THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Life throws us all speed bumps..glad you are on your way to a happy healthy future!:yes!:
 
Hi @dougie0216 - I accidentally posted this on my thread as an answer to what your wrote. However, it's more suitable on your thread:
"Hi @dougie0216 - I'm pleased with your bike successes and your yard work. No pruning, planting and applying mulch for me yet because it has snowed again. Actually did ride my bike to the haircutters, and had my hair trimmed, and then rode it back - that was good (about 32 kms altogether), but on Sunday the snow started again, and we all went out showelling instead of yard work. But I had a run in the winter wonderland today - the snowy forest of the town of Langen (near Frankfurt) next to my work (3 degrees below freezing).
We don't have such intensive sunlight like in the US or Australia, so this couldn't have caused my cataract. Cataract is a part of normal aging and seems to be easy to treat - the op seems to be less of an issue than receiving a new hip. However, an ophthalmologist of mine thinks mine happened so early because I'm shortsighted ( have myopia - can one still say shortsighted or is that too derogatory - in British English it seems to be perfectly ok). I'll probably have the cataract operated after my triathlon and England holiday in summer. No issue with the left hip - no deterioration of the unoperated hip after all this running". I wish you a great spring - Constanze
 
@Constanze It snowed? Oh no! I will send you some warmth. It was 20C here today. Over here and we call myopia 'nearsighted.'

I am finally seeing results from training pay-off. We went cycling this am, and instead of lagging behind on the hills, I was first up. I had my GPS running and when I uploaded the data to Strava, I had set a new PR on a hill segment. I talked the entire way up and HR only hit 154. I was 2-min faster than in Jan. I'm going back over the same route on Saturday so I will go max effort and see what happens time-wise on that segment.
I did lose a couple more pounds of the hippy fat. So I am down 16 lbs total and about ten # lighter than the last time I rode that hill..., maybe the weight has something to with the improved performance...:chinstroke:

So my short-term goals are to ride my bicycle aerobically (cardio-wise) 3x/week, lose the other 7# to get down to 200#. I hope to be able to ride 30+miles by mid-May. The house is clean, laundry is done and the yard looks good so I think we can table the 99% of normal stuff. I'm able to do more physically now than at any point in the last 6 or 7 years. We'll call it 100%
Cleaning garage, walking 2mi and spraying weeds tomorrow. Friday I'm going to go peruse bike shops in Oklahoma City and eat fatty foods:yes!:
Saturday I will ride 20-hilly miles solo at about 90-95% effort. Wifey will drive the team car, lol.
Finally, I should be a great-grandfather by this time, tomorrow. The great is not a typo. The grandson and girlfriend evidently have FOMO.

New pic of skinnier me after the ride today.
Peace man!
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
 
@dougie0216, you're brilliant. Great photo. Congrats for your newly acquired fitness, your training performance and the weight loss. Lower weight certainly results in better performance. My performance in all 3 disciplines (swimming-cycling-running) is stagnating. You know the reason why.

I've just returned from my lunch-hour run with my colleagues from work, and guess what? It was snowing. The last time for a long long time, I hope (!!). But the snow turned into sleet and the sleet turned into rain, and the rain has stopped now. They forecast warmer weather (hope they're right). At least some of the daffodils and crocuses in my garden have survived. Do daffodils grow in your part of the US?

All the best for your grandson and his girlfriend and may it all go right. I'm not even a grandmother yet, but I wish you a lot of happiness as a great-grandfather. Warm regards from Constanze
 
Checking-in. My 10-month RTHR anniversary came and went on the 1st, and I did not even think about it till yesterday. That is a good thing.
Weather is warming up, so much so I was able to ride in a sleeveless cycling top last weekend.
I got my first 20-mile ride in the weekend before last. I'm keeping the weight off! You know, eating opioids and chocolate for a month isn't a bad gig, but it is terrible for your waistline. And you can't drive anywhere.
@Constanze Yes, daffodils do grow in our area. I don't have any, but we do have 3 varieties of Lily in our front flowerbed. And roses and these awesome orange-yellow coreopsis. It is a bit early for those flowers, our last freeze is usually April 7. By the end of the month it will be awesome. I'll post a pic.
So, for those of you battling the snow, this is from my 18-mile ride this past Saturday. It was 78F:
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

Look mom, no sleeves.
 
Happy belated ten month hipversary and great update.
We too are seeing spring.
Yay...fishing trip to the coast planned for next weekend if it doesn't get derailed....
Glad all is well with you.:yes!:
 
Happy Ten Month Anniversary :yay:
It will be mine (10 mo) in 3 weeks. Time sure flies!
Still think you're ahead of me, wild man. I'm not doing 20 mile bike rides, that's for sure.
78 degrees, I can only dream....high of 27F here today :heehee:
You're doing great @dougie0216 I'm happy for you.
Enjoy the weekend!
 
Very please with your update @dougie0216 - and the "no sleeves" picture. Cool humour! Summer's coming here (finally) - looks as if spring will be left out. Maybe not 78 degrees yet but aroud 65 (approximately - I still use the converter on the internet to convert Celsius into Fahrenheit after all those years of learning English :). So I went for a more long-distance cycle ride on Saturday - 42 miles along the Main and the Rhein - a good route. I will concentrate more on cycling and swimming now - will give running a rest. I had a fall on my buttocks a week ago when I went swimming with 2 of my daughter and one of the boys - hope it's not serious but my bottom is sore and I need a rest from running. Cycling and swimming works ok. Enjoy your cycle rides.
 
Hey @dougie0216 , how are you getting on with your cycle training. Is that a cherry tree in the big photo behind you? Beautiful. Over here is Germany it's much too dry for May, and at night almost at freezing point - the climate is changing in a strange manner - I thought we had global warming.
I ran again. Slow & easy 6 km in the forest near work. Please keep your fingers crossed that I'll feel normal tomorrow. This is my 4th attempt at what I call "a phased-in return to running". Met my colleagues from work who usually run with me, and they think I can run fast enough to keep up with them again, but I'm a chicken. I've got the German "angst" and don't want to risk anything. I want this time to be a success. After my first 3 attempts at returning to running, I felt so sore that I had to ice and elevate all evening long. Also: My thighs have got thinner in just 4 weeks - I can't imagine that muscles would atrophy in such a short period. Maybe it's because I've been eating less junk food - now I need more chocolate again. My swimming and cycling are making progress. Yesterday, I swam the full half-Ironman length (1.9 km) and the day before yesterday, I cycled 50 km. It's just another month till my race in the Kraichgau area, southern Germany.
Do keep up the good training - Hugs Constanze
 
OK, I've been bad. Which is good. I have been so busy doing normal person things that I haven't had time (made the effort) to check in on my hippy friends. As part of my job, I have extracurricular events almost every weekend in May so there have been several six and seven-day weeks. No issues with the hip, aside from trochanteric bursitis; but that was due to a repetitive task I did, it wasn't related to surgery or recovery. It was on my left hip which was replaced back in 2013

I am gradually lengthening the distance I cycle. I will ride 25+ miles this weekend. On purpose. I have two races on the schedule. A 25-miler in July and a 50 in August. I am almost to 400-miles since RTHR last June 01. I still walk, and still do PT exercises. I walk 2-miles 2(x)/wk, and ride twice/week.

I got my first Strava Segment KOM on Sunday! The guy whose time I beat is 20-years younger and has moved to Michigan. He messaged me on Monday wanting to know, what was the deal? I apologized for taking the top spot, halfheartedly. We used to ride together. He is free to come down from MI to take it back at any time.

All is well, I will check-in later this week and touch base with everyone. Promise.

Ain't life grand?

Doug
 
I got my first Strava Segment KOM on Sunday! The guy whose time I beat is 20-years younger and has moved to Michigan. He messaged me on Monday wanting to know, what was the deal? I apologized for taking the top spot, halfheartedly. We used to ride together. He is free to come down from MI to take it back at any time

That is awesome :happydance:@dougie0216 !

Glad you checked in...ive been wondering if all was well with you and yours
 
Hello @dougie0216 - nice to hear from you. I'm pleased to read a new post from you. Have fun with the cycling and your cycle friends. Could you explain how this works with the Strava Segment. I'm a bit of an ignoramus.
My situation is also better - had more luck than judgement - I didn't give myself enough time to recover after this fall at the swimming pool in April and hurt for quite a long time. But now I'm better. I did a 90 km training ride 2 weeks ago and commute to work on my bicycle. Will post more on my own recovery thread another day. I've got to work now.
Happy training
Constanze
 
I had my annual RTHR appointment last week. All good.

@Mojo333 Howdy! We have both recovered from our respective replacements. I'd much rather have a hip replaced than a shoulder. She still has some pain. I'm at 51-weeks and pain free. If I didn't see the scar, I wouldn't know.

@Constanze Hello there! Strava is a cycling/running app. My GPS connects to my wifi, and it posts the data to Strava after the ride. Then I can view my effort on a smart phone, tablet or laptop. Aside from an app, it is also a social networking interface. You can just run it on your phone, but if you ride a good distance, you might run out of battery.
A lot of professional and recreational cyclists/runners/swimmers use it. It is free. There is a Strava app that costs money, but I don't need to go that in depth. The free app gives me all the data I need.
It tracks your daily/weekly/monthly/annual and all-time stats.
You can 'follow' others and you get notified if they complete a run, ride or swim.
Segments are specific hills or distances you can create yourself, or use one created by someone else.
There is a 1k segment around the corner, literally, from my house. I go ride it 100% every couple of weeks to see if I am improving any fitness wise. I'm getting a bit faster. The person with the best time, or KOM (King of the Mountain) looks to be 40-years younger. I am not a sprinter.... If I paid for the app, I could see their age. Without paying all you can see is their picture. Going for 40k+ on Sunday. I would rather increase distance gradually than hit the wall and be sore for a week:loll:
 
Happy birthday hippies! Actually my 1yr hipaversary isn't until tomorrow.
However, tomorrow is Friday and I may not be online tomorrow.

Well Doug is light years ahead this time as opposed to his first hip replacement. Improved surgical technique plus the patient being in much better shape and having a MUCH better attitude made all the difference.

5 years ago I was all about 'poor me.' This time it was more like taking the car to a mechanic for a tuneup.

I rode 21 miles with a group last Sunday. A couple of us could have gone further but we deferred to our buddy who hadn't been on a bicycle in 3-weeks.

On Saturday, I will ride 25-30 by myself. It will be an anniversary present to myself. Everything is on track for the 25-mile race in July and the 50-miler in August.
 
Great 1 year update! Happy Hipaversary tomorrow! Enjoy that ride Saturday!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

Please forward to Dougie's hip!

Good to hear all is well!
 
I see dougie in the line up! :happydance:
Love when I see your posts. Reminds me of recovery....the fun days of recovery.
Hope all is well and that your Summer is going great.
Only four more days till my one year anniversary. Time sure flies!
Enjoy the Summer and stay safe on your bike.
@dougie0216
 
@Layla Hey there. Ain't life grand? I'm having a ball. I knew your anniversary was coming up. Awesome! Do you have plans to celebrate?

I feel bad for not visiting that often, but I am thoroughly enjoying life again. The yard looks awesome, I'm riding 50-60 miles/wk and am still doing walking/yoga/pilates/resistance band training. I bought this awesome special black resistance band for myself for Fathers day. I'm staying away from free weights until fall/winter.

And even better, I wore my skinnypants all week! So 4" off the waistline in 10 mos. I think we can officially declare the post surgery weight gain extinct!
 
Nope, no special plans for the one yr anniversary. Just another glorious day without hip pain!
I'll be babysitting my granddaughter so maybe a nice walk will be on the agenda.
Hubs will be out of town fishing so maybe we can celebrate on the weekend after he gets back home.
My one yr appt is on the 28th so I'm anxious for that!

While I miss "the group" we were recovering with, nothing makes me happier than to realize we're living life, without pain! I know how you missed your bike and taking care of your yard, yourself. All possible now.

Your happiness comes through. It's heartwarming. May it long continue!
@dougie0216
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom