Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left Knee TKR Recovery

Anyone else using this app?

Kaiser HMO PT's in my area use it so I'm very familiar with it.

At least the last time with surgery in January - if I was supposed to do 10 reps 3 sets a day - the app would essentially keep me going to do it 30x all at once rather than doing 10 and stopping and 10 more in a few hours, etc. I ended up writing them out on a chart on paper. Maybe the PT should have put them in differently but it got to be frustrating to use. The videos on the app were very useful.
 
Update for Day 5 -

Continued with my home PT yesterday and managed to complete two sets. Also did a few walk abouts in the house. Continued cryo-compression throughout the day and through the night.

Actually managed to cook dinner for my fiance and myself last night. On my feet for about 30 minutes. Knee was swollen a bit afterwards, but the cryo-compression provided the needed relief.

Second outpatient PT was today. Continued with different forms of stretching with a focus on loosening up my calf, ITB and hamstring. Other primary focus was to get the quads firing to stabilize the knee. Got two additional at home PT exercises. PT was about 45 minutes total time.

Knee felt really good after PT. Much looser than any time post-op to date. Actually felt a bit stronger.

Extension was 0* and flex was 98*. PT Therapist stated their goal is to have a 5* extension and 90* flex at one-week post-op. I'm five days post-op.

Still sleeping through the night.

Need to work on my gastrointestinal lack of function. Am taking Dulcolax stool softener and taking some Miralax with my hydration daily. Yesterday I did take a straight up laxative, but that has not managed to break through yet. One of the most unfortunate issues with Opioids. Uggghhh....

Best of luck to all those in recovery and all those with upcoming surgeries.
 
Extension was 0* and flex was 98*. PT Therapist stated their goal is to have a 5* extension and 90* flex at one-week post-op. I'm five days post-op.
Glad to read that you are doing well, JD. Sounds like all that icing and elevating is making a difference.

You may already know this, but your therapist's goal is not the norm and isn't realistic for most people. In fact, the standard most surgeons use is 90 degrees flexion by 6 weeks post-op.

So, if your bend is coming easily and without pain, that's great! But please don't force it (or let the PT force it) because you can end up with rebound inflammation. It's your knee and you are the boss.
 
Extension was 0* and flex was 98*. PT Therapist stated their goal is to have a 5* extension and 90* flex at one-week post-op. I'm five days post-op.
Glad to read that you are doing well, JD. Sounds like all that icing and elevating is making a difference.

You may already know this, but your therapist's goal is not the norm and isn't realistic for most people. In fact, the standard most surgeons use is 90 degrees flexion by 6 weeks post-op.

So, if your bend is coming easily and without pain, that's great! But please don't force it (or let the PT force it) because you can end up with rebound inflammation. It's your knee and you are the boss.

Benne -

Thank you for the feedback.

I am very thankful for my progress and realize it's not the norm. I was simply repeating what the PT Therapist said and I don't let it drive me one way or the other. I'm sure every practice has their internal metrics based upon their own data, outside data or a combination thereof.

I ended up in the OIDC penalty box on my first TKR and remember that painful experience well. It was due to my own type AAA personality which sometimes gets me in trouble.
 
I ended up in the OIDC penalty box on my first TKR and remember that painful experience well
No fun in there, as you learned...Stay Out. :kickedout:

Unfortunately most of us do a stint in the ODIC, some longer than others.
Mine happened the day after I decided to transition from walker to cane, in ONE day. I walked around and around the house trying to master using the cane and the entire next day was spent in the recliner with -> :ice:
Live and Learn I guess. :wink:
Thankfully you understand boundaries. Have a great Tuesday, JD!
@JDinCT
 
ended up in the OIDC penalty box on my first TKR and remember that painful experience well. It was due to my own type AAA personality
Yep! That's me as well! Before my more recent TKR, my OS actually scolded me so I wouldn't repeat my earlier missteps! :heehee:
 
Update Day 6 -

Continuing with my home PT and plant to complete two sets (one set already in the books). Also will do a few walk abouts in the house. Continuing cryo-compression throughout the day and through the night. Knee is still a bit stiff from swelling even with all the cryo-compression therapies. Just goes to show you that's it's a slow process.

When I was learning to operate a rather large and heavy boat, my Captain told me something that sticks with me today and is applicable to TKR recovery... " Slow is Pro".

Today I'm starting the transition phase off the Oxycodone. Starting last night, I'm taking 5 mg every 4 hours. Previous to that, I was taking 10 mg every 5 hours. So far, this is working and the pain is still under control.

My best to everyone in this journey.

Remember.... "Slow is Pro".
 
Update Day 7 -

Continuing with my home PT and completed one set today and also went outside for a dock walk that ended up being about 1/2 mile total. Continuing cryo-compression throughout the day and through the night.

The bruising is beginning to show.

My continued transition phase off the Oxycodone seems to be working.

Feeling pretty good for one week out!

My best to everyone in this journey.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 
Looking good...and happy outdoors in your beautiful surroundings. Glad you're getting out to take in some fresh air and sunshine only one week post major surgery. Hope the bruising fades quickly and you have a peaceful evening, JD.
@JDinCT
 
Your swelling is being controlled well with the ice/compression treatment! Those bruises will probably be around for at least a few weeks. I looked at mine as badges of courage!
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am very fortunate to live in a boating community in southwest Florida. I'm actually the Dock Master of our community that has three docks and 105 slips. That's the excuse I used to my fiance about "having" to take a walk down the dock. :) In all transparency, I did get a visit from the pain fairy in the middle of the night. I attributing that to my dock walk.

Almostready -

I do have a regular fitness regime and play my fair share of pickleball. I'm in decent shape for a 65-year old fat guy . :).

I do believe that pre-surgery fitness contributes significantly to post-op recovery.

I'm continuing my med and PT protocol and have my third outpatient PT this afternoon. I'm hoping to get rid of my walker after this PT visit. I'm walking in the house without it more often that with it the last two days.

All the best to those in their recovery journey!
 
Today's outpatient PT went well. They removed my bandages and requirement for the walker. Moving on to the cane... well a walking stick in my case.

Here's my badge of honor... Day 8
[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 
Update Day 9/10 -

Thursday and Friday was one of "those" days. Woke up with considerable breakthrough pain on Thursday. Reviewed my daily PT and exercise log and didn't see any activities that would have put me in the ODIC. Did not see anything that stood out.

Reviewed my med log and then it became evident. Starting on Monday, I began to wean myself off the Oxy. I had began taking 5 mg every four hours instead of 10 mg every 6 hours. By Wednesday, I was down to 5 mg every 6 hours. From what I can assess, it seems I got behind the pain curve by Thursday morning.

Thursday was a "reset" day for me in my recovery. It took me until Friday afternoon to complete the reset.

Not sure how many people in recovery chart their meds and/or PT. In this case, it allowed me to assess what was going on and come to a conclusion on the issue. I'm an engineer so it's a natural thing for me.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Last edited:
Happy Saturday, JD!
Glad you figured to out. I hope you have a nice weekend.
Starting out soggy in my neck of the woods. Hope your day is sunny and bright! :SUNsmile:
@JDinCT
 
Happy Saturday, JD!
Glad you figured to out. I hope you have a nice weekend.
Starting out soggy in my neck of the woods. Hope your day is sunny and bright! :SUNsmile:
@JDinCT
Thanks Layla!

Managed to get to my neighborhood gym this morning for some upper body workout. Felt really great to just get out of the house and to work up bit of a sweat! Stopped by the pickleball courts and visited with my pickleball regulars. Can't wait to get back on the court!

I live in SW FLA, so I'm fortunate to have many sunny days. Today started out sunny with some clouds now moving in and some showers expected late morning. Generally, they are short lived. We are just "cooling off"... which means lower 90's here. Within a couple weeks it will be the heart of SW FLA awesome weather season where the humidity goes down, the rain showers dissipate and it's generally sunny most days with tempos in the 80's and 70's. This will continue until Apri-May.

Have a great weekend yourself!
 
Sometimes I would wake up in pain and not be able to figure out what the cause was. It was then that I settled out the fact that I must have moved wrong that night during my sleep. Sometimes there is just not an explanation for more pain and swelling, and it just is the knee fussing about something, just like an infant!
 
Update Day 11 -

Yesterday was an overall great day!

I was able to do some "normal" things. In addition to getting to the gym, I managed to go out to the grocery store. It was challenge, however I used the cart as a walker. After that outing I had to take a nap. :)

Unfortunately, my overnight was not so good once again. I had an agonizing pain in my shin that kept waking me up. I could not shake it until I finally brought out the big guns with 10 mg Oxy around 5 AM.

With the Mako robotic surgery, they drill into the shin bone and place a locating rod and mount with an array on the shin that the robotic system uses as a key locator for the surgery. This was likely the source of the pain. Up to last night this had not given me any additional pain.

Overall, I'd still give yesterday/last night a 7.5.

My swelling is being kept in check pretty well using the Game Ready device. I'm still using the cryo/compression therapy frequently, but not as much as the first week. See photos below,

Best of luck to everyone on this journey!

Knee 002 9-14-24.jpg


Knee 001 9-14-24.jpg



Groceries 001 9-14-24.jpg
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom