THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Happy day 29 everyone, and it's Friday I don't know how much more of this excitement I can take.
I noticed some edema down by my ankle this afternoon, so I pulled out the TED hose.
I got up as 0715, and by 0730, I was working from home. I took a break at 1015 to go walk a mile and do some PT. I worked a little more after I returned.
I did some work around the house and decided I needed a shower. When I was drying off, i noticed some edema around my right ankle. Full stop.
So I pulled out the TED hose and compression shorts. I am feeling very snug:yes:
I have icepacks I am moving all around my incision and upper leg.
I feel great, I took 1/2 tramadol before my walk, and aside from some Arthrotec and my aspirin, that's all I've taken.
I am currently pain free. I will stay iced , elevated and compressed until the pizza fairy arrives around 530.
I hope to finish stringing some guitars tonight and look forward to making some noise. I got the strings off last night, then mental shutdown engaged.
I have noticed after surgery, negotiating with my brain does little good. If I want to awake in bed as opposed to wherever I was, I best get to bed, right then.
Unless I've had hydrocodone, that makes me hyper. One of the reasons I wanted off that stuff is it keeps me awake at night.
All good in Oklahoma, excerpt for the weather forecast, severe weather is expected after 4pm.
 
Good for you for being proactive! I hate the Ted hose, but they work wonders. Oxy makes me feel the same way-wired! I was just telling a friend that my sleep is still not totally normal, so I'm guessing your naps are a pretty normal part of recovery. I hope the pizza fairy was good to you, and the music awesome.
Michele
 
Today is Day30! One more nth,Woo Hoo:egypdance:

I went shopping with my wife. We did a couple of stores and finished off with burgers.
Yes I was hurting by the end, but I knew that would happen.
I could feel the swelling on the bumpy concrete turnpike on the way home.
We came home, I took a tramadol, my NSAID of choice, started the IceMan, elevated my feet and I am watching the Tour de France opening stage on DVR.
I have my alarms set for the next three weeks to get up and watch live. Hopefully three weeks of getting up early will prepare me too return to work on 8/1. And hopefully I will be back on my bicycle 9/1!!!
 
Five words or is it four: Day 31 Back Spasms:blackcloud:

I'm a tall old guy, so I'm no stranger to back spasms. So I went for a leisurely walk to warm up then came home and hit the mat. I have had back issues off and on since my 20's so I know the drill. I am putting off cookies until tomorrow

My back side must be confused, I have a heating pad on the left side and ice on the right. So working on the back and staying on top of any swelling on the right is what I'm doing today.

I did feed the birds. Since our cats are indoor cats, the bird feeders are like Cat TV. We have three seed feeders, two bird bell holders and one mealworm feeder. Our neighborhood birds are like our cats, fat and happy.
 
Oh, dear! Rest up and ice. The cookies will wait until you are feeling better. I loved your images regarding the cats/birds. I'm guessing it's entertaining for you as well. Feel better soon!
 
@Cisne I have lots of visions of cats. As a matter of fact, most of the time I ice and elevate I also see this:
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

This is Sushi, she thinks we exist for her. Oh, how nice, daddy put a pillow on his lap and chest for me to sit on.
More like I put a pillow over my boo-boo to keep her from walking on it so she could get on my chest...
My back loosened up last night. I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. The white-chocolate macadamia nut with cranberry and blueberry cookie dough is in fridge.
I went too to the couch to rest, ice and elevate and Sushi showed up.
Home health nurse was here earlier, all is good. That being said they won't release me from care until the last week in July.
 
Sushi DOES look like she has an attitude in that pic.
Glad you are resting...for a change!!
Glad you are doing well...
 
Sushi is beautiful! And, what do you mean you don't exist for her? Silly human! Remind me again what is in the red, white and blue cookies. I'm debating a little baking later this week. I'm glad your back is on the mend. Awesome that you got a good report w the home health nurse. You didn't bribe her with cookies did you? I'm feeling better and better and thus am finding it hard to remember that it's only been 4 weeks. I got a little reminder from the PT today. I'm pretty sure she thinks that returning to Tae Kwon Do is crazy, but my Dr is fine w it.
 
@Cisne I'm already doing yoga poses, so why not martial arts. You go girl.
I use the nestle toll house cookie recipe. Instead of the full cup of nuts, I use a half cup chopped macadamia nuts, and a 1/4 cup ea of dried blueberries and cranberries instead of pecans. I also have a couple of other hacks, to make them appear lighter, I use a 2 to 1 ratio of white sugar to brown sugar. I also use half bread flour and half AP flour to give them a better chew. And I also use half shortening and half butter. It makes them softer.
Baking is therapeutic for me. That And I like cookies.
 
Ditto! I think I will take them for a test(taste?) run if that's ok. I wonder how dried cherries would be in place of the cranberries? Will leave out nuts as well, as 15 y/o dear son has a fatal nut allergy to all nuts. Using them would mean more cookies for me, but seems rather cruel. Thanks for the recipe/hacks.
 
Happy Day 33 everyone! And happy Independence Day of you're in the States!

Last night I took cookies to 3-sets of neighbors who were so kind to us during our spring of joint-replacements here at our house.

They were all asking if we had any big plans today? Yeah, well if walking, doing PT and icing is your idea of big plans there I have big plans.

There is a fireworks stand about 3minutes up the road, and we are going to go get some sparklers. But nothing we have to light and run away from!

I did do some chores after PT. I took a small tumble in the yard while using the leaf blower to clean off the floor of the catio. Catio's are an enclosed patio for cats. It was no big deal and no harm no foul. The floor of the ratio is sunken 4" below ground level and my left foot caught as I was working my way around. It didn't hurt anything.

I walked my mile this morning, lifted some weights and caught some rays. Did chores and now I am iced and elevated.

My torturess just texted, she is paying a visit in the morning, no doubt to show me new methods of torture/PT. I'm ready for her.I

I better go tasks a picture of the catio so I can post:smile2:
 
Hi @dougie0216 ,
It seems as if you had a lovely Independence Day! I went swimming in the lake near Langen, the town near Frankfurt/Main where I work. It was the first time this summer that I did 1.5 Km (about a mile) in the lake. The swim is organised by a company that makes wet suits and about 200 people swim together across the lake. There are some canoeists in boats who make sure we're safe, and sometimes some music. It's a fun event.
And today I tried to run 14 km, but had to walk half. Left it until too late and it got too hot in the lunch hour. It's 30°C again (86°F). I may be a bit tired but both my legs are strong and healthy. Keep up your excellent recovery. - Constanze
P.S.: I look forward to seeing your catio pic. Your cat is beautiful. I like cats.
 
He is a pic of the catio @Cisne @Constanze
[Bonesmart.org] Left 2013 - Now the right

It is connected to a window in the master bedroom. There is a doggie door in the window. I used a small cage as the tunnel. We installed several shelves so they can Sun themselves or just hang out. The catio itself is a dog kennel. I used a dremel to cut the opening to attach the tunnel. I sunk it four inches into the ground and used rubber tiles for the floor.

My hip is telling me I had too much fun yesterday. It does not hurt but there is more swelling than yesterday. I am going to be good today. I am currently iced and elevated. PT will be coming by in 30-min. That will be all I do today.
 
Day 34. I was released from PT today. I did 9 sit to stands with my arms/hands crossed across my chest in 30-sec. I also climbed up the attic stairs for her and she said I was released.
I'm still going to do all of my exercises, yoga and weights on a three day rotating schedule and walk every day. On Day 42, since I will no longer be restricted to one mile, I will walk the 1.8 mile loop around our neighborhood. I hope to be up to 3mi/5k by August 1. Swelling will be the determining factor. I am going to walk as far as I can get away with:cool: If I start to swell I will back off.
My return visit with the hospital is July 20. The Home Health nurse will come by on July 28 to determine if I can go back to work on Aug 01.
 
So awesome and SO happy for you! The thought that I could possibly be meeting some of those goals in that short of time feels amazing. I'm still in the recliner a lot other than bathroom trips, showers, meals, short walks around the house. Still feel a bit in prisoner mode. And on Day 8 still using the walker. I have to admit that the days are moving more quickly than I anticipated they would. I have to wait 3 weeks post op (July 18th) for my first doctor visit. No PT or nurse visits in the interim. It still amazes me how doctors vary so much in their treatment protocol. Continued healing to you!
 
Yay! Congrats on graduating from PT! I'm wondering if you will wait til day 42 to up the the miles! I suspect you won'-lol!. Just be good! The catio is awesome, Sushi is a lucky kitty!​
 
Hi @dougie0216 , Thanks for the picture of the catio. It looks really good. And congratulations for being released from physio. May you enjoy whatever sport you feel like doing now if your body permits it (when you listen to it). Today is another hot day (30°C++). But we - the lunch hour running team at my work - will defy the heat and run anyway. I've got a marathon coming up in August. Is it hot where you live at the moment? Have fun! Constanze
 
Back
Top Bottom