THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Yay! So glad you got your first ride in! Awesome that your hips were happy too! There's no TKD on Monday due to the holiday, so I plan on a Tuesday night class.
 
Hi @dougie0216 ,
Congratulations for your first bike ride. The dreaded derailleur! I've had that experience, too. It doesn't work the way it should. I don't trust myself to do any repairs or adustments, except mend punctures or change tubes - not to adjust derailleurs or brakes or something. I take my bike to a bike repair shop to be serviced (maybe I'll try to do it when I retire).
Your bike looks super. Is it a carbon bike. And don't worry - you may take a year until you reach your cardio fitness and speed you had during the time before the hip replacement. Well - I took that long. I also agree with you about concentrating on increasing distance rather than speed at first. I'm rather a slow coach. But I can ride distances of over 100 km.
Keep up the good work and enjoy your cycling
Constanze
 
That's great @dougie0216 to be back on the bike. And it sounds like you got a great deal. I bought a mountain bike new almost a year ago and not to sure if I'll be able to get back on it befor the snow flies. But who knows.
 
Good afternoon! I went on a morning bike ride and ran into some hills:thumb:
Whereas on Friday I took it easy, today I was in attack mode. I was able to elevate my HR to 175bpm which is about 96% of max for me. I went 10mi/16k and with all the hills I was done, all I had. Had I chosen a less hilly route, I could have gone a little further.
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
No Pain, woo hoo!
 
@Constanze I am genetically predisposed to avoid bike repair shops. I still use center-pull brakes. I don't know how to work on discs, yet.
When I was a kid, our garage was the neighborhood bike repair shop. I actually enjoy maintaining bikes, mainly because I know I am saving money I can use to buy kit.
I ordered winter claw-type gloves yesterday. It is always so windy here in the winter. I can't count the times I have cut rides short because of numb fingers.

The CAAD 10 is all aluminum. It is upgradable, there are carbon forks that fit that model. But it has good mojo so I don't want to alter it.
In a year or so I will look to get something a kilo or two lighter. It isn't bad, it is 19 pounds without pedals.
I really didn't want to invest the money in carbon when I knew I had another hip surgery upcoming.
My out-of-pocket expense for surgery and et cetera would have bought a carbon bike...
Slow and steady means you will be there at the end.
 
Go Dougie....there's no stopping you now!
You've had a great recovery, it's been fun to follow.
Hope you had a great holiday weekend. We just finished grilling awile ago here.
Now it's time for a little BS catch-up, then some dishes, ugh! Still didn't get the paper plates and Solo cups.
A great week to you!
@dougie0216
 
Hi @dougie0216 I havent been on much lately, been busy busy but have been on now reading your updates. im very impressed with your progress. The picture of you and your granddaughter is adorable. My OS said I am not to pick my granddaughter up, not sure when I can but he said to admire from a distance. Maybe its because my surgery was complex as he said but I will inquire again in November when I see him again. Your bike looks awesome and it sounds like you got a sweet deal on it. My brothers name is also Doug, some of his friends call him Doogles. Keep up the great work. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Doug - congrats on getting back on the new bike. I saw you mention the HH100 in some of your posts. Are you planning on riding it in 2018?
 
Hello, what an insane week. 4-days to do 5-days work.

@a0167913 Yes, a group I ride with have all committed to training for and riding the Metric Century at HnH in 2018. They are already riding 40-50 mile training rides or races right now. I have some catching up to do. Fortunately I have 11-months. It is all I have to average 12mph right now... Gotta be faster than that lol. I'm not sitting in a saddle for 5-hours. As soon as I can ride 20 miles, I will be joining them on Saturday mornings. There is a hilly 19-mile route in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge they ride on Saturdays. It is a social hour for them, that would kill me at present. I'm thinking October...

I'm back at close to 100%. This morning I got up and rode my bike. My lawn tractor that sat all summer would not start yesterday so I had to drain the gas tank after my ride. Yes some siphoning was involved, the taste of gasoline is overrated. I had to go get more gas and some methanol to help remove any H20 in the fuel system. I pulled weeds while the fuel system aired out then watched a football game and ate junk food. Then I gassed the mower up and it started so I mowed the lawn. Then I helped my wife with the laundry.
No pain. I have to get up at five something tomorrow and drive 70-miles to be at a board meeting at 8am.
I would say life is back to normal.
Woo Hoo!
 
Geez, that is so great! I wish I could say the same. Although I have come a long way, and most importantly, I have been back up on my horse, briefly, 3 times, I still continue to be plagued by a pronounced limp, and intermittent thigh pain. No hip pain, though, so that it a definite improvement! This too shall pass!
 
Hi @dougie0216
Was wondering where you've been.....sounds like you're doing great!
Not surprising though...
Wishing you safe bike riding and a great week!
 
Hey Dougie that is a great report! You're doing swell and isn't that the bee's knees! I'm good too...
 
@gwenc Hello. Don't get discouraged. We are about a week apart and I notice that certain activities seem to cause my muscles/tendons to tighten up. I still have tightness at times in my left quad so I've started some of my strengthening exercise again and ice if needed. Seems to help! Take care...Rita
 
Happy Monday everyone. Just checking in. Life is still good. Hip slightly unhappy about bike ride on Saturday and long drive on a bumpy concrete turnpike on Sunday. Not bad pain or anything, just a subtle reminder I had joint replacement surgery recently. I'm taking tonight off. Watching baseball on tv and eating ice cream. I can burn calories tomorrow.
I'm awaiting word from @Old Rocker as to whether he had his other hip replacement today. He had it scheduled on 9/11 in Tampa during hurricane season. What could go wrong?
 
@dougie0216 I wanted to label your post as funny, except it really wasn't... I hope they retire both Harvey and Irma as names!

I was reading your totally astounding bike posts-- if I had had that kind of cardio capacity when I was TWENTY I'd have stunned myself. You are definitely made for distances at speed!

I am also taking the evening off, after a much more sedate version of what you've done. I've gone flat out active for I think 4 or 5 days now, very little sitting down except in the car, not sleeping enough or well, and after I finished shopping the last shop for son who just moved into his first apartment, I have come home and put my feet up, wiped out. What hurts is.....the right S-I joint and the right piriformis :gaah: The left hip is happy except when it thinks about getting in and out of the car even one more time. That does it to me, and I've done way too much of it today.

Keep up the happy schedule! Fund raising just around the corner.... :wink:
 
Hi @dougie0216 ,
How is your cycling getting on? I went on an 180 Km cycling ride up the river Main and the river Rhein and home on Tuesday. My husband told me off because I was so late. But I held out longer than my TomTom sportswatch. Its battery was flat at Km 168. I was not exhausted at all and didn't even have muscle soreness the next day. This new hip really is a miracle.

180 km is Ironman distance. I tried to do a full Ironman in 2014 but dropped out at km 90 because my cyling speed was a few minutes too slow (swimming went ok). But in June next year, I just want to do half an Ironman, so I'll only have to cycle 90 Km not 180. But my cycle speed must improve - I'm still too slow. My swimming and running speeds are ok.

If you are planning on a cycle race, I'll be very happy if you reported about it here on Bonesmart - Happy cycling.
Constanze
 
Hey dougie...glad you are doing well.
Glad you are able to again enjoy your passion.
Hope your week has been uneventful.
Can't wait for Friday
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom