Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

Happy one week anniversary to your mom @Layla! I hope that her pain is decreasing and mobility increasing. Can you see improvements yet?

How are you and your sister holding up? I hope it’s getting better for all of you. Hopefully you’ll all be having a chuckle about this soon.
 
I totally understand what you are going through. That generation is tough lot and will do things their way. Keep reminding yourself first two weeks are the hardest. Although it sounds like your mom is more mobile than mine was.

One day at a time. This will pass
 
Hi Ya'll
Here we are one week to the day of my 81 yr old moms second THR.
In a nutshell she's doing well. Spent her first overnight alone last evening.
She is using the walker but moving around places like her kitchen without it,
Walks along the counter, to the table, always leaning or holding on to something.....I hope :fingersx:

@zinnia she insists on walking in the TEDS (sans slippers or skid free socks) maintains she's very careful.
She was originally scheduled to see her OS's PA this Thursday (9 days post op) but due to an office scheduling conlflict they backed her off until April 2, the day after Easter and 13 days post op. She plans to call the office of the OS in two days to see if she can ditch the TEDS. I'm hoping they allow it so we can quit worrying about her slipping / falling. I LOVE "80 is the new 60.” I think for you, my mom and Canucklady it is!!

I had posterior, which my mom had for her first. She had anterior this time and I asked today what she prefers so far. She said she doesn't know yet, jury's still out.

@AJinNH You're right....there will be no relinquishing of control. My mom is very stubborn and extremely independent. I haven't seen her since Sunday but she claims her pain is very tolerable and she's getting around well. My sisters and I are holding up since my mom is doing really well. Thanks for caring!

@hikejunkie Loved your story about your mom. Read it twice, cute! I guess the older we get the more set in our ways we become. Your description made me chuckle.

@SaraK I do tell her she's doing well. No denying it I guess. I think the stories of my mom, Zinnia, Canucklady show us all that this can be done with a favorable result at age 80+ These are strong women! I'm sure I'll have my second done before 80, probably before 65, but for those of us who may need a revision one day. It can be done and think of the advances they'll make by the time many of us turn 80. It truly is amazing and I never lose sight that each of us was blessed with a second chance!

@hipster333 Thanks for prayers and hugs!
@MammaT My mom is taking aspirin as a blood thinner. She was instructed to take 2 per day until 6 days post
op then go down to 1 per day. I think we're on that program until she sees the PA in 6 days.

@gillycat11 She says she's not using her walker overnight any longer. Her bathroom is about 10 ft from her bed and she uses the wall for support. What are ya gonna do? :shrug: I can only hope she doesn't slip with the darned TEDS. I'll cheer the day she can lose them so the slipping / falling chances drop!

@Canucklady Thanks for checking in....you're very kind. You know these feelings first hand, just experiencing it all yourself. I guess we were blessed with strong women as role models. I hope your mom is doing well.

A great rest of the week to all and a Happy Easter!
 
@Layla Glad to hear your mom is doing well aside from being stubborn :heehee: I can imagine the stress of worrying about her. I'm sending prayers and hugs your way! :roseshwr::friends:
 
Good update on your mom @Layla. We can only do so much for them. I had one of those strong, independent moms and sometimes we just have to let them make their choices (just like they did with us!).

I do hope through all of this you are taking care of yourself. You are still within that first year post surgery window!
 
Good to hear your mum's on the mend but it's about time we were hearing how you are doing or you'll have to rename your thread @Layla's mum's Recovery. I hope the fact that you aren't mentioning yourself is because you are doing ok. You have to remember you too had replacement surgery too and if you need, deserve the support that you so selflessly give to everyone else on the forum.
However I can't help having a little smile when you speak about your mum's little stubborn side- sounds a lot like my mum who'll be 88 in June, has had both knees replaced, diabetes, angina and high blood pressure. She has had numerous falls but you!ll still catch her tottering off to the kitchen or bathroom without sticks or walker, simply "because she can!"
Wishing you a Happy Easter.
 
I’m glad to hear your mom is doing so well @Layla . As frustrating as she can be to you, at least it is frustrating in a positive way if that makes sense. She is doing things on her own and getting along well (that is as long as she doesn’t fall). It might be more frustrating if she was slower to respond and was more needy. It sounds like once she has the PA visit behind her, she will be fine alone most of the time. I found it interesting to read all the responses/suggestions, especially the one from @zinnia . She is another tough lady just as your mom is. I’m sending happy healing thoughts your way for both you and your mom. Happy Easter to you both! :flwrysmile::loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
No worries, I'm taking care of myself in the midst of all @MammaT and @MyAussieGirl
I'm doing well @gillycat11 Thank You! I appreciate your care and concern. Your mom sounds a lot like mine.
A strong will and mind of her own.

You're right @GrannyC. I may find it more frustrating if she wasn't doing things for herself
that I felt she was capable of.

Well today is Day 9 and she is no longer using an assistive device. She maintains she's practicing extreme caution but feels more sure footed on her own.....huh?! What am I to do? This is SaraK's mother....I just know they were separated at SaraK's birth. Only @SaraK can understand her!

She said she ripped the TEDS off in bed last night and she's done with them. Maintains no one will convince her to put them on again. Her words "So glad I'm done with those!" Me: Ugh! Said the same about the last Celebrex she's taking today. She's down to one aspirin a day.

When I checked with her this morning, she'd been out to the garage with her trash and was washing dishes
in the sink and unloading her dishwasher. I just know the car is next. I just want to make it to her appointment on Monday. I know she will, it's me I'm concerned about :rotfl: Calgon t-a-k-e m-e a-w-a-y!

There's a TKR in her near future also. I may be on a loooong vacay when the time comes. Not for relaxation,
but to keep my sanity.

Happy Easter to All!
 
I'm just glad "my mom" is doing so well! With respect to the TEDs, she hasn't done anything you haven't chuckled about when it was someone other than your mom (@Mojo333 I'm looking at you). Ok, maybe she's not using the cane anymore - you could check with OS if they are concerned about it but my guess is it depends on how well she's walking. Is she limping? If so, maybe you could do a session with a physical therapist so there is someone other than you telling her to use it and giving her the reason why.

When it's time for the TKR, you have a few options - go on vacation, take copious amounts of Valium, physically sit on her or get those restraints I mentioned!:rotfl:

In the meantime, my message for Mom is "You go, girl!":rofsign:
 
Sometimes @Layla all we can do is pray for them and love them (and some days from a distance!). My moms approach was she was always the super patient and she was going to do stuff until she couldn’t go anymore.

My goal is to be around long enough for my kids to have same frustrations towards me!
 
Hi @Layla I’m one day ahead of your mom and feel as though I could walk without assistance as well. I’ve ‘accidentally’ taken a few steps here or there and feel totally normal. I mentioned it to PT yesterday and they advised against going solo this early while I’m still healing because it may lead to a limp. But I totally understand how she feels. Also, considering how mobile your mom is, try not to worry too much about the Teds. My OS even said I could start driving 2 weeks postop as long as I’m off pain meds, that’s just 4 days from now.

Good luck, I’m rooting for you both. :friends:
 
Unless your long vacation's an around the world trip, I don't think you will be able to avoid the TKR. Possibly time to practice relaxation, breathing deeply and counting to 10 in readiness???
Failing that, I think @SaraK's Valium idea's a realistic alternative to copious quantities of booze. :rotfl:
 
@Layla
I'm sending up prayer for you and your dear mom. Putting an order in for a couple more guardian angels for her.
Praise the Lord He blessed her with a smooth recovery so far. I'm having faith He will see her through it.

Get her a fold up cane in a tote bag to take with her in the car. Just in case.
A round the neck phone holder to go with her everywhere in case she falls. Just in case.
Ask her what her plans are for driving, never to early to have that conversation. Have that candid convo
with her and her OS together. Maybe a call into his office prior to discuss your concerns would be appropriate?
If she is completely unreasonable about it just steal the car for awhile. Seriously. Call her insurance company and ask about guidelines.

Older people sometimes have a diminished pain threshold (happened with my MIL remarkably-blessing) and by taking charge of her recovery she may be adding to that effect. There have been studies. So let her take charge all she wants but give her the tools she needs in her home to be successful. Extra grab bars. Chairs placed around if she needs a sit.

She sounds like a pistol and a lot like my mom who ended up with multiple dislocations and a brace because she was stubborn. Which is why she needs the cell phone around her neck 24/7. And extra guardian angels.
I don't have my mom any more and we had our issues when she was still living, and I do miss her everyday.
Do not miss that stubborn streak!

Hugs to you.
 
Oh my @Layla, you have quite a stubborn mama! I am sorry for all the stress this is causing you... I would be losing my mind. I will say prayers for patience for you... and for those extra guardian angels that @BeBe ordered up — they’ll have their work cut out for them :heehee:

You can only do so much to try to get her to listen. Take reasonable steps to ensure she’s safe, then put it in God’s hands. Take comfort in the fact that she’s past that rough first week of recovery and seems to be doing really well.

Wishing you a peaceful night.
 
Oh Layla,what a wonderful daughter, she is giving you the run around, she sounds a real toughy, look after yourself and take time out, love to both of youxxx
 
Hope your weekend is sweet Layla.
Hope my dear children are as good to me when I get old and stubborn.
My dad is slowing down a bit...I'm hoping this is a good thing?
I think...be careful what you wish for...
Happy Easter weekend.:) :-) (:
 
Death could not hold Him. The grave could not keep Him.

He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Matthew 28:6

Whatever meaning this day holds for you, may it be happy, peaceful and blessed :loveshwr:
 
Ho @Layla Your mom sounds like a character :heehee: Hope everything goes well at her appointment. Hugs!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom