Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left Knee TKR Recovery

Just catching up on your past three days!

Knee looks great!

Even with minimal visible swelling like you have, icing and elevating 45 minutes at a time will also help with pain.

Shopping at 11 days is incredibly early. I suspect you're overtaxing muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Regardless of the specific type of surgery, on a cellular level healing takes time.

1705510297746.png
 
Here's some interesting images. All are infrared images taken with my FLIR camera app.

First image is a basic comparison of both knees.

Second image is a target image of my operative knee. It's 98.24 Deg F.

Third image is a target image on my non-operative knee. It's 90.5 deg F.

As you can see, there significant more blood flow going to the operative knee. You can even see traces of the major veins feeding the operative knee.

Thought everyone would find this interesteing.

[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery


[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery



[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 
Interesting, JD! The body's ability to recover is an amazing thing.
I hope you have a nice week as you continue healing.
@JDinCT
 
Here's some interesting images. All are infrared images taken with my FLIR camera app.

First image is a basic comparison of both knees.

Second image is a target image of my operative knee. It's 98.24 Deg F.

Third image is a target image on my non-operative knee. It's 90.5 deg F.

As you can see, there significant more blood flow going to the operative knee. You can even see traces of the major veins feeding the operative knee.

Thought everyone would find this interesteing.

Knee Heat Image 001.jpg


Knee Heat Image 002.jpg



Knee Heat Image 003.jpg
Amazing
 
I loved those camera images! How interesting! I believe that extra blood flow is one of the reasons for the overall tiredness the whole body is feeling. It's concentrating on healing that knee, taking energy away from the rest of the body.

These are from our Nurse Emeritus, Josephine:

On the left is the needy 'child' body with areas of damage and trauma indicated.
On the right is the giving 'parent' body which you should view as a kind of thermometer gauge indicating the amounts and intensity of energy being sapped by the child body for its healing and recovery.

The deeper or brighter the colors, the more intense the amount of energy being drained or used.
The colored areas in the center or core of either body also represent the tendency to experience fatigue after only mild or moderate activity.


Energy drain for TKRs



Energy drain for TKRs



Energy drain for TKRs




Some Transactional Analysis factoids:
Just as a baby will take from its mother regardless of her health and well-being, so will this 'child' body drain energy from the 'parent' body. This is the reason why, when a person wants to be up and get going on things, they very quickly run out of stamina and end up feeling totally fatigued and washed out! This 'child' body takes no enemies! It will take what it needs when it needs it and you better get used to accommodating its need to suckle else you'll find yourself regretting it big time! :wink:
 
I managed to go out to the grocery store.
Did you have to lift your leg into the car?
I had to do that with my left hip replacement for a few weeks lol.


With the Mako robotic surgery, they drill into the shin bone and place a locating rod and mount with an array on the shin
I think we had satellite type devices inserted above and below our knee!!


 
I managed to go out to the grocery store.
Did you have to lift your leg into the car?
I had to do that with my left hip replacement for a few weeks lol.


Yes, definitely having to lift my leg into the car. I drive a SUV so it's a bit higher off the ground.

I put the seat all the way back, sit down on the seat with both my legs hanging out of the vehicle, then rotate my body bringing my right leg into the vehicle and then lifting my left leg behind the knee with my left arm into the vehicle. This is all done VERY SLOWLY.
 

With the Mako robotic surgery, they drill into the shin bone and place a locating rod and mount with an array on the shin
I think we had satellite type devices inserted above and below our knee!!




I did notice that my cell phone signal has improved since the surgery .... :):rotfl:
 
Well... been quite the busy day!

Had my follow up with the surgical PA plus I had a PT appointment.

Started the day with a short upper body workout at the gym. Trying to keep upper body and core strength up while the knee recovers. I'm not doing ANY leg related weight or cardio exercises at the gym.

My surgical PA consult was very short. They took X-rays and he PA reviewed them with me and asked if there was anything he could do for me and he asked about my overall condition and how the recovery was going. He was very happy with my report to him and the way the implant looked on the X-rays. See photos below. Now I have a matching set!

My PT was with a new PT person. The third one in three visits. I don't really like that as I believe you create a bond and relationship with your PT person during recovery. Looking forward at my future PT appointments, it appears this will be my PT person going forward. She has a good philosophy and does not PUSH. That's my number one criteria and I can work with her from here. Did some new stretches and did the stairs (four of them four times) for he first time. Went well and I'm pleased with my performance. For info ONLY, extension is 0* and flexion is 110*. Everyone is happy with that result at this point of the game.

1763160284349.webp
1763160341019.webp


1763160462382.webp
1763160531326.webp


1763160582689.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really good!

I agree that if you find a good PT, it's comforting to keep the some one.
 
Well... been quite the busy day!

Had my follow up with the surgical PA plus I had a PT appointment.

Started the day with a short upper body workout at the gym. Trying to keep upper body and core strength up while the knee recovers. I'm not doing ANY leg related weight or cardio exercises at the gym.

My surgical PA consult was very short. They took X-rays and he PA reviewed them with me and asked if there was anything he could do for me and he asked about my overall condition and how the recovery was going. He was very happy with my report to him and the way the implant looked on the X-rays. See photos below. Now I have a matching set!

My PT was with a new PT person. The third one in three visits. I don't really like that as I believe you create a bond and relationship with your PT person during recovery. Looking forward at my future PT appointments, it appears this will be my PT person going forward. She has a good philosophy and does not PUSH. That's my number one criteria and I can work with her from here. Did some new stretches and did the stairs (four of them four times) for he first time. Went well and I'm pleased with my performance. For info ONLY, extension is 0* and flexion is 110*. Everyone is happy with that result at this point of the game.

View attachment 90301 View attachment 90302 View attachment 90303 View attachment 90304
What a great update. Your radiographs look great
 
Everything looks great! I'm SUPER JEALOUS you went shopping already. I wasn't able to get out shopping until 3.5 weeks or so last time and I'm holding off until after my 2 week visit at the very least this time....and probably longer. I like shopping so it's a big motivator for me haha!

I found that walking "a bit" in the store made my leg/knee feel looser. My house is on a hill and my last surgery was in January and I needed to go to a big store to walk (Target).

I love the heat pics - really interesting. I can feel how much warmer the operative leg is. Your activity level is definitely higher than mine! My surgeon is fairly strict with pain meds and I don't get over a 5mg oxy - and he starts tapering after the first week. I find that I'm fairly conservative with movement so I can manage the pain with what I have available. It's definitely a delicate dance between too much and not enough and staying comfortable!
 
My surgeon is fairly strict with pain meds and I don't get over a 5mg oxy - and he starts tapering after the first week. I find that I'm fairly conservative with movement so I can manage the pain with what I have available. It's definitely a delicate dance between too much and not enough and staying comfortable!

I'm fortunate in that both my medical teams were patient centric. Both were "listen to your body and we will be there to help". This was their philosophy whether it was PT, meds or whatever other needs I had.

My last oxy refill, it had a new message on the label, "DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN 6 PER DAY". I asked my surgical PA about that at my follow up and he stated that they need to comply with the "legal requirements", however, they would accommodate my needs.

My script is also 5 mg each, but I'm 6' and 218 lbs. I'm no doctor, but I imagine a 5 mg oxy would affect me differently than it would you. I also push the envelope with recovery more than most. Just the way I'm built. So I would imagine your meds needs are different than mine from that perspective as well.

This week the one 5 mg oxy every four hours has worked for me. Hoping the oxy is on the way out.
 
I have been experiencing significant pain due to an extremely tight IT Band. My PT therapist recommended the type of moist heat that they use in their facility. These are called hydrocollator pads. I purchased a large one to apply to my IT Band and had the first opportunity to use it this morning.

All I have to say is that it IMMEDIATELY relieved the tightness and pain of my IT Band.

For those that are experiencing pain due to tight muscles or ligaments, you may want to consider trying this.

I know we talk about ICING, ICING and MORE ICING all the time, but not often about use of heat to relieve post-op pain and stiffness.

Good luck to everyone out there in their recovery journey.


[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Left Knee TKR Recovery
 
We get great relief from an Infrared Heating Pad. Little pricey but it works for Sciatica and other aches and pains.

I'm unfortunately a member of the ODIC from yesterday lol.
 
I know we talk about ICING, ICING and MORE ICING all the time, but not often about use of heat to relieve post-op pain and stiffness.

Very interesting about the heat pack helping you IT band. That should be helpful to many who suffer with this very thing.

What we say about using heat is to not use it directly on the knee. Heat feeds inflammation, ice restricts its growth. Heat everywhere other than the knee is OK. I am so glad you found it helpful for you.
 
We get great relief from this Infrared Heating Pad. Little pricey but it works for Sciatica and other aches and pains.

I'm unfortunately a member of the ODIC from yesterday lol.
Thanks for the reference.

I'm not a PT therapist, and I don't know how infrared heat compares to dry heat as compared to moist heat, but my PT person was very specific about "moist heat". She said that's the most penetrating and beneficial and that's why they use those hydrocollator pads at the PT office.
 
This retired RN/martial artist is a BIG fan of moist heat for muscle/connective tissue tightness and for chronic pain.
I use ice only on new acute soft tissue injury (sprain, bee sting) and during postop recovery like the TKR.
 
I have been experiencing significant pain due to an extremely tight IT Band. My PT therapist recommended the type of moist heat that they use in their facility. These are called hydrocollator pads. I purchased a large one to apply to my IT Band and had the first opportunity to use it this morning.

All I have to say is that it IMMEDIATELY relieved the tightness and pain of my IT Band.

For those that are experiencing pain due to tight muscles or ligaments, you may want to consider trying this.

I know we talk about ICING, ICING and MORE ICING all the time, but not often about use of heat to relieve post-op pain and stiffness.

Good luck to everyone out there in their recovery journey.


Heating Pad 001.jpg
Heating Pad 002.jpg
This is very interesting thank you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom