Guest viewing is limited

THR Layla's Recovery

It was just too fitting, I mean....C'mon! :heehee:
@SaraK
 
Totally agree. Given the context, though, I didn't want to accuse you of having a screw loose. :loll::rotfl:
 
:hi: Hope that foot and knee aren't giving you fits.
Thought I saw you'll get some answers this week.
I certainly hope it's something easily resolved.
Hope you have a great week:) :-) (:
 
Thanks, Mojo!
I'm doing well, can't complain.
I'll find out something this week.
A great week to you too!
 
Hi @Layla. I read you suggested on another thread magnesium glycerate as a sleep aide. Did you take it immediately post surgery or later on. Just curious since last hip sleep was illusion at times but I try to be careful not adding much stuff to what they will be giving me to take right after surgery. Since weather may still be bad in February just trying to have things on hand. Thanks.
 
I’ve been taking magnesium citrate and eating lots of green vegetables for the potassium. Everything I read said we are all Magnesium deficient. And the potassium helps the body use it. Seems it’s involved in a slew of bodily functions. And vary important for the heart. I’ve also read the Magnesium oil is easily absorbed and plan to try some. I wonder how much the body actually absorbs in an Epson salts bath ?
 
Hi @Gone again
It sounds as though you're doing so well! You really seem to have taken an interest in health and wellness.
Not implying you didn't already have the knowledge but seems you're taking a more active role?
I'll bet losing the pain with the two new hips has given you a new lease on life. We're so lucky we had a solution to our pain and problem. It does tend to cause us to pause, with a thankful heart and commitment to care more for the body we've been blessed with. It's always so nice to hear from those we went through recovery with. I hope you're feeling great!

About Citrate vs Glycinate, I've learned through my nutritionist and reading online that Citrate is more rapidly absorbed but in turn can have a laxative effect. Glycinate doesn't. So, if it has that effect on you.....look at supplementing with Glycinate instead.
Magnesium is great for healthy sleeping (falling asleep staying asleep) supports cardiovascular health. Supports muscle relaxation and nerves (leg cramps) also supports healthy blood sugar.

I just read the other day that @Fractured may be using the topical form, I believe recommended by his doctor as it's more readily absorbed.

Epsom salt baths: I've read varying opinions on how much is actually absorbed. I feel like for every positive I read about Epsom Salt baths, I read a negative. I've taken one or two in my life. Some swear by them. It's just one of those things I've not taken an interest in. If anyone cares to sing it's praises, I'm always open to listen and research....

@MammaT - I did not take it (MG) after surgery at all. Since I'm not a medical professional, Staff Disclaimer in red :heehee: I think your doc could best advise on mixing it with any meds you may be taking post op.
 
Last edited:
I started taking magnesium and iron (tablets) in the evening for about two weeks and it seems to have helped with leg muscle soreness...
 
Thanks to all. Will check with surgeon about resuming vitamins in general and this specifically. I just remember the sleep issues and some muscle issues last time. Totally get the staff disclaimer @Layla. Just wasn’t sure if you had personal experience with it post op.
 
Hi @Layla. On some earlier posts in other threads you talked about how great you found body pillow. You were so positive about them I ordered one. It was a great help pre-op. My question is, did you use it soon after surgery? I’m trying to move from recliner to bed and trying best way to use pillows. I know if sleeping on side I should have pillow from knees to foot.
 
Hi @MammaT
I began using it as soon as I started sleeping on my side post op. I can only sleep on one
side due to a sensitive shoulder.....and my op side is the side I have to sleep on.
So....I had to wait until I felt comfortable sleeping on my side before I could use the body pillow again post op. My surgeon used posterior approach so I'm on my incision. I tried to scan my thread to see when I first slept on my side post op but couldn't find it. I think I waited a couple months...at least. I was kind of a fraidy cat about it.

So what I do is lie on my side, pillow lying flat, right next to me. I shove about half the length of pillow between my legs and usually have an arm underneath it and another over top. Mine was only $10 from Target and I love it because, its pliable and squishy but also supportive enough to keep my legs how they should be positioned. If you're comfortable sleeping on your side. It should work great. I fall asleep with it every night and I can't imagine sleeping without it.

Hope this helps!
 
Thanks! I went through your thread looking for tips (found lots, but not that!) it was great pre surgery but somehow looks intimidating now. I can lay on non op side, so it may work. I’m like you, a fraidy cat about some things in the early stages.
 
I was afraid to sleep on my op side after surgery even though I'm a side sleeper.
That's what I was a Fraidy Cat about @AgilityDog Silly....I know!
Took me a couple months......
 
Thanks Layla Makes sense. I have slept a little with a pillow between my legs, on my non-surgical side. My 'favorite' side is the Surgery side. And that Hurts. Immediately. I'm happy I can get some change of positions. I'm even rolling a little bit w/o grabbing the sheets and using upper body strength
 
Hi @Agility Dog
I couldn't get comfortable on my first attempts. It took a couple months to even try and then I eased into it.
It felt strange, not painful, just uncomfortable.

Having some upper body strength sure helps in those early days. I recall in many different instances thinking -
Okay.....now how am I going to do this?
Thankfully it all falls into place.
 
Hi Layla. I’m so glad I finally got a chance to read most of your thread. No wonder you can relate to so much of what we have all been through. You always seem so happy and motivational which I love, but it helped me to read about your frustrations at this stage too. Please keep doing what you’re doing. You are such a blessing on here! :flwrysmile:
 
@hipster333 SAME!! And I'd like to know how I am just finding this thread lol apparently I'm great at navigating Facebook and social media but not so much this forum lol OK that being said have any of you tried the pregnancy body pillows? I made my husband buy me one when I was pregnant with my 1st and I refuse to let it go. Both the pillow and my oldest just turned 11 lol it's like a body pillow but it has some very convenient curves in it easy to keep tucked under your legs while you're sleeping and wrapped under your head so you don't have a sore shoulder.
 
Thank you @hipster333
You are very kind. Your words are much appreciated. Hope you're day is wonderful!

@Mascaramom
I've never tried the pregnancy pillow, my ship has sailed :heehee:
I'm kidding of course. I know you're asking others. I've seen it though and it looks incredible.
Honestly if I'd heard of that pillow before surgery, I think I would have considered it. It looks so comfy.
I may have Jo and Jamie take a look at that and see what they think as a recommendation for recovery items?

I built a pillow fort around myself in bed when I finally got into bed at three weeks post op. I've heard others say the same. A pillow here for support, another there so you don't roll over, another so no one accidentally kicks you etc. That pillow is a great suggestion. I'm glad you brought it up. Thanks!
Hope your day is great!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom