THR Layla's Recovery

@Layla i am doing awesome!!! I did outpatient PT FOR ONE WEEK and dropped out!!!! Hahaha I have bad knees and it was just too much..I really needed isolated therapy on my hip...the surgeons office PT Deot called me and agreed I could do my own exercises from home ...u professed well!! I am back on my local school track5x week and in the heated pool at the gym! Thank God the SLEEPING off my back is gone!! This week is 3 months...the golden point to get to...although it Wil take a good year to heal! My knees are bone on bone and I am trying to put those replacements off till next year..I have a new grandbaby..Mia Rose!! U take everyday as a wonderful gift...you never know in this arthritic joint world when the next joint is wearing to the bone...So for now it is bearable!! No regrets..the before hip pain was so painful...I am so happy knowing I will not be dealing with that pain anymore!!!- I hope you are doing good! I will try to get on here more often miss you all!!!
 
Your appointment is coming up soon @Layla ..... I wonder how it's all going as far as grandkids now that school is in?
 
HI @Layla I'm glad you are doing so well. Are you using a cane occasionally or can you stroll about with no limp cane Free? Do you still get a pain in the butt Area? I still do if I sit any length of time or limp around without my cane. I remember you saying you got the same. Though can't complain too much compared to preop. I wish you well and continued progress. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I think I am the pain in the posterior she's felt from time to time :heehee: ,@cpollock .
I know I do not use my cane anymore but have odd pains here and there in my butt too.
Not bad but yes for me. I haven't seen Layla today .... LOVE Ya
 
Aww MAG, you're never a pain in my posterior.
I had a hair appt yesterday, then errands and regular stuff around the house and WHEW the day was gone! I was tired last night and went to bed at 9:00pm. An hour or two earlier than normal for me.
You mentioned my granddaughter now that schools back in session - I see her often enough during the school year that I really don't have time to miss her. She lives within 10 mins of me. I'm thankful for that!

I hope you've been doing well! Wondering how the tummy is doing this time around....I know you mentioned you had a call into the gastro. Hopefully your intestinal tract is holding up so far and your pain is well managed.
It's going to be unseasonably hot here today. In the 90's with extremely high humidity......yuk!!
May be coming your way tomorrow? Our weather seems to hit you a day later.

My appt is next week and I am excited since I've yet to see my OS since I was in the recovery room post op!
That was 12 1/2 weeks ago. Thirteen weeks by the time I see him. I'm hoping for a good report and an answer to the tightness I feel in my knee. If it is something I have to live with for a while......it's still all good! Living without that horrid OA pain is a blessing in itself.
Sending a big hug and wishing you a great day and weekend!
@MyAussieGirl
 
Hi Cheryl, @cpollock
Nice to see your post. I always enjoy hearing from you!
To answer your question....I don't use my cane but I can limp ever so slightly on ocassion if I don't really practice heel-toe walking. I still need to really concentrate on it because it was not the way I walked pre-op. I try to concentrate all the time but especially when I'm away from home, taking more continuous steps than you do when you're just moving about your house.
I still have a bit of residual swelling, adjacent to my knee cap on the inside of my leg. It's barely visible but I can feel the tightness when / if I bend my knee so that will be my first question upon seeing my OS at my 3 month check up next week.

As I recall you went into this with a different progression than me. A different diagnosis also. I believe you suffered longer too. Consequently it makes sense our recovery times would vary considerably. My hope is that you are getting enough quality rest. Between your concerns in regard to your mom and witnessing your husband suffer with RA and his recent flare......it has to be stressful and a big energy drain!
My heart goes out to you, Cheryl.
Hopefully your husbands prescription has kicked in, bringing him some much needed relief, which in return may offer you more relaxation at home. I hope you're able to take care of YOU in all of this.

As for the pain in the butt, haha........yes I can still get it. It's usually if I sit or drive too long. It's a sensation that makes you feel like you're sitting on something, lol! I get lots of weird little sensations though off and on, here and there. Short lived. I attribute it all to the fact that we're really still early in our recoveries. You are only a week ahead of me. I'll bet if we compare notes a year from now, or look back at these posts we'll chuckle!

Don't know if you've tried sitting on a gel pack at work yet. If so.....I hope it helps.
Prayers for continued healing, peace and relaxation at home and a great weekend......Hugs!
 
Today marks 13 weeks since a surgery that's relieved me of pain and gave me back my life.
I am so very thankful!

I met with my OS today for the first time in 3 months. I didn't see him at my 3 week post op.
but was checked by his PA instead. Today I had an x-ray and all appears as it should. I questioned my doctor
on some minor residual swelling in the area of my knee. He's not concerned and said it will dissipate
in time. He moved my hip in different directions, asked some questions, watched me walk and was satisfied
with all. I told him I felt great and asked if my range of motion would continue to improve. He said that it would but it may never be like my natural hip, which I wasn't expecting anyway. He expects that I will only continue to improve over the next months until I see him again at the one year anniversary of my surgery. I told him if this is as good as it gets... I'm just happy to be pain free. I thanked him with a hug.

I'm also thankful for BoneSmart and all the wonderful people I've come to know in some small way. The support
encouragement and comfort available in this forum has been a blessing.
You never know for sure how long you'll stick around here but I do know I will recommend this forum at every opportunity. It's been invaluable to me as I know it is to many. So thanks to all who've encouraged and inspired me along the way....
 
What a fantastic report @Layla !! :wow: Hopefully it has helped minimize your concerns about the swelling. I totally agree with all your thoughts and feelings about the surgery. I feel exactly the same way. I also agree with your feelings about BoneSmart. Unless someone has considered or had surgery and used this site, I don't think they could fully understand. It is just amazing how so many total strangers could be so supportive and encouraging but they sure are.

I was thinking of you today so thank you for sharing the report.
 
Thank You @MyAussieGirl you are a sweetheart.....I was happy today too!
I hope you're feeling well today. How's your tummy been holding out?
Hopefully that sofa is serving you well.....comfy and easy to get up and down from.
I'll bet the daily outings you're going on are helpful. Thinking back
I didn't do enough of that in my early days of recovery. Not only does it help pass
time but allows you to feel part of the world and not so trapped.
Wishing you a relaxing night and restful sleep!



Thank You for thinking of me today @GrannyC You are so kind!
Today's visit did ease the concerns you knew I had.
I am still amazed each day as I move about without that pain!
To actually enjoy the grocery store because I'm not in hurting and hurrying is a new feeling.
To walk without limping makes me thankful. Sometimes I forget what I've just
been through for a short time because I feel normal again. I realize you know the feeling.
Thankful and mindful that Life Is Good!
A great week to you!
 
For anyone unaware and interested there is a story of a 12 yr old girl in the Hip Pre Op
who is undergoing THR today. She is suffering some additional health issues. Her story is heartbreaking
and I'm sure her mom would love the support of encouraging words as her daughter Brynn recovers.

The thread is under the name - Jemma-

If you feel inclined, please stop by her thread to offer up prayers, or kind words of encouragement to give her strength.
 
I just was there. It is heartbreaking to think of such a young child going through so much.
 
I agree @GrannyC
That story just breaks your heart as a mom, as a grandma thinking of a grandchild......I don't see how
anyone could be unaffected in reading about Brynn. Puts things into perspective for sure!
As a parent it has to be heart-wrenching for Jemma watching her
young, innocent daughter withstand so much pain.
I need to make an effort to get over to the pre-op side more often,
lots of encouragement needed over there also.....
 
Thank You! @Miggie
I hope you continue to have a great recovery yourself.
You're coming up on your one month anniversary....that's a milestone!

Hopefully your getting more sleep now and your incision is
healing well after the removal of all of those staples. It still amazes me!

Wishing you a peaceful week of continued healing and restful sleep.
Sending a hug....
 
@Layla So happy for you that your check up was good and you are pain free! I agree it's amazing to walk without limping and to start to feel that life is opening up again. I was walking down a long hallway at the hospital where I work and remembering limping down that hallway the week before my surgery. We still need to be gentle with ourselves and I know everyone's recovery is a little different. Age, general health, support at home/work all play a part. I still do have some left quad weakness and feel very tired at the end of the day but with each passing week get stronger and better. I too am so grateful for all the kindness and support I've received from everyone on this forum. Take care and hope you have a good week!...Rita
 
Hi @birder
Thanks for stopping by and for your well wishes. You're so very kind!
It is amazing losing that awful pain. I find myself doing the same thing you mentioned.
Going into places where I remember I was limping or in pain last time I was there.
I use it as an opportunity to thank God!

We're still early into our recovery. Looks like you're about two weeks further along than I.
As you mentioned all recoveries are different and dependent on so many variables.

If I recall you have a lot on your plate with work and caregiving of your mom.
I hope you're able to get adequate rest and the support you need at home.
As long as we feel continued improvement we should be on our way.
I've heard it can take up to a year, some say even two years to completely recover.
So all in all I think we're doing well.
Sending a hug and wishing you a great week, Rita
 
@Layla Hope that hip is all good and you are still progressing well. Sorry your weekend plans fell through. Mine was tied up with family's health stuff... but (knock wood) my daughter is on mend, my sister is back or of hospital, my Dad is set to have a recorder implanted to his heart but doctor says afib finally resolved...after four procedures...so hopefully can catch up with all my buds. Glad you've been spreading comfort and love in my absence.
You are a soothing voice on this site.
 
Hi @Mojo333
Thank you for the kind words! You've been a fine example, yourself.
I'm still progressing here, sounds as though you are too.
It's good to hear your family's health issues are looking up.
Hopefully you'll be able to catch up on some well deserved rest.
I think a quiet, peaceful and downright boring week is in order Lol!
Best Wishes for a relaxing, restful one :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom