TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @marmora Nice to receive your post and great to hear from you. We are just finishing our supper to and now waiting to watch a movie. After going for groceries today we had planned to go for a walk but rain so we went home and after putting away our groceries we just sat and talked for a while. Hoping for a few more days to get to the park but when we were in the park yesterday it started snowing very light just a few snow flakes but became very cold so we came home. My husband has been trying to get our yard cleared up for the winter and together we are almost finished with cutting down our roses and our peonies and hostas and other stuff.

We usually have a large amount of leaves to rake but this year not as many first year we have just a few nice not to have as many to rake. The trees line the fence that separates our house from the apartment building out front and many of the leaves fell on their side this fall . Usually their trees drop on our side so most falls we have lots and lots of raking the trees down from us left lots of leaves in our neighbors yards so townhouses at the end of our walkway have lots of leaves down their way. Washed out the wrap that I purchased during my last surgery time from the hospital that is used to hold the ice packs for icing my knee. It has velcro straps and kind of puffy like foam two pouches one on either side which hold the ice packs and it worked great last time around. Now it is hanging up drying and when dry packing it in a plastic bag ready to take to the hospital for my surgery.

Managed to find the ice packs that came with it so hoping to remember to ask my surgeon about it when I go to see him about reusing the one I have see no need to purchase it all over again. getting a little restless two weeks till appointment with family doctor for follow up on my new medication and then hospital appointments will start on the 3rd of December not too much longer now hope you are having a nice weekend and as tomorrow will be laundry day and rain is forcasted for the next 4 days we will probably be taking it easy at home. Have a nice day tomorrow and nice to receive your post Holly
 
Hi @tired wife and thanks for telling me about the Janet now going to pop in and see how she is doing . This surgery can be so hard sometimes more then expected and I know how she feels so much to handle all at once and we all try so hard to do it all right. Hope you are doing fine and your husband is finding things easier after having both knees done and back to work. Thanks so much and wishing you the best Holly
 
@lavender This is her 2nd knee, her first one gave her grief too. Hubby is doing good, just has to get use to working again. After 5 months it takes a little while to get back in the swing of things.
 
Hi @tired wife Thanks for catching me up on what was happening on Janet's thread hope things get better for her so hard to see someone going through all of this stuff. Happy your husband is doing good and yes it does take time to get back into the swing of the routine after a bit of time away but wishing him the very best and the best for you to. Holly
 
Today is laundry day and after putting in our first load we went for a walk in our park. It feels like it might rain again hopefully not snow but forecasting rain for the first part of the week . Sitting on the bench our bottoms feeling like they were starting to freeze but enjoying the fresh air had a talk to the geese and seagulls and then a little further down for another little sit and then time to go home. Still wearing my bulky sweater that I made with the hood but not realizing it is time to get out my winter coat.

Just two appointments for next week and then coming home to do some sorting out. Almost finished getting our garden and yard ready and then some things around our house. Walker ready and waiting cane in car my husband bought me a leg lifter when he was in the pharmacy by our park washed out the wrap that was used at the hospital to hold my ice packs, all packed in a bag now hoping to take some time to relax and get a few things done before surgery time as the next month is very packed with appointments and will be so busy. Making a little list of questions to take to appointments and hoping that when I am in the hospital they might get my insulin sorted out as the specialist that my husband goes to for his health issues is also a specialist in Diabetes and he is great. Diabetic clinic wants to see me again a week after surgery and told them unless I need to go out I will not be coming until driving again. Family doctors 3 month appointment will happen two weeks before surgery and then not again till the spring and other then the appointments with surgeon the others will just have to wait. Any appointments they need me to come to will have to be phoned in cabs are too expensive 15.00 each way from our house and the bus does not go near their door so this will be only appointments from the start and then the one to the hospital for staples to come out. Other option is taking the city bus that takes wheelchairs but will only take me. So many things can't wait till it is all over but still happy I am going. Holly
 
Hi Today after my husbands appointment we went to his hearing aid place to see what was making his hearing air sound like rushing water. I told him I kept hearing a swishing sound quite loud and it turned out that his hearing aid needed to have a few fix ups so now all tuned up and no more swishing sound. Reading all of the posts brings back some of the memories of what my knee went through to had forgotten most of it as things have gotten easier since then and have also forgot the amount of pain hoping this next knee does not remind me anymore then necessary.

Reading about the amount of bruising some are having and wish they were not having this difficulty but remembering that along with what happened with mine I did not have any bruising on my first surgery maybe so swollen it was hidden but no bruising. My Mom had quite a bit of yellowish and black bruising back then with her surgery but I had none. Just as I was told by her a very huge leg wondering why hers did not swell as much but guess we are all different. My foot and ankle and toes on operated leg were very swollen numb and still even now this foot and ankle swell still.

I think if I had not had the pt so early things may have been easier as up till the second day home other then excessive need to pee no complaints not even a lot of pain but that changed when pt started and then lots of pain so much my Mom could not believe at that time how much mine hurt and said she could not understand why it hurt as she said hers never did.

Reading posts is reminding me what is to come but after the first surgery my recovery time was difficult but and thinking this time maybe it will not be as hard. Feeling positive not worried as not worried before surgery last time but hoping so much that it will all go smoother. In wonderful hands with my husbands care he is so positive and I am usually positive to but so fortunate that this time around to have bone smart friends earlier then last time and know how much they have helped me. This time around will not feel as rushed as not going to be compared to the progress expected by family who should have understood and so thankful for my husband who never made me feel anything but wonderful even when I felt I should be further along. Thanking all of you for all of your kindness getting anxious for the date to come and knowing this time around I will be more aware of what to expect hoping it will all go good. Understanding how much bonesmart friends are going through with their surgeries and wishing all the very best for a kind gentle recovery.

Lots of support from people we know who are always asking how things are going and kind wishes for all to be fine. Wishing this same support could still come from family but things change sometimes but counting my blessings to be cared for and loved by those who really count and matter to me now and who I care for to. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today I am going to try to get a few things done . My cross stitch is taking over the corner of our living room. Bringing out patterns and getting a few things together so that when I come home from the hospital I can have a few projects nearby saving going through my bins to find what I want to work on. I have been cross stitching for as long as we have been married and love doing it so this is what my husband usually gives me for gifts for Christmas or birthday he loves watching me work on them as he says he knows how much I love making them . I am working on a pretty pattern now called the Lady of the Mist really enjoy seeing how each stitch brings the picture into view and hoping to get a little time today to do some more stitching on her. The year my Gram died I wanted to make my Mom something special that I had made and found a series of stitching patterns that were made by a lady who live in Maine and her name was Marilyn Levitt Imblum. She opened up a world of stitching for me of lovely Angles , children in gardens with alphabets, lovely victorian brides her patterns are beautiful so this year I found a pattern for my Mom called "The Childrens Garden" two little kids a boy and girl tiny and a sampler of the Abc's it is something that she treasured and hung on their kitchen wall. I then started to stitch a series of Angels seasonal all done in pinks and creams, holding garlands of boughs laced with flowers she was bringing to bring the summer flowers and then my stitching love blossomed so many gifts she was given hoping to give her part of me personal gift.

I made her more and she showed people what she was given back then she was so different .How I miss that part of her. The lady that made my first patterns died last summer but so many hours of enjoyment her beautiful designs have given me so many hang in our home. My husband says he loves seeing them there and amazed at how a blank piece of linen can become a picture. Too expensive to have them framed so he framed a few as surprise gifts for Christmas for me but I kept putting them into my Grams cedar chest and then one day decided if they could frame them so could I. Now frame my own so much more affordable and each time I look see things that I never saw before even though I stitched them see things tiny fingers that were at that time a series of tiny stitches. The lady has a daughter who also designed stitching her pattern company is called Mirabilia many fairies such beautiful patterns so the pattern I am working on at this time is one of hers.

My stitching is my way of relaxing love to do this so much my way of escape when things are difficult and when they are good. So fortunate my husband is so supportive as he is the reason my stash is growing I am have so many now but he says if I was not someone who makes them he would not buy them but I do. Our friend who has the cross stitch store in the little town nearby is how he finds what to buy as she knows the type I like to make and when we did not have a car she would mail them to him with what ever he wanted to buy with them to make them and she helped so much. This lady is the person who offered to frame them as she wanted to display them as not so many people work on stitching that it this large. Just thinking how lucky I am releasing my feelings as the past week was been very stressful and the stress is slowing down and trying not to worry about the stress stuff so stitching is a great way to do it.

Our bank messed up with our money and has now rectified the problem so things are the way they should have been . They are not sure what happened but someone messed up so we have been upset. Now they realize where the mistake came from and going today to make sure that when our bank lady is away for her month away holiday she has it sorted our properly . Wonder why people are not more careful as their mistake can make now further ahead then we thought we were so pleasantly surprised as this was how it should have been. Feeling much calmer we try to be ahead of the game but hard to do this when someone messes up now more then we thought we had.

So upsetting we live on a careful budget and do not splurge overly for sure careful shop carefully so hoping she has it fixed or will be making a call to someone else. They took a huge amount of tax off of us and now they are rectifiying the problem how could they have not thought something was wrong but happy for this time it is back to normal. No one noticed it till my husband called then they panicked. Do not want this to happen when knee surgery so told them someone needs to be more careful. Now done ranting but so nice to breath a little slower again. Holly
 
@lavender Hi, I have cross stitched a bit, just a few things. I enjoyed it I might start again when I get the remodeling of this house done.
Glad they got your money straightened out. It is scary when they mess up at the bank!
Hope you have a great day!
 
Today was such a nice day and after feeling low for the past little while worried about the way our pension was handled by our bank lady just needed time today for something nice and today was lovely. My husband ordered a few things from our favorite cross stitch lady a month or so ago and I ordered a few pack of beads for my cross stitch fairies and yesterday she left a message telling us that she had our items in. The sun was shining after days of cloudy skies and cold temperatures and no rain so beautiful.

Her shop is about 30 minutes away from our home and always a refreshing experience to visit and have a chat with her. Today was her day off and our other friend was working in the shop and such a nice chance to catch up with her such a cozy place and such a cheery place to go to love visiting there. Our friend was happy to see us and we enjoy seeing her to love to talk about things we like to do and of course stitching. She wished me the best for my surgery and told me how much they like seeing us and said she will look forward to hearing how things went. My husband will call her and then so will I.

It was busy there today and one after another people came in one was making a baby quilt and showed her work I told her how lovely someone will be so pleased to have this for their little one. Another woman who also has knee issues was looking for a pattern for a childs sweater always love to talk about this stuff so while our friend was looking for a pattern for this lady we talked.

Her shop is fairly small very personal and homey love going there to see them. Many years of working with people and still love talking to people think that maybe we have lost some of this contact now a days. Our friend Susan offered me a chair so I said thanks and sat by the little counter and she took time and we talked.


Such a beautiful day no need for the heavy coats we have been wearing and my husband went with out his coat I was wearing the sweater my pink one that my husband gave me as a kit for my welcome home gift after my last surgery and people were asking where I bought it did I make it and told me it was beautiful. Such a nice day how fast my worried faded as these are the things in life that are really worthwhile our friend the owner came in from the back wanted to pop in and she was happy she came and did not miss seeing us. She wished me the best for my surgery to and both have been good friends for close to 30 years .

They both wished a Merry Christmas and hope to see us soon hoping all goes well with my knee and then we were on our way a trip to the park to sit for a few minutes on our favorite bench and then home. My sugar levels have dropped since the change in medication now watching afternoon levels which have fallen below 4.0 feeling faint when this happens clothes are getting loose which is good but warning that new medication is a beta blocker so needing to keep a close eye on things.

I have been feeling low over the past week needed to boost my self today my husband has tried to bring me up today was just what was needed a nice car ride which we have not been doing and time to see friends people who care good friends. The cost today was a tiny bit of gas and a few dollars at our favorite store not expensive but so good for your heart. Holly
 
Just 40 more days to go till surgery getting ready for busy December arrangements have been made for the bathroom bars at the end of this month. My husband stopped in yesterday to see them and they said no problem they do it for all of the residents here so may needing help with getting around so happy our neighbor mentioned we should ask them . Back to the bank tomorrow to ensure our bank person has our things in proper order before she leaves for her month vacation . She is upset because when she booked her holiday she made arrangements for her husband and her to go to see family and friends forgetting she had two kids and assuming that her youngest would be comfortable spending a month left at home with relatives he seldom sees on his own so now her young is saying he is not feeling he wants to be left behind. Part of being parents and that means she will either have to stay home or her husband will so thinking her sons will be her first concern. Part of the things you have to do when you have kids so she is not concerned about her ability to do our banking as she is worried more about her own stuff which is ok but not when it is part of her responsibility at her job. She messed up we didn't so she needs to take care of it. Now told she has three other people who are upset probably the same stuff happening to them and she told us till she straightens out her mistake she is not being allowed her holidays hope she gets all fixed soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Lavender, you are a familiar face and name, we had our right knees done around the same time last year. I see you are getting your left knee done in December, I am also getting my left done, mine on the 16th of December. We will both be getting shiny new knees for Christmas.
 
@fiberlady Hi Cindy How nice to hear from you yes remembering you to and good to hear from you again. Our surgeries are getting close now my first appointment date was for December 18th but changed to December 22. We will both be getting shiny new lovely new knees for Christmas this year. How have you been and how is your right knee doing. So happy that I had my first surgery and now looking forward to my left knee surgery as well. Neat we will both be having our left knees done. So nice to have someone to share the same recovery time and looking forward to seeing more posts from you. Time seems to be flying by and I am sure you are going to have a busy time with appointments coming up for your surgery pre op stuff my appointments will start on December 3rd and when my decision to have my left knee came it seemed to be so far off but now almost here. Wishing you lots of good wishes and we are both almost on our way won't be long now. Hope you have a great day Holly
 
This is my third surgery date it keeps getting changed I was supposed to have it done on the 28th of October, then November 18th now December 16th. I am waiting to hear from the insurance right now to make certain they approve the surgery. When I had my other surgeries it was never a question since I had different insurance. This is making me very nervous as the knee is getting very unstable and many days I have trouble walking. I just remember that you and your husband would go to a wonderful park, I hope that you still are able to do that. I have since retired and will be able to have a more relaxed recovery (I worked from home during my recovery).

It will be very nice to have two working knees. Have a nice day
 
Hi @fiberlady Hi Cindy it will be nice for you to have time after your surgery understanding how hard it gets to do the things you want to my knee is very unsure to and without the aid of my husband holding arm would be afraid of falling. Hope all goes well with your insurance your date has been changed more then mine and hope this will be the last time they change it. It would have been nice if you could have had it done for your first appointment and wishing you the best. We are not working at this time as our jobs closed up and then it opened up the chance to have my surgery. Not sure how it would have happened if this had not happened. Looking forward to two stable knees next spring and then even more enjoyment from our walks our park is lovely such a great place to sit and unwind lovely surroundings. Take a short walk and then sit on the benches and then another walk and sit again nice to have the places to rest in between and will miss them but something to looki forward to when the winter is over. Wishing you the best and nice again to hear from you so many of the people that had surgery when we did have left but lots of nice people here still and so happy to have heard from you. Holly
 
Noticing my bone smart has some how changed itself to the 2 version wonder how but changed it back so it looks like it did before. Thought something looked different Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom