Guest viewing is limited

THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Overactivity often doesn't show until the next day. As you know, at one month post op all is still healing.
It's too bad we don't have a built in alarm that signals when we're getting close to doing more than our healing body will be comfortable with. Maddening! :gaah:You know the drill and you're doing all the right things. I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly. :fingersx:
@Deni444
 
Thanks again @Layla funnily I was just reading another thread and realised that I've actually been doing quite a lot for 4 weeks post op. I'm probably well overdue for a bang on the head to slow down. I may not go on much of a walk but I do a fair amount around the house, I guess that can add up without realising. The extra lap around the garden was probably the straw that broke the camels back!
 
Whoopsie! Just noticed it's your one month anniversary (to date) We go by dates, much easier than counting weeks, especially the further out you get.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Deni!
@Deni444
 
Happ one month anniversary, @Deni444 . Oh well, the ODIC club. I was in and out of it so many times. You'll get over this. You are sensible and persevering.
Strangely, my first ODIC experience wasn't about running (which many people including my family and some doctors advised me against actually, but I did it anyway and it never hurt me), no it happened at about 6 months after surgery, when I carried a rucksack that was too heavy and walked about 3 kms with it. After that, my hip and my thighs hurt, but after 24 hours of rest, the pain was gone.
 
Thank you for your wise words @Constanze

I have to admit it gave me quite a wobble. I've been good at keeping on top of my pain since surgery and it came out of the blue and didn't respond very quickly to medication. I was a bit anxious to say the least. I read over quite a few threads to reassure myself. I'm very happy to report that after a day of rest and ice it has calmed down. A note to self ... Do not underestimate the breakout pain associated with self inflicted, over doing it. I was silly. I knew I was pushing it to do an extra lap around the garden. First lap great. I had more in me. Next quarter lap my body said, that will do. No, I had to push the rest of the lap.

I guess we all have to experience it to believe it. :sorry:
 
No one escapes the clutches of the OverDid It Club!!! You have lots of company with your membership in this group. It’s normal … all part of the recovery process. The key is to recognize when you’ve done it and scale back for a bit before trying again. It’s a process and you’ve handled it just right.
 
I joined the ODIC yesterday as well :gaah:
It was a beautiful sunny day here and I walked a little further than I had been doing - still only half a mile round trip, but on an uneven lane and downhill (then of course uphill) and that took me half an hour. Plus the usual daily tasks. So hip and groin sore by the time I went to bed. I’m still surprised how much energy the basics of daily living take and they are much more tiring than usual. :tiredwheel:

I have the appointment at the hospital tomorrow to scan for the possible blood clot so that will be a tiring day simply getting there etc. I’m hoping there is no clot and I can stop doing the twice daily injections!
Hope it’s sunny wherever you all are.
 
@IndigoKnee I do hope the results are good tomorrow regarding the blood clot. I'm no expert but when my Dad had one it was constantly, incredibly painful. I hope that your level of energy and motivation is a sign that you don't have one! Just left a message on your thread about the merits of patience... As much a warning to myself :)

As for the weather it's a bit blustery with a tupperware colour sky. I'm enjoying watching crows do some acrobatic flying from the safety of my recliner.

@myglasshalffull Thanks! I was so grateful to all the bone smarties who had shared about overdoing it. It was a bit spooky to experience a sudden set back. I'm resting up still but things seem to have settled down. I'm going to proceed cautiously tomorrow with a return to a little more activity. Any tips on how to approach a ramp up again after a set back?
 
Hello @Deni444 , I’m now 10 weeks out having had my TRHR on Feb 11th. I have to admit to struggling not with post op pain but with other associated muscular pains in thigh, knee, calf and foot. It started in my thigh not long after my op when I realised my knee, (replaced 9 years ago) was being pulled inwards by my weak thigh muscles when walking.
At my 6 week check up it was explained to me that it was my gait from many years of hip arthritis prior and it would settle down with good exercise. I had been discharged with just a printed sheet of ROM exercises! No strengthening and no stretching. I queried it at the appointment and was told, don’t look at the online exercises from the hospital but look at these a colleague has done on his web site. I asked to see a physio and told it wasn’t necessary. So I took a look at the web site, to once more be confronted by 30+ year olds with a lot of muscle doing exercises in positions I could only dream off. I only saw a physio once before I was discharged after only 20 hours in the hospital.
So I went to see my osteopath who explained that it’s not unusual to get tight muscles after what your leg has been through.
She’s worked on my thigh (it’s taken 3 appts) and my knee doesn’t pull across as much but it’s still pretty sore at times. But it’s now been replaced by tightness in my calf going under my foot. Not all the time but after I’ve walked about 200 yards, I can stand it for so long but the burning pain from the tendons just becomes too much and I need to stop, no sign of a clot or anything sinister, just excruciating tightness, It’s so frustrating as I expected to be able to walk so much further than before the op. But it’s just not happening. So today I had a private pity party, I know I’m doing okay but I just needed a cry to get through today. So I know exactly how you feel, every step feels like a mile.
 
@Eyesnlegs :flwrysmile::friends:

I hear you! Thanks for sharing and never cry alone when you can share it with others who understand. I really do and I know a lot of what you are feeling and there are others on here who do also. It's so frustrating... We just want to be fixed! Finally fixed after going through surgery. Facing a steeper hill than we imagined is the first hurdle. Setting the hurdle gives you an opportunity to line it up for the jump though. You describe in great detail, the many, diverse and interrelated soft tissue challenges. That's what a lot of people don't realise. This isn't as simple as a new joint, especially if the joint has been compromised for years. So yes, it's enough to make a person cry a few bitter tears... Maybe quite a few. Be honest though, don't you feel a little better for letting it all out? Like cleaning off the decks ready for the race. Knowledge is power! You and I know so much more and it may not be an easy path but we are now on a path to recovery.

Cry but don't surrender... Onwards and upwards :)
 
@Eyesnlegs :flwrysmile::friends:

I hear you! Thanks for sharing and never cry alone when you can share it with others who understand. I really do and I know a lot of what you are feeling and there are others on here who do also. It's so frustrating... We just want to be fixed! Finally fixed after going through surgery. Facing a steeper hill than we imagined is the first hurdle. Setting the hurdle gives you an opportunity to line it up for the jump though. You describe in great detail, the many, diverse and interrelated soft tissue challenges. That's what a lot of people don't realise. This isn't as simple as a new joint, especially if the joint has been compromised for years. So yes, it's enough to make a person cry a few bitter tears... Maybe quite a few. Be honest though, don't you feel a little better for letting it all out? Like cleaning off the decks ready for the race. Knowledge is power! You and I know so much more and it may not be an easy path but we are now on a path to recovery.

Cry but don't surrender... Onwards and upwards :)
Thank you @Deni444, I know you're right and yes better for letting out but a lot better when someone responds who knows and understands. My surgery was before yours I really didn't expect to struggle this long.
I documented by TKR 9 years ago and fully expected this to be easier. I admit the TKR was more painful but this is just as long a recovery. Thank you so much for responding and keep going too x
 
Last edited:
Deni,
If you want to stay out of ODIC I’d resume your activities slowly.
For me I always had a “to do” list in my head beginning of the day.
I might get a few things done then Miss Hip wanted ice & rest. Some days I’d lay on heating pad for a bit. Most times after about an hour I could get a few more things checked off the list but if it didn’t get done there’s always tomorrow. I’m not a patient person but sure had to learn that virtue! Plus many chores around the house require bending & I couldn’t bend enough in beginning to do some of the chores but that made me more “ creative.”
Things you learn how to do with kitchen tongs should be a book I could publish!
This recovery road is all about listening to your bodies cues.
 
@Deni444, just out of interest. You write earlier on in your thread: "For anyone who's interested it cost me £17,350 for a cemented, left THR". This hospital where you had your hip replaced: Was it private? Or why else did you have to pay? As far as I know, you can get it for free or for a low cost on the NHS, or can't you get it on the NHS anymore.

I had my operation for free (in Germany we all pay an extra monthly rate for statutory sickness insurance). I just had to pay an out-of-pocket contribution (around the equivalent of 40 pounds, I think), for my stay in a rehab facility.
 
Hi @Constanze

I lived in Belgium for a while, I think their system is similar to Germany. Yes, I paid to have the surgery in a private hospital. I could have waited to have the surgery completely free on the NHS because like you we pay a contribution through our earnings that gives us a lifelong entitlement to free medical care. The waiting lists for elective surgery are long and getting longer. It varies from region to region but a couple of years is often the norm currently. Another example would be waiting to see a specialist. I think last time I checked I was looking at nearly a fiver year wait to see a rheumatologist.

It's not talked about very openly here, you can also pay for private treatment in some NHS hospitals for certain surgeries. My surgeon offered me, free NHS (10 month wait), pay for private treatment in an NHS hospital or private in a private hospital. The fee was almost identical to pay private for NHS treatment but there was a waiting list for that (only a few weeks though compared to months for free).

I had to proactively ask the surgeon. I don't think they are encouraged to offer private treatment, unsolicited. It's a little confused though. It all seems to be in the hands of the surgeons. From what I understand they are all free lance, like little businesses offering out their services. They have a private office and secretary, that sort of thing. It may be different outside of joint replacement but that's my experience of the system. It's not surprising it's all a bit of a mess over here. A lot of people have private medical insurance, often through employment. In that scenario the cost of private treatment is covered to varying degrees from free to partially paid for.

Personally, I had private insurance but a few years ago when my issue began they claimed my arthritis was a long term chronic condition and not covered by my policy. They wouldn't cover my tests to see what was going on with my joints. I cancelled in disgust but later realised they would have been obliged to cover future surgery regardless. That turned out to be a costly mistake.
 
Last edited:
:loveshwr: Thanks for your invaluable tips @myglasshalffull

I'm following your guidance! I'm currently in-between things on my list and have my feet up in my recliner. My morning involved the bathroom, getting dressed and a little tidying in my bedroom using my grabber. I had to rest a bit then until my hubby made us lunch. I then tackled a little light dusting until I was reminded it was probably time to sit down again. My goal for the rest of the day is to be able to prepare the evening meal. I'm planning little mini prep sessions in the kitchen. I'm a little nervous to do a lap of the garden but I may try a timed walk activity tomorrow.

Like you I'm not very patient, particularly when I have a task I want to complete. I think the pain on Saturday has been a strong incentive to take things slowly.

You should write that book! I'd buy it :). I love finding creative ways to get things done. I'm actually going to miss my crutches. I'm becoming quite an expert. I use them to dress now instead of my grabber. Not to mention light switches, opening and closing the curtains and the controlled push off of things up on a high shelf... Not for the faint hearted and watch your head :heehee:
 
My morning involved the bathroom, getting dressed and a little tidying in my bedroom using my grabber.
Made me laugh envisioning you tidying your bedroom...looking like Edward Scissorhands. :heehee:
Sick humor, I know. :wink:
 
@Layla I think you were pretty spot on :heehee: Judging by the look on my hubbies face when he catches me doing stuff... I definitely look like something!
 
@Deni444 I’m following your recovery thread here as there’s some great support and tips even though I’m ahead of you. So thank you for the sharing you’ve done.

You’re doing great and I can definitely relate to the look on your husbands face when you try to do some things. My husbands favourite phrase all along has been “please just ask if you can’t quite manage/reach”, but we’re far too independent. I have MS too so I’m very slow doing some things and he’s been much faster than me at everything he’s done in the last few weeks. I don’t think I’ll ever bother cooking again his meals have been so good . I do hope you’re feeling better today though. Your support yesterday was invaluable and I’m feeling much more optimistic today so a huge thank you for that.
 
@Deni444 . Hi Deni,
Thank you for your explanations, which sound very interesting. I understand now. And this system whereby you have kind of free-lance doctors that work at hospitals and have an office somewhere else exists in Germany, too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom