THR Layla's Recovery

@Layla Saturday was the first day where my legs felt strong. Something happened last week. I wish I knew what it was.
My hip has a squeak. It is really high pitched. It does it several times a week, usually when I stand after putting on my socks. I told the OS. It turns out I have ceramic on ceramic. I thought the cup was titanium like the first one, but it is ceramic. He said I was the second person that day to tell him their hip squeaked. He told me he has one patient whose hip squeaks every step. My wife finally heard it this weekend so I'm not crazy.
 
Hi @dougie0216
The squeak is a tracking device so your wife can make sure you're not on ladders or the roof.
You know, typical Dougie things you already attempted early on post op...Lol!

It's great news to hear your legs are feeling strong! You are out living life again,
without that nasty OA pain and that's the best gift ever.
Best Wishes for a great week.....so nice to hear from you!
 
Hello @Layla
The OS repeated 'No Restrictions" to me last week. (He really didn't need to.) I had a function today and I've been wearing dress shoes since seven am. They aren't causing me any pain today, so I guess some form of healing has happened.

If it hurts, I'm not going to do it. However, I do have to put on shoes and socks to go to work, and there is still some discomfort doing that, or picking stuff up off the floor. I have to do those things. It doesn't hurt to ride, or get on and off the bicycle.

We have 'Fall Break' this week, so I plan to ride my bike three out of the four days-off. I need to up my mileage. I also need to ride some hills, on purpose.

The 10 I rode last weekend was easy, so it is time to move up to 15. If I can increase my maximum distance by 5mi/mo, I will be at 60+ by August. Basically, that is increasing the maximum workout by approximately 20min/mo. that sounds doable to me.
 
@Layla I forgot to ask, how is the swelling / pain doing. Has it ever subsided?

I watched the video. It took me 3 sittings to get all-the-way through it. I am not doctor or nurse material. Period. It is hard enough if it is someone else's blood; but mine?:yikes:
 
Hi @dougie0216
Thanks for asking. I still have some residual swelling. It isn't really visible to anyone, I just feel a tightness
or fullness in the back of my knee and on the inside. It doesn't hurt, nor keep me from doing anything. I only notice it when I bend my knee. The OS maintains its can happen and could last up to a year. The only thing that keeps it in the forefront of my mind is that I don't really read about that as a common occurrence on BS. While it's not hindering me, naturally I'd prefer it goes away.

I can't say I'll ever watch that video. My husband advised me not too, as did my dad, both knowing I'd be gagging while up and running! Not my thing. Especially not knowing IF or WHEN my other hip may fail me. I believe I recall your second went quicker than you OS predicted.

I haven't attempted socks yet. I'm a barefoot gal around the house and flip flops as long as the weather allows up here in the frozen tundra. Just started wearing slip on shoes. Because a pedicure, while possible, is by no means easy or comfortable. It may be a time before socks are easy......if ever. I've thought on this a few times and realize that even if it continues to remain a struggle it's worth the trade off in losing that darned OA pain!!!

You sound like you're doing great which is no surprise to me. I'll never forget the days of recovery reading and laughing as I sat in my recliner how you were exercising and lifting weights etc. It got me off my butt more than a few times. Remember, I used to call you my Motivator? Haha!

I hope the weather stays decent enough for you to get your rides in. You'll do great....I have every confidence in that!

A great "Fall Break" from work to you!
 
I wasn't too motivated during the first month back to work. I was doing good half the time to come home and surf the couch. Gradually my endurance came back. I came home today and hit the couch. I can do that with no guilt because my conscience knows I'm riding my bike in the morning.
 
@Layla ive got the same thing going on with my knee on the soon to be RTHR. But not the left replaced side. It's been slightly swollen for some 6 weeks. Befor the THR I watched a bunch of those YouTube videos. No there not for the squeamish. But I need to know how things work and wanted to know exactly what was going to happen.
Incredible what can be done now.
 
Hi@Layla I read one of your posts about feeling sad that the flowers are dying and the weather is turning colder and gloomy. I don't look forward to winter coming either. Many of my little birdie friends left on their fall migration earlier in September. The little wooded area near our home has grown quiet. In about another month I'll put out some suet bird feeders near my window. The birds that hang around over the winter like them and I get to watch them! It's easier to maintain than putting out bird seed. You might enjoy it too!
 
Hi @birder
Yep...I posted that on MAG's thread. It's currently 33 degrees, cloudy with snow accumulation on the ground. It won't last but the temps will hover in the low 40's all next week. Yuk! Time for boots and winter coats.
I'll get used to it, I have no choice, but it's a rude awakening and can drastically change over the course of just a week, which it did!

We had bird feeders in our previous home, not yet here though. It's a good reminder and a great idea. Thank you!

I hope you're doing well at home and at work. I know you had a lot going on with caring for your mom, work and recovery. Hopefully all has settled into place. It's always nice hearing from you, Rita.

Best wishes for a relaxing weekend, hope it's an enjoyable one for you!
 
Sorry on the snow @Layla I hate fall and winter for just these reasons but you and I we will be OK..like you said it's an adjustment. Love you sweetie
 
Aww you're sweet @MyAussieGirl .......love you too :loveshwr:
Hope you had a good Saturday. I went to church with my daughter
and granddaughter. For the last 4 weeks we've been going through the book of James, which I love.
Then we went out for taco's. My grand daughter is sleeping over, we just finished a movie.
So she's off to bed and I'm checking on some peeps on BS.

The snow will melt, its almost gone already but the temps are here to stay.
We'll survive, things could always be worse. Wishing you a great Sunday :flwrysmile:
 
In spite of the snow and cold you made the best of it with a sleep over...I LOVE James too and his teaching on faith without works is dead

I was in the shower thinking on you all blue and decided to do this

When the world is cold
And it often is
I think of you
And I get a big grin

You hang the sun
On sad crummy days
And make a walk in the park
Feel like it's May

Layla's light and kind ways
Brighten my days
But I'll hold off on a swim
Till the middle of June

So ok my poem stinks but I do love you and even I like buying extra clothes for winter.. I bet if we met in person we wouldn't notice the weather ....Hugs in all things be grateful.
 
:hi: Hi @MyAussieGirl
Your poem is precious! You are a sweetie with a big soft heart and that's
why we all love you so. While we've never met and could pass one another on the street
unknowingly, I feel like I know you somewhat. You've brought many a smile to my face over the past 4 months. And some great laughs to boot. Looking back I can't even imagine my recovery without you! I have a special place in my heart for a handful of us who were limping through this craziness together. Asking questions of one another, sharing stories and laughs. It was my entertainment in those early weeks. The memories are ones I'll never forget.
Keep being you.....you're the bestest! :loveshwr:
 
I totally agree with everything @Layla said! She got it all right about @MyAussieGirl !! That is why her thread has so many views and so many responses! She is #1 and we are fortunate enough to be her friends :roseshwr:
 
Aww shucks @Layla and @GrannyC you made me all blush. Now I look like a tube of lipstick.

So I'm at the mall and thought when the crummy weather gets tough the tough get shopping.... Ladies we can rock these boots... I know I can I do wear short skirts..have nice legs...my birthday is coming be up and the price isn't bad.....maybe we all need a pair? @Mojo333 ??
 
Pictures if this works goes with above
[Bonesmart.org] Layla's Recovery
[Bonesmart.org] Layla's Recovery
 
They look like work! My daughter wore a pair the other day, over the knee, with heels and all she did was complain :gaah: The griping was about the heels though.

I'm "over" heels except for a special ocassions. Been there done that. I could run in them in my 20s and 30s if need be. Now I'll put them on, think they look good and wonder HOW did they become so uncomfortable?!
How did the pic of flat heeled boots turn into this :what:

Hope you had a great weekend @MyAussieGirl
Is it this week your start your Epilepsy work? If so, rest up!
You're not even 7 weeks yet. Please don't end up in the you know where....
They don't need any more members :kickedout:
 
Im not big on heels been so long since I've been able to walk in them I'm not gonna start now lol ...Whole month of November is Epilepsy Awareness and education ...thus sorry to be short but at midnight I start ...hugs
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom