Guest viewing is limited

THR Left 2013 - Now the right

Really you know I mean all that with much love... Don't want you to have to go through any more than you gotta...
And you are still looking for workout shorts...!!!! I bet your wife wants to beat you sometimes:biking:
 
OK, I tried to get in the Subaru WRX. If you don't know what one is, look it up on YouTube. You will notice a lot of smiles when the gas-pedal is engaged:smile2:.

It hurt. What a bummer. I can get in. I can push all the pedals. But it was very uncomfortable. It just hurt to sit in. Since it is a car you strap-on, I figured as much.

Oh well, it will still be there in July.
 
I want to mention something near and dear to my heart. Giving.

In my day job, I am the Director of a not-for-profit.
Our entity depends on donations for operating funds.
So does this forum.

Whenever I make an ask, I start by asking a question:
Does ____ improve your quality of life? Where would you turn, if ____ did not exist. How much do you value _____?

If you said yes to the first question, assign a dollar amount and give.
So, dig out the plastic and follow that link.

One of the most important things my parents taught me, was the importance of charitable giving. It makes you feel good.
 
@dougie0216 I hear you on giving. Up till about 1 1/2 years I would donate a lot of time to the church and any where else I could help. I'll be glad to be able to get back to it.
 
Hello hippies! I got up and did my PT. The sticky-strips covering my incision are about to fall off.

I'm watering the backyard in lieu of walking today. It is tropical outside, it is so humid.
Heat index this afternoon is supposed to be >40C/104F. It already feels like 100 / 37 and going outside and moving a sprinkler is a workout in itself. I should have put a sprinkler system in the back yard..

I'm iced and elevated. The ribs are going on the grill later regardless of the heat. My wife is going back to work this week after recovering from a shoulder replacement. So, we are celebrating with food. They told us we Had to eat to recover, right?
 
@Gone again It is better to give than receive, and giving can also mean your time.
I was told one time that leadership consists of three words, "I'll do it. "
 
OK, I tried to get in the Subaru WRX.
Early days my friend. I would wait until at least your 6 weeks mark - if not more. That machine will be there when your new hip is ready.
 
Couldn't agree more re giving @dougie0216. Re food banks, I encourage my family to buy at least one additional item each time they go to a supermarket and put it in the food bank box. It may just be the price of a couple of coffees a week, but can make a huge difference
 
Hey Dougie, how are you? I'm doing great on the tortoise trail. Each day I feel better. I've channeled my drive for incessant self-improvement to being completely manic about watching entire seasons of stoopid sit-coms on Netflix. In between I draw, make maps (a new crazy obsession), send out queries to publishers about a novel I wrote and do my meditation practice (I'm a Buddhist). I still insist that I'm not sufficiently recovered to vacuum but am good for long rambles down the beach. Whenever I feel trapped and restricted by my recovery I recall the crocodile that used to be munching on my hip! My long goal is to walk the Dingle Way a year from September. I know I'll physically be able to do it but financially not so sure!
Just thinking of you - we're having a very cool spring but that suits me right now. Sleep is easier.
 
Just checking in to see how things are going? I did a quick drive to the BMV and back-license needed to be renewed. Getting in and out of the driver's seat didn't feel all that great. I'm definitely not up for a long drive yet, but should be ok to head to and from PT on my own. I'm off the hydrocodone and am sleeping so much better. It's hard to believe we are almost 2 and a half weeks out! Hope things are going well.
 
What a good weekend and Monday. I cooked a bunch of ribs Saturday, so yesterday we had some great leftovers. Aside from PT and eating leftovers, I did nothing! I did answers texts and return happy father's day calls.
My pain level has plummeted. I wish the swelling would be gone...but I know it will eventually. I could probably be less aggressive with respect to pt, but I am not going above or beyond anything the therapist has shown me how to do. I could probably do less reps in each set...
Since I have been in training for different objectives or events since I was 14, turning off that drive is difficult to do.
I am thinking the hydrocodone will be an 'as necessary' item by the end of the week.
I know that I have a bad day or two left in my recovery. That's alright. I'll save the pills for when I actually need them.
All good here, no complaints except some swelling.
 
Happy Tuesday, day 19 after surgery. I have no complaints. The physical therapist just came by. She checked my balance, e.g. standing on one leg
I have been practicing:smile2:
I was able to balance for 60-seconds on my right leg.
Next we did chair to stands, which is a lot like squats. I chose a shorter, wooden, straight-backed chair for that exercise. I could stand up 4 times without cheating (using a hand.) If I had used the dining rooms chairs I could have possibly done more because they are about 3" taller . However they have padded seats, and my hip does not like most padded seats yet.
We finished off with her showing me a yoga pose. You start on your hand and knees, then you put both the opposite arm and leg straight out. I have a new pose to perfect, those aren't easy for me.
So, all good in Oklahoma on day 19.
I have some new exercises to do.
Oh yeah, aside from my short walk and those exercises, today is an off day.
One more thing, I had a craving for a frozen confection last night, so my wife drive me to sonic. I am not a very good 'home-bound' person. The walls were closing in last night. Anyway, My hip did not like being in the car last night, one bit. I had thought about going somewhere for dinner tonight... I'm putting that on hold till next week. I will stay home and play guitar, watch tv and ice my hip.
 
Happy day 20 and first day of summer in the N Hemisphere.
Feeling good today. Walked a half mile and then came home and worked my shoulders and cheese with light weights.
I sprayed a wasp nest that was built in front of the third garage door. I had to move fast after spraying. No issues, but they is a definite deficit in lateral movement...
The swelling is down to almost nil, and that is weonderful. That being said I am still icing and elevating several hours daily. Swelling=Pain
I still had swelling into the fourth month last time, especially after going back to work and sitting in my office chair. I am going to take a couple of ice packs too work jic when I go back in Aug.I

I will do my other PT around 4pm. Home health nurse and therapist are just a about done with me.

I will be completely unattended tomorrow, My wife has to go back to work after shoulder replacement surgery. Let's all observe a moment of silence for her:heehee:
 
Three weeks today!
I could not get to sleep last night so I got up and binge-watched River Monsters on dvr at 0230.
My co workers brought by some invoices and etc for me to sign around 10 am.
I somehow managed to sweep the floor, pull weeds and water the back yard. I caught a nap Then I walked and did PT. We went out for a celebratory dinner. It is trash day so I collected and took out the trash. I am currently doing laundry and still binge -watching River Monsters.
Swelling is minimal and I only experience slight pain after PT with the slight swelling.
I was walking in the am and doing PT in the afternoon because I did not have the energy or desire to do it all at once. That changed today. It felt good.
I took a flexeril about 90-minutes ago. No pain pill. Going to try it. I am sufficiently tired I don't think slight pain will affect my sleep.
I feel tired and happy.
About time.
 
Day 22. I woke up today and I do not need a pain pill!. I do have some muscle soreness from PT, but Tylenol will work on that. So that is what I took.
I am at 20-hours since a pain pill and I just don't need one. There has only been a handful of days since 2011 where I did not need at least a tramadol. I still have some of those so if I need something tonight I may take a half of one of those.

I went to the back yard last night to turn off a sprinkler. The faucet is on the corner of the house. As I was turning off the faucet, I looked up and I was 10-feet away from a Skunk!
I turned the faucet really fast said 'Hello Mr Skunk please don't ___ spray me!!!'
I backed out of there really fast, turned and jogged to the back door. I did not once think about my hip. :wow:,
Virtually no swelling this am. Yes, the incision and area around it hurt somewhat, but that is it. There is a small area where the skin has no feeling.
With the LTHR, it was three-months before I was at this point. I think my attitude is better this time so I can't discount that as a factor. It is sunny and hot, last time it was cloudy, snowy and cold. If I need an additional joint replaced in the future, I will wait for summer!!!
 
Wow! You are amazing! I'm definitely not ready to run or jog in any way! I tried Tylenol this AM and am not quite ready for to transition, which is an issue as I'm down to three Tramadol. I need to call the drs office for another script, but somehow feel that needing them is failure. How has your wife's return to work been?
All the best,
Michele
 
I did it right by his am. I slept in:heehee:
I rolled out of bed at ten, put on my walking shoes/clothes and went out and walked a mile.
I came back, went to my makeshift gym in the garage and worked on my guns:rotfl:

I'm tall and slender, the only guns I have I use for deer season.

After arms, I came in and used the resistance bands, did my crunches/stretches and finished balancing on each leg, 30-seconds-twice.

I finished off with gatorade, straight peanut butter and peanut butter crackers. Muscles need protein.

I am currently iced and elevated. I have not had an opioid in two days. I am back to reality! I HATE those pills. I did take 1/2 a tramadol after working out yesterday and did same today.

Feeling kind of manic which is what happens when the endorphins get flowing. I worked out (including walking) 1:26 yesterday and 39-minutes today. I was in aerobic territory most of that time.

We are headed to town. There are actually two towns. There is the quaint little farming community 3-miles away and an actual town 22-miles away.

We need a flower pot for this wonderful plant the university president sent me after surgery. I NEED to go see people, the walls have closed in on me. I am taking my cane for insurance purposes.

Ciao and peace out.
 
Back
Top Bottom