THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Happy Day 69. I was going to check in last night but the internet was down. After work, something possessed me to go for a walk. So, I walked 3.57km/2.2mi and it felt good. So yesterday I did 13 flights of stairs and walked two miles. Something else, when I went to bed, I realized I did not need ice. I forgot to ice, because my body did not tell me I needed to. I slept all night without interruption.
That is awesome. So my personal unscientific recovery estimate is now 90%. I see my bicycle every morning and every night. It is about time to put it on the stand/vise and tune it up. I can ride again in 23-days
 
Good morning @dougie0216
We're all a work in progress, traveling in the same direction, to the same destination. Some slower than others.
It all takes time to work itself out.
You've always inspired me and have done phenomenally well in my opinion......keep up the good work!
Have a great Wednesday!
 
I know what you mean about turning @dougie0216... It doesn't hurt, but it feels awkward.

I managed a full set of 13 steps up the other day. Got tough by the end, but I did it. Needed to really grip the arm rail to maintain balance and not get lopsided. Going down is.... easier. But that's scary too because muscle memory has kicked in on more than one occasion. I wasn't planning to lead down with the good leg and then all of a sudden, I did- awkwardly. Didn't go BOOM (as @Mojo333 would say), but I was startled.

You are doing great, even if you don't do "gradual" well. Have a great day.
 
Happy Day 70! Ten weeks today.

OK, do we have any amateur shrinks here? Last night I dreamed I broke my hip. I was on a trip and they made a temporary splint but let me continue to walk. The splint kept falling off.
I woke up in a sweat, and my incision was hurting and the front of my leg was swollen. I took a tramadol and it took me forever to get back to sleep. I did ice for two hours after dinner last night. So something definitely upset some tissue somewhere. I did drive home on the concrete freeway instead of taking the longer, slower paved route home. I felt great yesterday morning...

I took a sick day. I am chilling and elevating. I will cut back on doing unnecessary stairs. Although I'm not sure if was the stairs, the undies I wore yesterday were definitely too tight around the right side.
Anyway, not quite what I expected for today.
So the ten steps forward, one step-back pattern continues.
Expecting a recovery without adversity is delusional anyway.
Since my wife and I are both recovering from joint replacements, we are going to take four days for our trip to our granddaughter's birthday next weekend. Every bit of common sense I have is telling me not to go, but it is our only granddaughter...
 
hoo boy @dougie0216 that's some dream. I wonder if you wrenched your leg somehow in your sleep? I mean, I can see the concrete being more riddled with potholes and thus bumpy-- but I expect whatever it is, it's random. You are making the right choice, chillin' and all. I am actually having a similar day on the 3 week-iversary LOL. But here's my dream-- three times, I had a snippet dream, full and glorious color, that far away across a field, a swarm of hornets was chasing my fat cat, who was running like he was 9 months old, his flabbadabbah belley swinging under him. The second and third dreams there were three swarms, the following two chasing the hornets, and the third dream there were three cats, two of them mine. So. Think we have a lunar-cycle dream thing going?

That's a hard call to make on the birthday party. What would your kids say if BOTH their parents messed up on a road trip? OTOH, if you have a comfy bed in your stopover places, and you break every couple of hours for half an hour, .... you've already done all this in your head 17 times, haven't you? Sorry...:smile2:

I have to ask you more about that Swan pose-- this:
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right
is what I was reacting with (my OS's PA's) horror to. That's my dislocation-risk position, with the back leg so extended. Is this what you're talking about? I look at the front leg, and I think, wow that would feel soooooo good were I able to do it. But the back leg, not happening ,on purpose anyway LOL. There was a brief period in my life, maybe 6 years, when I could do a split, turned out, on both sides. But it took me hours of teenage pain and agony to gain it, and I lost it at about age 17 or 18.
 
After work, something possessed me to go for a walk. So, I walked 3.57km/2.2mi and it felt good. So yesterday I did 13 flights of stairs and walked two miles.
What you did was this. If you are working and doing all those stairs you do not need to stress that new hip going for additional walks. Icing and elevating to ensure you don't have swelling is proactive. EASE into your return to work.
 
Sweetie you're way overdoing it. I got chewed out for that but you make me look like a snail. Cut all the steps and for a while maybe just cut back to a 2 mile walk. :dancy: mega step walker that smile face
 
Happy Day 71! Just stopping by. I worked all day and we have a friends birthday celebration to go to at 730p. Everything is 25-miles from where we live, so I drove home from work to ice for an hour, then it will be time to get dressed and go party. Tomorrow see are going to OKC to shop.

I appreciate the advice. I have been able to keep my cardio fitness throughout recovery, I don't want too lose it. I think I am genetically predisposed to overdo stuff.
 
Happy Day 72! We are off to shop. The main reason we are driving to OKC in what will effectively be a flood, is a pair of dress shoes I ordered is in. You can't walk into most shoe stores and pick a pair of 13 AA's off the shelf. I love me some Allen Edmonds.
At 6'4" (1.93m) I can't buy anything off the shelf unless it is an xxl t-shirt. Fortunately there is also a store at an outlet mall in okc that stocks XLT shirts occasionally. I get most of my clothes online. No one stocks 36" inseams in slacks.

Party was Fun last nite. Two of my double hippy brothers were there. Back in 2013, we all had hips replaced within 3-weeks of each other. Same surgeon. We had a hippy party and accepted donations of used medical equipment.

At that party, a dear friend gave me stool softeners in a box of Godiva chocolates. Tough crowd. I'm about the youngest of the bunch, for some reason they let my wife and I in the club.
 
Day 72 continued, we made it back safely. It rained all day. 1 .6" or 4 cm here at the house.
We drove 170mi, and visited 2 restaurants, two warehouse stores, a shoe store and a hardware store.
After we got home, I replaced the lights in a ceiling fan and one of our outside lights. Yes, I used a step stool and a ladder and DW was there to make sure I did not topple.
Only minor swelling, no more so than most
evenings.
I don't know what was up with the pain and swelling on Thursday. It is gone and hasn't come back.
If this rain stays away in the am I will go for a walk. I'm working-out, inside or out.

One group of my bike riding buddies was at the soiree last night. They are riding a 50mi race on 26 Aug.
We are making plans for 2018. I am going to enlist a couple of other friends/relatives and we will group ride the metric century-100k/62mi at the Hotter-n-He'll 100. It is one of the 3 largest sanctioned bicycle races in the US. Last year I rode with 16,000 others. We will stick together until the final rest stop. Then if you feel froggy you can jump.
Training starts for me in 20 days when I can get back on my bicycle:happydance:
 
Happy Day 73! I was finally able to sleep on my right side last night.
I had so much work around the house that I had postponed because of pain/surgery I decided to do those tasks in lieu of a workout today. It is so humid here after all the rain even simply walking outdoor makes the sweat flow.
I straightened the attic. I had been piling items at the top off the attic stairs for months so today I put everything back where it belonged.
Next I put the extension ladder on the side of the house a replaced the security lamp bulb which is 19-feet up on the side of the house.
Next I put 100-pounds of rock salt in the water softener.
Then I hung the wall hanging my wife bought yesterday over the tub in the master bath.
I also went and filled the 5gal water bottle for the water cooler.
I am stoked that I can climb ladders and attic stairs. I had to go up and down kind of sideways for the past year because I could not bend my right leg straight up at the hip.
Back to work for 4-days tomorrow. Friday we go on our first big trip since both of us had our respective joint replacements.
Life is almost back to normal.
 
Ladders and 100lb bags......does your wife put up a fuss, He-Man, or just realize it's a lost cause?
At times I'm in awe and motivated by you and other times you just plain scare me.....especially with the ladder.
Be careful @dougie0216
I've read dislocation is extremely painful. I'm sure you have too.
A great week to you!
 
Don't bother Layla. He is a freak of nature I tell you. I worry about him all the time...gets me nowhere.
Love ya lots Dougie but I want to put a warning on newbies threads...Warning...don't do anything Dougie does...ever.
:loveshwr:
 
Yes.......And he needs to behave so he's able to go bye-bye in the car next weekend!
He's got a big trip ahead of him.
 
Yep @dougie0216 yu don't want to be in pain and agony for that birthday party, now do you? Life may be back to normal, but your hip isn't, even if it's behaving really well.

Seriously, it really sounds like you are doing very very well. Good times make for faster healing, I believe!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom