THR Layla's Recovery

@Layla The three month mark for you!!!!
How is that hip (and knee) treating you?
You certainly are not much of a complainer so seems like we just pass each other in posts.
You deserve some TLC too as much as you dispense!
Hope you are having a good weekend.
 
Hi @Mojo333
You are so very kind.
My hip is wonderful, my knee is still mildly swollen and tight.
I'm not in pain, nor does it keep me from doing anything.
It's difficult to complain about anything given some of the sorrow we read here.

I'm coming up on 15 weeks. My OS maintains the swelling
it is within the realm of "normal" and feels it will pass. Both he and his PA
mentioned it can last for a year. I can't say I've read that often on BS.
He said if it's still swollen in early December to come back
and they'll take a look at my knee. He specified, not for surgery
just to look? I don't / didn't have knee problems pre-surgery. The
outside of my knee is still a bit sore to the touch. Personally I feel
he really jacked my knee upon dislocating my hip. But I guess I'll never really know.
Thanks for caring, you're a sweetheart. My weekend's been great so far.....hope yours is too!
 
Hi Peter @PS46
Thanks for your advice. It's much appreciated!
It's nice to hear all sounds well with you.

No, I haven't tried chiropractic since surgery. I did before surgery
in an effort to ward off surgery, haha! Didn't work. I'm certainly not
opposed to it and will give that some consideration along with massage.....possibly?
If you have a moment....was it tightness and swelling in the knee area that you experienced?
Best Wishes for a great week!
 
@Layla My knee on the soon to be replaced right side hip has been swollen for almost a month. Tender on the inside. OS said let's wait and see if the new hip helps the knee. Probably will, he said it's not unusual for the hip to affect the knee. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
 
Thanks @Gone again
Hopefully you're ailing knee will get better after your next surgery.
Let us know when you schedule a surgery date. Hopefully you can
get it over with soon and be feeling like new for the holidays.
Best Wishes to you for a great week!
 
Hi @Layla. I've yet to have the courage to watch a video of how they dislocate one's hip during THR. I can't imagine that tork and twisting is good for the knee. I agree it takes time for the imposed trauma to subside. Hope every day finds you a little better.:flwrysmile:Take Care...Rita
 
Thanks, Rita!
I haven't watched it either. I just can't. My husband did and advised me not to.
However, I did watch a 2 minute animation on YouTube and that was bad enough.
They need to ream out our femur to accommodate the stem and even in animation
the action of the reamer moving in and out with bloody debris on it gagged me.
I had to stop watching. Sorry.....you're probably gagging ang cringing reading this....lol!

They do use the knee for leverage to dislocate the hip. Can you imagine if we could see a video
of our own hip replacement?!! We'd all be crying for our poor ol selves!

Hope your recovery is going well with your busy life....work, home, your mom. You have a full plate.
Wishing you continued recovery and a great week! @birder
 
Hey @Layla I'm with you... I watched a cartoon version and even that put me off!
My knee is so swollen you would have thought I had had knee surgery!
Surgeon told me my operation took 2hours more than usual due to an apparently 'stubborn ' femur so I really do not want to know what went on or indeed see it on film!!!
I suppose it might explain why my knee is so bad! Xxx
:holysheep:
 
I watched animated version also. Only benefit for me was, oh my stars, let's give this thing TIME to get well. I assumed delicate surgery...
Um, lots of power tools involved...and that Hana table I was put on, looked up recently, looks like belongs in medieval castle dungeon. Can't imagine positions I must've been in... :blush:
Guessing medical personnel used to those things but thankful for all of it. It's come along way, baby.
 
Thanks, Rita!
They do use the knee for leverage to dislocate the hip. Can you imagine if we could see a video
of our own hip replacement?!! We'd all be crying for our poor ol selves! @birder

I did see the video of mine. Although it was from the camera within my hip. It was a bit strange seeing the inside of your hip. The worst bit was when he shave the bone with what looked like electric hedge trimmers :yikes:
He said if I bring a memory stick to my next appointment I can have a copy.
 
Hi Layla @Layla

It was the ligaments on the inside of my left knee, ie the side I had my THR in May. It wasn't really swollen - just tight. She did quite a bit of massage on it, plus gave me a few exercises, which helped a lot

I have also been walking a lot, around 10-15k steps a day for the last few months, which has helped to build up the muscles too

Hope that helps
Peter
 
Thanks for the response, Peter
I'm seriously contemplating massage......just need to pull the trigger, so to speak.
It sounds like you're doing well. That's great to hear.
Best wishes for continued healing and a great weekend to you!
@PS46
 
Hi @dougie0216
So great to hear from you!
It sounds as though you're doing really well.
Had a laugh at how your bike was calling your name...

I'm doing well, thank you.....just chugging along.
Dealing with a bit of residual swelling / tightness in my knee area, op leg.
Not major though or really slowing me down. It's all good...
Miss your humor and posts...it will always remind me of recovery.
Best wishes for a great week!
 
Hi beautiful Layla - sorry you are dealing with a bit of swelling and tightness in the knee. Glad that it is not slowing you down! I think that we had surgery close together (mine was on 6/28/17).

I still have soreness at night (according to those here, because of my exercising - even though my doctor disputes that). I walk about 90% with a cane and 10% without, and I drive and go anywhere I want to go. In fact, I am planning a road trip next month!

I'm sure that I'm considerably older than you, though, as I will be 60 in January. I was overweight when I broke my hip but have lost over thirty pounds since.

Denise
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Layla, go ahead and pull the trigger on that massage. It it feels so go good to have someone give you a little TLC. I think you’re gonna like it, and you deserve it!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Denise,
Thanks for your kind words.
I went back and read through your thread. I am sorry you are still experiencing
persistent aches and pains and using a walking aid 90% of the time.
I noticed you cut back on the exercising at one point and found relief. I'm wondering
if you've returned to your original exercise routine again?

Personally I did not do a lot of exercising. I did the original prescribed exercises for a few weeks,
went to 3 PT sessions and quit. I didn't like the exercises the therapist had me doing. I went back to
walking alone as exercise.

In an effort to lose the chronic pain would you consider dropping all exercise, with the exception
of walking for a few weeks, to a month, to see if you notice marked improvement? It may be worth a try.
Are you using the cane due to a limp? If so, have you tried heel-toe walking? It really helped me but I had to make a conscious effort to let my heel strike the ground before the front of my foot. I continually need to remind myself as old habits die hard! :headbang: Hopefully soon it will just come naturally.

We need to do what we feel is right and is assisting in our recovery. If you feel you are making progress,
great. If not, I'd consider switching up my routine regardless of anyone's opinion. That's just me.....

Best wishes for a great week!
@Brunhilda
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom