THR left it TOO long: Left THR Posterior

Thanks for the wisdom @Layla I guess it's going to be a while and that makes sense :)

@djklaugh Where there's a will, there is a way... ingenuous use of a back scratcher :giggle:. It's no joke when the bladder and crutches refuse to play nice together in those early days!
 
Deni,
I stuck to golfers reach for very long time. I had a friend that dislocated 2-3 x’s from bending to tie shoes as well as gardening so I was super aware of not being in a hurry to just bend over!
 
Two Months Post Op Journal: LTHR Posterior

I haven't posted a recovery journal entry for a couple of weeks because there didn't seem to be much change. I've had to dig deep to appreciate how I've moved on. What I've realised is that I'm not able to do very much more but what's improved is how I do those things and how quickly I achieve them. Here's a list of the improvements:

  • Morning Bathing/Dressing: I'm in and out of the bathroom and dressed in a lot less time. At six weeks I was having a rest in my recliner between the bathroom and bedroom to dress. Now It's seamless and then I have a little rest.
  • Kitchen Clean: Washing the pots and cleaning the kitchen sides and cooker at 6 weeks took up my morning. I'm now finished mid morning and have time to sit and catch up with some hobbies before lunch.
  • Grooming the Dog: At 6 weeks I could manage about 10 minutes and now can stand with the dog on a table and groom and clip for about 30 minutes. I sit for a moment or two but not long.
  • Cooking: At six weeks I was cooking a simple main meal and my husband was doing lunch. I now cook more complex meals and prepare a simple lunch.
  • Vacuuming: At 6 weeks vacuuming took a long time with multiple breaks. I now do three rooms with a single little sit half way.
  • Laundry: I did a full load of laundry using my old style twin tub today. It took a couple of hours today rather than all afternoon to do a small load.
  • Walking: I've decided to focus on being active in the house and walks around the garden are back to a single lap. The weather is bad and it's a little precarious currently.
 
@Deni444 Returning to normal activities might seem like a small thing ... but it really is a major accomplishment! And a new normal with a (mostly) pain free hip - :cheers:
 
You are doing really well for just two months post-op, @Deni444 -- especially given the fact that your other hip is a problem.

Every milestone -- no matter how small it seems-- is a sign of progress. And you have a bunch of them. Cause for celebration!
 
Well done Deni! You are doing so well. Good idea to keep a diary of how you are progressing, especially useful for when you are having the next replacement. I know each replacement is different but even so I think it will be encouraging for you to see.
 
It’s definitely worth tracking the achievements, no matter how small they seem. It’s all progress. I am a keen home cook and am looking forward to taking back cooking duties. Slightly tricky whilst using 2 crutches, and even when I shed one, it will leave the wrong hand free.
 
It's all progress and steps in the right direction. I'll bet it feels good to be able to do some of those chores again, even the ones you're not too fond of. Grocery shopping is not one of my favorite things to do, but once I could do it again, without using an assistive device, while trying to hurry through the store, grabbing only what I needed, I had a new appreciation and a grateful heart to be able to shop leisurely, without pain! It's funny how this surgery can give you a heart of gratitude, once you're able to accomplish tasks again that became so difficult as your hip deteriorated. I love that you've noted the victories so far. You're doing great, Deni!
@Deni444
 
Thanks everyone for all the kind words :loveshwr: @Coddfish Cooking in the kitchen is hard core physio. Generally, I need two crutches but it's impossible to get things done. I've gradually had to push myself using just one crutch for my right leg and everyday it gets easier. Thankfully, I'm right handed! My new left hip gets quite a work out. I've found a new love for my apron with a huge pocket. I can fit all sorts in it to carry from cooker to counter, even a couple of dinner plates. I do a lot of side walking to get up and down the counter, great abductor exercises. Squats to put things in the oven. Standing on one leg to give me hip a rest or stretch for things. It's amazing what a little creativity can achieve.

@Layla I'm really looking forward to my first shopping trip but this weekend will be such a blessing to be thankful for. My daughter is coming for a short stay bringing my little two year old granddaughter. I'm looking forward to being able to walk around the garden with her. Last time I saw them, I could barely get around with a wheeled walker.
 
Some great milestones for my diary. It's been 18 months since I could stand to take a shower. I've had to sit on a bath board. Prior to surgery I was too unsteady on my two bad hips and the dysplasia on the right made it difficult to place my right foot inside the sloping sides. Today I was able to climb over the bath using a wall handle and stand for a nice long shower. Yesterday, I was able to climb into my high (chest height) bed using a standard step rather than use the mini stairs my husband constructed when I had problems after surgery. To top that, today I had my first walk around a shop for six months.

My weekend walking around the garden with my two year old granddaughter was a delight. What an almighty blessing a hip replacement is!

Oh... Forgot. Can now also hook my foot into my pants without using a grabber. Yay!!!
 
What great progress you are making, @Deni444! Thanks for sharing these milestones and giving hope and inspiration to those who are following you on your journey!

:flwrysmile:
 
Wow:xmark: All so good! I feel like we need to bake a cake, or pop a cork or something to celebrate.
That's a whole lot of good stuff you shared there.
What an almighty blessing a hip replacement is!
I'll second that!
I'm happy for you, Deni!
 
:flwrysmile: Thanks everyone for your loving encouragement.

I took a gamble and tried a small walk today. It was 0.4 miles about 1000 steps (still on crutches). I'm hoping I haven't overdone it but I've been able to be active on my feet around the house for 30 minutes at a time and so thought I'd try. If I'm fine tomorrow I can hopefully start a daily walk and build it up gradually.
 
Hoping you have no side effects from that. Don’t worry how long it takes you to build up, just add to it little by little, and don’t compare yourself to others.
 
How are you feeling today after yesterday's walk, @Deni444? I hope you aren't on the ODIC bench!

A suggestion: rather than trying to walk EVERY day, start out by taking a walk every OTHER day and give yourself that day off in between. Once that feels comfortable, you can increase it to walking 2 days in a row, then taking a day off.

Building up slowly to the goal of a daily walk avoids setbacks!

(And please remind me that I said this when I start pushing boundaries during my recovery! :heehee:)
 
Hope you were able to start your daily walks today. :walking:Weather and comfort level permitting.
If not, it will come in due time. Have a lovely Sunday, Deni!
@Deni444
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom