TKR Left Knee TKR Recovery

I'm relieved you're evacuating. Hoping you stay safe, and that things are ok on your eventual return home.
 
I'm glad you guys are leaving too. I was just watching the weather and noticed they'd upgraded it to a Cat 4. :xmark:

One of my husband's direct reports called him last night to inform him they are evacuating again. I can't remember where exactly he lives on the gulf coast side, but he said it's very tiring with the emotional ups and downs. Take care and be as good to that knee as you can, and I agree---this is why I always save a couple of Oxy/Vicoden and not throw them all out. You just never know when you will literally be escaping a natural disaster.
 
Good thing I saved some Oxy. :snork:
Always a good idea to have something in reserve for emergencies.
Good luck! I hope your journey goes well and is not too uncomfortable. Hope your home is spared any damage.
Makes me appreciate our very mild but grey London weather this year.i Actually a nice day today- but has been a poor Summer. Thinking of you.
 
I am really sorry you're going through this. It has to feel unsettling to prep your home, not knowing what you may return to. Your safety is the most important. You'll be in the thoughts and prayers of many. Take good care and safe travels.
@JDinCT
 
My prayers are with you and all those that will be impacted by Milton. Also, we can't forget those who are suffering so badly from Helene.

Please check in with us when you can. God bless you and yours.
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers! We made it to New Orleans late last night. The roads were packed on the way to Tampa airport. Literally crawling along at 10 mph. Took 2.5 hours to get to airport when it usually takes an hour.

The new knee did not like the extended car trip. Was better than a week ago, but not very comfortable. Took an Oxy when I got to airport to prep for the 1.5 hour flight. Flight departure was then delayed 1.5 hours. Then we were delayed on taxi out to runway due to all the flights. About 45 minutes on the taxiway before we took off. The new knee was enraged about the delay. Once airborne, was able to access my carryon bag and took another oxy. It only provided minimal relief. Was able to walk up and down the aisle once before the seat belt light came back on and everyone was required to be seated for remainder of the flight. Got an Uber from airport to our Air BNB which was about a 30-minute ride. Could not find a comfortable seating position for the duration of the trip.

So after a total of eight hours of travel and just when you feel you will get some relief, the Air BNB had about 20 steps to get up to the main level... :flabber:

I was exhausted but couldn't sleep due to my new knee screaming at me. :tantrum2:

The good thing about it all... me and my family are safe.

We will see what the next couple days bring.... stay tuned.
 
Glad you are OK. But so sorry you had such a tough journey so early in your recovery.
 
Oh my, that sounds like a nightmare that you had to go through. Do you have the ability to ice now that you are settled in? I pray that your knee settles down quickly.
 
What a miserable experience, in every way!!! I'm glad you guys are safe, and I'm praying the damage isn't as bad as expected. I know the reality of the situation though and can't imagine living it.

If it helps, I wanted to scream when I made it to the end of your post and read about the stairs! Why is there always an exclamation point on an already painful situation??!!
 
Do you have the ability to ice now that you are settled in? I pray that your knee settles down quickly.
I did bring my portable ice therapy :ice:

I've used this for several months even before my TKA and it works pretty well. It only lasts about 15 - 20 minutes, but much better than nothing. It's available on Amazon.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery


Today I'm on the couch in Air BNB and icing 15 minutes about every hour and walking about 10 minutes every hour. On the way to a better spot with the knee today.

The Fam is out and about in the French Quarter... but I just couldn't do it today.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeh, rest is most definitely what any of us post op would need!!! Glad you're safe.
 
Sorry for the very tough travel day but at least you made it. I'm sure you wanted to crawl out of your skin a few times with that pain. It's also just hard to get comfortable sometimes on a different bed with different pillows and different chairs to sit in. I thought about that a lot the first trip I took after TKR (which was 4 months after).

For sure it's the right decision to get out of the area there. My son is in Polk county but closer to the northeast end of it (closer to Disney) and I'm worried for him even though I know it should be fine. He's never been there through a hurricane so we've been scrambling a wee bit (he also has some serious health issues that would be a 911 emergency if he end up without supplies). Let's hope that somehow it for you and him and all of the folks there it goes better than we may be expecting.

I hope you can get out and enjoy the French Quarter! My husband traveled there for a conference a few years back and loved it.
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to leave your home with such a new knee. But it sounds like you are handling things okay. Hopefully the damage will not be as bad as I'm hearing on the news reports.

I noticed the prep work you did on your house and thought I'd mention a neat product I saw advertised. It's from the FlexSeal line of waterproofing products and in especially made to use for water from flooding or storm surges. It goes on as a yellow spray around doors, windows, or anything on the outside of your house. In the ad, the house they used it on literally flooded up about 4 feet and stayed there. When the water recedes, you can just loosen and pull off the yellow material to free up your windows and doors. I thought it looked wonderful. It's obviously too late for this storm, but you might check it out if you ever need something like that again. Since it looks like your home is on the water, I'm guessing you're going to get some storm surge.

Take care of yourself and try to get as much rest as you can.
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to leave your home with such a new knee. But it sounds like you are handling things okay. Hopefully the damage will not be as bad as I'm hearing on the news reports.

I noticed the prep work you did on your house and thought I'd mention a neat product I saw advertised. It's from the FlexSeal line of waterproofing products and in especially made to use for water from flooding or storm surges. It goes on as a yellow spray around doors, windows, or anything on the outside of your house. In the ad, the house they used it on literally flooded up about 4 feet and stayed there. When the water recedes, you can just loosen and pull off the yellow material to free up your windows and doors. I thought it looked wonderful. It's obviously too late for this storm, but you might check it out if you ever need something like that again. Since it looks like your home is on the water, I'm guessing you're going to get some storm surge.

Take care of yourself and try to get as much rest as you can.
Jamie -

Thanks for the tip on Flexseal. I actually used the tape and caulk on Helene and had placed a reorder. But it did not make it in time for Milton.

For this prep, I actually used the Flexseal caulk (in the large tube) and applied it on all the sealing surfaces on the sliders and door openings. I went through six large tubes. Then I modified my prep that was used by a friend on Helene by using standard outdoor caulking appllied in a heavy coat on the opening perimeter, then placed 6 mil plastic sheeting on the caulking, then applied a third barrier of heavy duty duct tape on the outer edge to allow the caulk to set up and provide an initial barrier.

I used the tape for Helene... it did not get tested by flood waters, but seems to be a very good product.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning everyone!

Hurricane Milton made landfall in Siesta Key, FL about 20 miles south of my house as a Cat 3.

The landfall was such that we avoided the dreaded storm surge. From some accounts, we actually got negative storm surge as the water was being sucked out of the Manatee River and Tampa Bay. A repeat of Irma.

From reports in our harbor, we fared very well. 102 MPH winds clocked at our location. Our commercial marina had some minor damage to finger piers. A couple private homes lost their docks. From early reports on our neighborhood docks, a couple boat lifts were toppled and we lost some main piling roller assemblies.

Here is a link to a camera on our commercial marina..
RDM South Dock Marina View – Riviera Dunes Marina (rdmarina.com)

We sustained some minor damage to landscaping, missing roof tiles and soffit damage on our house. A neighbor sent me a few outdoor pics. All things considered, I'm feeling very lucky today.

Hoping everyone is doing well.

We are scheduled to fly home tomorrow. The Tampa airport remains closed today.

House Damage 001.jpg
House Damage 002.jpg
House Damage 003.jpg
House Damage 004.jpg
House Damage 007.jpg
House Damage 006.jpg
.
 
Last edited:
It is good to know that you can get home and there doesn’t appear to have been major damage. I hope your journey home is smooth and not as tough on your healing knee.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom