THR Layla's Recovery

Hi @Josephine
Because I've yet to run this by you I'm interested in your expert opinion.
I am 7 weeks post op. Right total hip replacement, posterior. At two weeks post op I became aware of some swelling and bruising of my right knee. Bruising around the knee cap and outer side of my leg, knee cap area. The bruising is finally gone but the area to the outside of my knee cap is still a tad sore to the touch. There is still some swelling involved. It really isn't visible but I feel the tightness when I bend my knee. I have to admit I haven't given icing it's due diligence. Elevation either. Is it necessary to always elevate above the heart?

I haven't been on long walks either. I'm active around the home and away from the home but am wondering if longer walks wouldn't be more beneficial in assisting the swelling to dissipate.

I've visited my surgeons Physicians Assistants, two separately, on two different ocassions. Neither seemed concerned. On the second visit I questioned blood clots. The PA had me extend my leg out straight while in a seated position, point my toes inward, toward my body as she pressed intensely on the inside base of my calf.
She asked if it hurt, to which I replied it didn't, then told me if I had a clot that pressure would have sent me through the roof.

Just wondering if you'd have the time to weigh in on this.

Thank you in advance, Josephine
 
PS @Josephine
I should mention also there is no redness nor pain when I gently squeeze the fullest part of my calf.
I also followed what I deemed excessive blood clot protocol of my OS.
It consisted of a month of 325 mg aspirin 2x daily
Compression stockings 20 out of every 24 hrs until my first post op visit which was three weeks out
In addition DVT cuffs when I was not up and moving. So if I was sitting, lying or sleeping.
The things were ragged by the end of three weeks and I wanted to have a bonfire and a glass of wine and watch them burn! Lol!
 
Hello again @Josephine
Really sorry to bother you again as I'm sure you're working with techs in an effort to complete the upgrade.

I probably shouldn't have tagged you two posts in a row but I added a PS to my original post, which you addressed and am now wondering if you read my first post and if so......your thoughts.
Thanks again
 
Hugs @Layla I am thinking maybe to take the concern off your shoulders.... I think I would go see my family doctor and tell them you're concerned on a DVT. That's what I would do just to rid myself off that worry.

I wish we got to see our OS not just the PA... I like my PA but sometimes I feel better seeing my actual doctors. I know you didn't ask advise and it may not be welcome that's okay sometimes we don't want or need any. As I was up most of the night thinking on your leg I got to thinking I'd go see my doctor just to be sure and I'll tell Layla even if she ignores the advice which IS OK with me. Hugs
 
Aww, Aussie Girl, you're so sweet!
I'm sure it's okay. I trust the Physician Assistants I saw but I know what you mean about seeing the OS. I thought I'd just weigh in with Jo and see what she thinks....

I like my OS but met him for a consult and didn't see him again until the morning of my surgery, pre-op when he wrote his name on my surgical leg and I had to write "Yes" above it. I told my husband after my original consultation that I found it weird I met and talked to him for approx 20 minutes and wouldn't see him until my actual surgery. I told hubby that it's not like I think the OS should take me on a dinner date or anything but it felt strange meeting for so short a time then placing not only my trust, but my life in his hands!

I can't imagine your advice ever being offensive to me. I appreciate that you care......love you for that @MyAussieGirl
 
I will be all upfront about the fact that my OS runs an assembly line! He is Speedy Gonzales with the hips and knees, and is not so good with the bedside manner. Kind of not a people person. However, I have loved every PA I've seen of his, so he knows how to hire them. His nurses are a little like him, oddly. I have a general bias towards PAs anyway, don't know why, them and NPs. They are always people people, and they Pay Attention. I've been very fortunate in that most of the doctors I've stuck with have paid attention, but every so often you get one who didn't seem to.

So my bottom line is, if the guy wants to replace 400 hips a year, I think he's probably qualified to do mine too! His ProPublica score is outstanding.
 
I love my PA and OS My OS did the same thing @Layla though he did come see my to discharge me
I just didn't want you worrying.... I hate when I worry and am afraid. Hugs to all
 
I told my husband after my original consultation that I found it weird I met and talked to him for approx 20 minutes and wouldn't see him until my actual surgery. I told hubby that it's not like I think the OS should take me on a dinner date or anything but it felt strange meeting for so short a time then placing not only my trust, but my life in his hands!
I seriously had EXACT same experience.
Very odd, oh my stars!!!
 
It's not surprising that you felt that way also @Mojo333 I'd be surprised if most didn't ponder it.....
It was hard for me in the sense that I'd never experienced a surgery. Closest thing, wisdom tooth extraction in my 20's and routine colonoscopy at 50! Needless to say I was terrified and thought to myself driving home - So this is how it works.....I meet a guy, share some pleasantries, talk about my x-ray, ask some questions, have them answered all within a half hours time and now in two months I'm going to let him cut into my body and saw my bone!! Just felt so strange! But same guy did his job and I'm now pain free and moving about as I was two years ago before this all began.
Yay! Life is good! I know you agree...
Wishing you a great weekend!
 
I must be odd woman out. I recall taking it in stride. It's their profession, I know they have enough information to proceed on, and really, I am a body part that they know how to fix. I have booked my music into weddings based on less than that-- granted, not quite ortho surgery, but I am used to being in the position of "the trusted professional".

I also wonder if size of the ortho practise plays into this. Mine is gigantic and bustling. A lobby/waiting area with 40-50 seats kind of sets the tone for my expectations. I get back to xray, perhaps 6-10 patients are chatting cheerfully away-- it inspires trust!

And @MyAussieGirl I am on my phone and suddenly don't have spellcheck either!! Weird....
 
I actually saw my OS twice. First was first time I went to this practice. I had gone to another OS first and was not sure I wanted to use him. Asked my GP for recommendation and went there. Best decision ever as it turns out this OS is one of the best. After initial consult, I had to go back one more time. I forget now just what reason was. Then next time was at hospital when he signed my leg. Luckily he is not only good but nurses at hospital said he loves what he does and cares about his patients so I really lucked out.

When do you have next visit @Layla ? Hopefully if they still feel the swelling is ok, it will be more comforting as I feel that you are still concerned.

Nice to have the forum back up and running right - or at least I haven't come upon any glitches yet. We are blessed they keep us up to date and running smoothly as I think many of us are pretty much addicted to the site at this point. There was probably even a few who suffered withdrawal symptoms when it was down those couple days :heehee:
 
The first time I met the OS who did my hip I wanted to punch him in the chops. He was rude, dismissive and misinformed about my condition. He told me I didn't need a new hip and that he thought I had bursitis. He intimidated me into receiving a cortisone shot that I didn't want and did nothing for me but give me a two day red flush all over my body. I left the appointment in tears.

The next time I saw him was the day before my operation (4 months later) and he apologized. Why did I go to him after this terrible start? I live in a remote community, he gave me the first opportunity, and, most importantly, I knew he was a good surgeon.

Sometimes we complain about the food served on airplanes and forget we are flying through the air.
 
Got ya all beat my OS kisses me twice. Once pre surgery on my noggin.... The other time was the day he came to let me go...kissed my cheek.

@zauberflöte now you know my lament on no spell check I think Josphine thought I was being nasty but between no spell check, being a crappy typist and auto correct well DAC lol
 
Hi @GrannyC
I don't go back until mid October at which time I'll see the OS for the first time post op.

I saw his PA at 3 weeks post op, then I went in about 10 days later and saw another PA of his.
Neither were concerned.

I may see if I can go sooner than mid October because they originally told me I would see him at 3 months post op.
Well, mid October will be 3 1/2 months post op. His office gave me the appt date, that's why I didn't argue.

Hope the rest of your weekend is all you want it to be!
 
After they gave me something to relax right before my surgery...I saw my OS for the second time. I said ...you know we have alot of mutual trust going on...this is the 2nd time I've met you and I'm gonna trust you to do bilateral Hip replacement on me...and the trust you have in me is equally amazing. He says....um, OK. Why is that.
I said I'm the biggest mouth in town and will literally be a walking talking billboard for your success or your failure.
So what's it gonna be doc?
Hero or goat?
He says to the anesthesiologist....I think she's ready to go now.
He laughed about it at first post-op...
Thankfully...I was slightly loopy
 
Last edited:
I'll bet it felt good! And I'm sure she loves when grandpa swoops down and grabs her for some love and attention.
Happy for you to have the ability again.
Safe travels home......try the ice pack when it's your turn to drive.....helps me!
@dougie0216
 
@Layla I had the same experience and it did feel a little strange. It's a busy office. And he does 15-20 hips a week with his team. He has never heard of BoneSmart but has the same philosophy.
 
Yes, it was strange!
But we were a bunch of physically damaged people, living in pain, missing out on life, certainly sad at times, with uncertain futures.
Until we trusted a perfect stranger, with child like innocence, in the hopes of a better life.
And by the grace of God we're all here! And look at all the wonderful people we became acquainted with in the process........you being one @Gone again
Wishing you a great week!
 
Back
Top Bottom