THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Glad all is well!!!
Small showers dampened our fireworks, but not our spirits!
Will try again this weekend.
35 miles...jeez.

Go Dougie!
Glad you're doing well and enjoyed the 4th.
Hope your Summer is all you want it to be!
@dougie0216

@Mojo333 Bummer about the rain. We were just thrilled that the temp was only in the upper 80's by sunset. It has been very humid this year. Heat index 105+ every single day. 35 is only 70% of 50. I'll be there by the end of August.

@Layla Summer is shaping up nicely! We spent more money on fireworks this year than in the past 5 or 6 put together. The city let everyone shoot their fireworks on the softball complex parking lot. It was nice to be able to light stuff and then get out of the way. And Not Hurt!!!

Hi @dougie
That softball field must have been a crazy scene. And noisy! I'll bet it was reassuring to know you could run, if necessary, without being in excruciating pain.
The difference a year makes.
Glad you enjoyed it. Hope your weekend is great!

Hi @dougie0216 , I'm happy you enjoyed July 4 - the cycling, the fireworks. I'm in Torquay, South-West England, now. Lovely sunny summer weather - went swimming and jogging along the waterfront.

@Constanze I saw a satellite pic yesterday and the whole of the UK was sunny. Awesome.

I have finally been able to build up to proper distances. Going 50K at first lite in the morning and then home to watch the end of stage 1. I'll go 60+k next week. I'm now slightly ahead of schedule. I hate riding with faster riders, but it appears to have improved my endurance and my quads. I rode further and longer than I have ever gone on Wednesday, and I was only marginally sore yesterday. I'm stoked.
Have a great time!

Greeting hippies! Our admin assistant at work just found out that hip dysplasia is the source of her pain. She has a surgery consult tomorrow. Same OS as me. I have encouraged her to become a Bone Smartie.

As for me, everything is great. Still training for my 50-mile bicycle race in 18-days. Life is good. I'll be back here soon, I promise. We have had relatives visiting and I got to go rock-hopping the other day. Awesome.

Glad to hear you are doing well, @dougie0216 !
Good grief, I worry you are going to wear those new hips out.
Yes, I still do worry for you..:whistle:
Hope the assistant joins us...maybe she'll peruse your old posts and see what a hardhead you are..but she probably already knows you are an overachiever!:giggle:

Roll on...glad you are back to life!:yes!:

@Mojo333 They know I'm nuts. That is pretty much it.
She is borrowing my cane until her new one comes in and I have been giving her tons of unsolicited advice, like join BoneSmart.
Also, they all covered for me last year so now it is time to step up and help someone else out.

Hi @dougie0216
Always so nice to see you stop by. I hope you're enjoying time with your relatives.
Eighteen days until your race...You'll have to let us know how it goes. I wish you luck!

Thanks for recomending BoneSmart to your admin assistant. Talk her into lurking at the very least, I'm sure she'll become a member once she gets a taste of the forum. Lots of great peeps and support as you obviously know.

Stay safe on your bike and keep in touch.
A great rest of the week to you!

Hi @dougie0216 , I enjoyed reading your update. I haven't got much in the way of news to relate. My holiday in England was marvelous. We spend 2 weeks in Devon - rented a holiday apartment in Torquay - the English Riviera - and went on daytrips. We saw the Mayflower steps (where the Mayflower started out in 1620) at Plymouth and there is a Union Jack flag and the Stars and Stripes; we went on a steamer boat trip to Brixham, a fishing town, took a car trip to Dartmoor where cows, sheep and Shetland ponies run free, and many others. It was hot and sunny, and I went swimming in the sea. But I have no news about my hip and sport. I have no major events like marathon or Ironman planned but I'm trying to keep my levels of fitness. I run 8 km from time to time or cycle to work or go swimming in the lake near my work.

Probably at the end of this month, I'll have my cataract operated. Hopefully, I will need no or only very weak glasses for driving and reading glasses then. I'll have my preop appointment on August 16. Enjoy the cycling.

Unlike where you are, we've had rather a drought and very hot weather. Many lawns here are brown. Today it was raining here for a short period with a short thunder storm. That was welcome for me. I need a rest from watering the garden.

Have fun cycling. It would be nice if we could welcome your colleague from work here on Bonesmart.

Best from Constanze

Hello Hippies, here we are on the penultimate day of my recovery from RTHR. Our little group is 100% committed to riding the 50-miler at Hotter-n-Hell in Wichita Falls, Texas tomorrow. It will be a warm start of 75F and around 90F 3.5 hours later when we finish. We will be stopping as some rest stops! We will be battling a headwind on the 20K home stretch. We hope to avg 16mph.
So at 7am tomorrow, I will be on the start line with 10,000+ other riders riding everything fro 25-100 miles. It is the craziest thing I've ever seen. The Air Force Jets fly over, then they start the pros. We should start about 5-min later. It usually takes a couple of minutes to just get to the official start line because of the mass of cyclists.
I'll be back with a report and pics.

Hi Dougie,
Always nice to hear from you! I wish you luck tomorrow.
Stay safe with those two new hips. Hope you have a great time.
Will look forward to a pic. :bicycle1:
@dougie0216

Wishing you a wonderful ride, friend.
Sending good mojo your way!:ok:

Hey Hippies! I did it.
2018-08-25_12-46-22_412.jpg

What a day !
Up at 0340. Air-up tires and put bicycle on vehicle. I took a quick shower, threw on shorts and a T, ate a quick bowl of cereal, put the duffel bag of kit in the car, grabbed the cooler/gatorade/insulated bottles and departed at 0445 for Wichita Falls 70-miles to the S.
Arrived at 0550, found a parking spot and changed into my kit. My buddies didn't arrive until 0630 but we made it to the start line by 0655.
The race 'started' at 0705, but it was 0730 before our group (50-milers) rolled. There were over 10,000 riders at various distances.
It was Hot and Windy!! All went well until the 33-mile mark when one of my buddies bonked. He pulled over with muscle cramps. We got him somewhat hydrated but.. Anyway, 2-miles later the race turned S into a 25mph headwind. It took 2-hours for me to get my friend the last 15-miles.
We finished!!!
So, I managed to achieve the goal of riding 50-miles, just not how I pictured it happening.
It was a challenging day. By the time we finished it was 100F. Ugh! But The race is called 'HotternHell.'
The Sag Wagons (transport for those who abandoned the ride) were doing a booming business.
I'm no worse for the wear, DW and I went to a symphonic concert tonite.
Here are some thumbs of race day.
Bike with numbers.
Partners in crime.
Line for facilities at 1st rest stop.
35-mile rest stop.
Air Power Alley, Sheppard AFB mile 45.

I'm tired now, and have celebrated all of the above by taking some Tylenol, NSAIDs and a muscle relaxer:biking:

Next race is in October, I know it will be much cooler.

Attachments

• 2018-08-25_22-53-33_183.jpg
    2018-08-25_22-53-33_183.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 2018-08-25_06-56-31_230.jpg
    2018-08-25_06-56-31_230.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 340
  • 2018-08-25_08-18-29_839.jpg
    2018-08-25_08-18-29_839.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 318
  • 2018-08-25_11-05-57_183.jpg
    2018-08-25_11-05-57_183.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 311
  • 2018-08-25_11-53-06_827.jpg
    2018-08-25_11-53-06_827.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 322
Great job Dougie!!!
What an accomplishment.
I know that you are can think back to January of last year and see how far you've come. I can.
So proud for you.

Checking back in. The absolute craziness of the last seven days is off-the-charts.
So we rode the bicycle race and then went to a symphonic concert on Saturday. Monday was my 60th birthday. My co-workers had decorated my office with lovely :censored: 60th birthday decorations :sigh: They bought a Giant chocolate chip cookie for me and sang HB.
After work, DW and I went to dinner.

Tuesday I went to work but became ill after 2.5 hours so I went home. (I have my phone set to not take calls or texts while I drive.) As soon as I turned off the car my phone blew up with 7 text messages.
That is never good and it wasnt.

My half-sister had texted, telling me my birth-mom had passed away on my birthday. She did not want to tell me on my birthday, I understand.

I am adopted, but by the magic of an online genealogy forum, my sister tracked me down nearly 20-years ago. Birth certificates in TX have a code in the number. Some of the numbers correspond to the last name of the mother. If those numbers are different than the child's name on the birth certificate you may have been adopted. Since they knew the date, time and place of birth, and I was the only birth at that time and place and the numbers were different, chances were I was their guy. After meeting my sister, I met my birth mom. That was really cool.
Genetics are scary. I grew up 110 miles away from a family I didn't know I had. There is zero doubt. The parallel paths, college degrees earned, hobbies, interests, books we read, movies we owned, instruments we played, sport we participated in and most telling: an extra vertebrae (I have 26, so does birth-mom's sister) and our noses; it was freaky!! I do believe in environmental circumstances determining some human outcomes, but in our case, genetics ruled supreme.

So, I went from achieving my post-RTHR goal of riding a 50-mile bicycle race on Saturday to finding out 3-days later that the woman who brought me into-the-world had passed away.
High to Low really quickly.
I held it together for all of 30-seconds and did not go to work on Wednesday. Tears and work don't mix very well.
It is better now, the memorial service date has been set. Her wish was to be cremated and Urns are backordered! No kidding.

So, this has been the craziest week I can recall since surgery.... Just because you are a hippy, doesn't mean that life quits happening. At least I can drive 4-hours to be with one of my families without pain.

My adopted mom knows all this and is cool with it. I still have her.

Crazy week, hope everyone is well:fingersx:

Thank goodness it is a 3-day weekend. Whew!

I love you all. Doug

@dougie0216 So sorry for your loss. I hope it's a comfort that you were able to know your birth mother. Yes, life goes on post THR. Losing a family member is a reminder - live life to the fullest!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts