricane prep mode ........ :prayer::shrug::beg::kayak:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom