TKR Lavender's getting a new left knee for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @tiredwife Sorry to hear that your husband Steve is having problems with his tooth. Hope that the antibiotics he is taking clears up the infection and that he does not need to have it pulled. Tooth pain is one of the worst pains and hoping he feels better soon . I had 3 of my wisdom teeth taken out more then 10 years ago and would not want to do that again hope they can give him something to help with the pain. Hope you enjoyed time with your friend on the weekend. Your Christmas fruit cake sounds good. It sounds like the one my Mom makes and know how much time it takes to cut up all of the fruit and nuts and for our wedding cake my Mom made us the fruit cake she has made from the first year my parents were married. Her recipe was from a magazine she found it as a newlywed and the recipe she has always made was a fruit cake wedding cake.

The ingredients sound the same hers has candied pineapple , peel, grape juice, not sure what else but the ingredients you listed are in it to. More fruit then batter and takes a long time to bake. When we were getting married she used the pans that my Gramma used for their wedding cake three layers square pans lined with brown paper . My Gram did so much baking and many of the cakes made for the wedding in the family when all of the kids were getting married she made for her kids.

Tried finding brown paper for her last year and not as common as it used to be so found paper bags and they worked fine. My brother was married the month after my husband and I so she made both cakes and then we took ours in to have the layers iced. Our wedding was small but we had a nice meal she arranged it with our neighbor who at the time worked at a hall and arranged for all of the food. Understanding how much time you put into making your Christmas cake as I helped her cut the cherries and chop nuts and lots of time doing this but homemade Christmas cake is so much better then the bought ones we have had this was always a tradition she kept over all of the years that have passed by. She also made a slab that we cut up and wrapped to give out at our wedding she spent lots of time baking for both weddings and being my brother had a large wedding she needed to make 2 slabs of cake for us to wrap for his.

My husband and I always did lots of baking for Christmas and handed out plates of our baking to family and friends but over the past few years with things being so busy we have baked very little. Neither of us can eat sweet things now but last year we found a nice cookie press on sale at Micheals' so going to make shortbread which we both love peanut butter bars which were always a favorite of all and spritz cookies to if we make it that far. Used to make at least 12 types of cookies and bars and baked all during the months before Christmas but no longer need that many. @new knee is June are you near the place where the Quincy market is love our trip to Cape cod we went on such a nice place. The year we went they had just had a bad storm roads were moved so much damage on a bus trip saw so many great places and wish to go back again one day. Over the years we have collected a few clay cookie molds some we bought when we were in Cape cod one year at the Quincy market Raggedy Ann and Andy and four more traditional thistles pattern and cookie canes and Santas on another great for shortbread.

Hope to make cookies we are planning on earlier and maybe freeze some and then ready before going to the hospital . Love this cake but with the sugar can only have a small bit. Hard to believe that Christmas is coming so quick almost November. Your cake sounds wonderful and sure your kids will enjoy it. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender the wedding cakes sound delicious. We got married by the justice of the peace, just a witness and us. Very small!!:heehee:
I use paper bags or wax paper for mine. Shortbread cookies are my husbands favorite cookies. I have a recipe that has just butter, flour and sugar in it for his shortbread cookies.
 
@tiredwife Shortbread is my favorite to and my husbands as well the shortbread we used to make was along the same ingredients at the one you make pressed into a square 8 by 8 pan and then used small bits of glaced cherries to make a little pointsetita on the top love shortbread and it is one of the best for sugar not as sugary as many and think the shortbread is the best. Our original plan was to go and get married at city hall just wanted to get married and not wanting a large wedding. My mom suggested we have it at a hall our guest list was mostly family a close friend of each of ours and just my parents Gramma and close family. The place where the little hall stood is now where our doctors clinic stands.

I bought my wedding dress in January told them what I could afford after trying on a few they showed me a pretty one which had been reduced I had planned on a price and it was even less under 200.00 with the markdown and the veil was on sale to. Less then most dresses people are wearing now but just as nice and did not take all the money I had to spend. My husband wore a navy blue suit I had a bridesmaid my husband had his nephew as his best man small wedding party big enough for us. I can't believe the price of wedding dresses now thinking my niece spent 2000.00 or more on hers such a lot of money that I would rather have spent on things we needed like rent. Surprised at how much some of the dresses people buy and some more then that much who can afford these things. Our first choice was city hall and would been happy with this choice but did not want to disappoint my Mom. We did not have a band we did not want one, but very old fashioned type of wedding my Dad said it was his favorite as it was simple and nice. Guests in total were around 20 people immediate family loved our small family wedding . Your wedding sound nice and think it is a great idea. Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@lavender
What a small world, Quincy is 2 towns over from me. I love the Cape, what parts have
You visited ? My sister use to live in Mashpee.
My husband's sister rents a big Victorian in Chatham, you can never swim, Sharks close
Down the beaches every year :yikes:
We also rent rooms at the Red Jacket Inn, beautiful rooms, right on a small beach.
They serve your drinks right to you on the beach :martini:
Ahhhhhhh VACATION.....:yahoo:
Have a wonderful Night,
Love,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
@new knee in June

Hi Diana We went on our vacation with my Mom and Dad on a bus trip this was while we were still travelling and it has been a while since we went away on a holiday at least 15 years. Stopped when we started working night too hard to get the same time off but before this we went on trips to the States quite often. We stopped in Springfield Mass. on the way down and then not sure as it has been a while but remember going on a tour through the Vanderbilt mansion, visited Quincy market which we loved, we had a tour through Boston and remembering the bus driver did not want to take one of the curvy roads and the tour director insisting as she had things that she wanted to show us in Boston . We were supposed to stay along the water but the tour had to be changed a bit as the place we were to stay was not available due to damage from a bad storm thought it was a Hurricane might be wrong but remembering as we were driving along a highway across from which we were to see homes along the waters edge that belonged to people who were rich and famous people so we did not get to see closer.


My mom and I walked down a hill to the beach to walk along the water where the Kennedy flame was not sure the name of it along the sand and then back to the bus. We went on a tour of the Kennedy library and saw the room where the desk stood that President John Kennedy used and they showed us the place that his son john liked to hide. We saw the Mayflower and the cranberry bogs, had a tour there and stopped into a shop nearby to look around bought a nice cat address book that we still have . Saw Plymouth rock a battle ship that we did not get a chance to see for long as the choice was either the ship or other attraction. We travelled to Province town one day but the tour we were supposed to go on to see the Whales had also been cancelled also due to the damage the storm the week before our holiday had caused. A few things we were looking forward to seeing was the Sandwich glass place which was on our way to supper one day which for some reason we did not do as well. We all loved this trip such a lot of history and such a beautiful place to take a vacation to. all in all we had a wonderful time.

We went on a ferry ride to see Martha's vineyards and at lunch at a little restaurant that had vintage bicycles had fish and chips for lunch and a chance to look around on our own for the afternoon enjoyed having time together and my parents loved it to nice to all be together for this time. The place that we stayed was further away from things then the original place had been so a little more driving on the bus to get for our night meal. We went to a place near the sandwich glass place that had a dinner theater which ran when we were there and offered lobster and chicken bowls of chowder . We had the chicken never ate lobster before but so many were enjoying the lobster to and such a nice atmosphere.

We were driven past the Kennedy compound and not sure if the order is correct with my description but even with the things we could not see because of the storm we thoroughly enjoyed all that we had a chance to visit. places along the route we passed had obvious signs that something powerful had happened with the weather as actual stretches of roads were lifted up and had landed in other places. So happy our vacation did not take place the week before as we could have been involved in the weather that had happened.

Hoping that one day we will get a chance to go again budget is tight but one day when we were having our breakfast at our place we like in the town a little ways from home a bus pulled up behind us and we had a chance to talk to the driver. He told us what they were planning on future trips and one was a trip back to Cape cod. Boston, and the same type of tour we had went on . He mentioned that they went of Whale watching trips and told him that we loved our trip but would like to see the things we did not get to the first time around. Maybe when my knee is all ready to go my husband said that a trip back would be nice and if we can get a little saved it would be nice to see it all again. found it a friendly place and enjoyed all we saw and each others company used to go together with my parents to many places on our holiday weeks and memories of t he fun we had. Holly
 
Hi @bottomshollow I would appreciate it if my thread title could be changed Thinking of a better thread title " Lavenders getting a new left knee for Christmas" thinking my last choice was not a good idea Thanks so much once again Holly
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone not much action here but getting a chance today to catch up a little bit so nice to see how everyone doing.

This month trying to catch up on a few things and one was the need to have our flu shots. So many places that are offering flu shots but not available till this weekend so tried on Sunday to have our shot at the pharmacy near our park but told it would be better to try on Monday so on the way home we thought we would try another one. Same company but no problem they were really nice and now have our flu shot arm a little tight but happy to have it all done.

Monday my husband and I had appointments mine with our family doctor who is trying to keep an eye on how the new medication that he gave me for my blood pressure is affecting my other readings. He wants it all taken care of before surgery and is keeping a close eye on how it is working.

I wanted to call our health insurance company to ask a few questions and found that after a few tries our phone was not working. My husband tried our cell phones and they were alright but no home phone connections. No internet access so needed to look up the phone number of our provider up in the phone book instead of the computer.

I was so excited so so so excited as during the search I took the other books out of the end table magazines for cross stitch other booklets and then just before closing the door on the end table in our living room I for some reason moved a large book which was standing up my husbands base ball book that he was given as a gift for Christmas and for some reason put my hand into the cupboard and reached back and pulled out a pouch with a zipper on it. My lost camera which has been missing for close to a year and a half never expecting to ever see it again. My husband bought it for me so that I could have my own digital camera when we were still working and I had a chance to use it that summer and then a few pictures at Christmas time and then lost till Monday.

Things were very busy at that time and during that time my Dad left home and went to the home in the town so far from where we all lived. So many upsetting things taking place with all that had happened with my parents and their health issues and being that I was not thinking clear must have placed it there in a rush.

Started calling my husband who was upstairs so excited now remembering that he had bought me a nice little case for it with a neck strap dark grey so not easily spotted. All this time I have been tearing the house apart looking in all place I thought it might have been placed forgot it had its case looking under the couch and in purses, kept looking in the pockets on the walker that was my Dads, drawers even in shoes, the car, bags with knitting supplies round and round over and over. When I found it I thought it was the case that my husbands hearing aids came in but for some reason I opened it anyway and took a few minutes for it to register what I had actually came upon. It was in the table that sits by the couch that I sit on only a foot away from me kept thinking it might be there and more then once I have looked but this time right to the back and so excited it has been missing for so long kept the box just in case so I had the cables needed to use for downloading my pictures into computer and happy I did.

So many good things happened that day new Mayor elected hoping for some positive changes he is the son of a man who many years ago was our insurance man. Met an old friend of mine from primary school at the polls the day we went to vote and surprised he remembered me from so long ago had a chance to talk to him for a few minutes and we were just little then he remembered my family and nice to talk about the days of being kids.

He was running for city council in another ward in our city not ours and had taken time out to drive an elderly lady to vote as she could not go on her own. Time flies and such a small world. Nice to
hear he won his council seat on election night
to as he is a caring person and will do a good job.

How strange to find the phone was not working called the Mall and talked to someone in the store that provides our cable and phone and they said they were having outages in our part of the city and that the stores were having problems getting calls to before this kept checking to see phone cords were plugged in and phones hung up thinking the problem was only with our phone felt a little frustrated but the end result so amazing and with this happening and the need for the phone book to look up the company number my long lost little tiny camera is now found.

During the time of my surgery I found I was having trouble remembering things maybe the stress of my Dads dying which happened just before maybe the medication to but thinking it was around this time that my camera was lost and soooo soooo happy that it has now been found and one less thing to worry about. Thought I was going crazy and now after more then a year and a half it has re appeared now taking care not to misplace it again. Life has a way of surprising us not always in a way we would expect but happy this one had a happy ending. Holly
 
@lavender Holly glad you found your camera! I am so bad about misplacing things that I have to have a place for everything, but everything doesn't always get put in it's place. Hope they get your phone problems straightened out. We don't have a 'land line' just cell phones.
 
Hi @tiredwife and @new knee in June Nice to receive your posts. Our phone service was restored just shortly after our phone call to the provider they were having the same problem in our area with their phones and knew there was a problem. Strange how a problem with our phone led to finding my camera as it was the reason that i was looking for the phone book to call and ask about the problem with phoning out and receiving calls.

I had only had the chance to use my camera once before and then at Christmas that year and not realizing that I had taken pictures with it the Christmas before my Dad died. Pictures that I found on it were ones that I will never get again and precious as they were of my Dad. Camera is so tiny size of a small cell phone and very happy to have it back took it to the park during the fall that year and only two times it was used so strange how phone service being disrupted led to finding something that I thought was lost and gone. Feeling happy no longer need to look for it. Holly
 
Hi Changing my thread title as I forgot what title I chose and could not find my thread. Thought the shorter title would be easier to remember but had the opposite result so hoping it will be changed.

Today we went for a walk in our park and although it is much cooler really loved our time there. Seems to give us more energy when it is cooler as we stayed a little longer then we have lately sky very cloudy but surroundings still so pretty. Many of the trees have lost their leaves but interesting to see how beautiful their shapes are even so all different shapes sizes and they have their own personalities.

Walking up the pathway along the water today after feeding our lovely friends we noticed the lady who makes the giant bubbles was in the park seeing bubbles gliding along the top of the river and over to the other side of the water. As we came closer we noticed it was not the lady who was making the giant bubbles but a very small little boy and he was doing amazing better even then the lady who usually does them.

The bubbles are made with something with two sticks and a wick type thing between them she carries the bubbles in a large shopping bag with them and today they were making their bubbles just a little bit over from the large water falls. The little boys bubbles were huge and some very long and one that I managed to video with my camera went the distance over the water and way up into the sky traveled quite a long way before it broke over top of the tall trees it passed over. The little boy left with his family Mom probably and a few little girls to and then the lady was making bubbles on her own but no comparison to the bubbles her little assistant had made he did his bubbles made it look so easy and as being little probably enjoyed doing it. Gently lifting the two sticks and then a mass of huge bubbles fun to watch and the video of them turned out so clear neat to see.

Met a few of the people we see on our walks each day today and had a few minutes to talk to them. I had a chance to take a few pictures enjoy having my camera back know I will get lots of use from it . Last winter when the weather was so cold it was wonderful to play the movies I had taken on it during the fall before it was lost and the sound of the water over the falls the calling of the sea gulls honking of the geese and ducks quacks almost sounding like laughter was so very much enjoyed. Came home and played what was recorded today hoping it will stay nice for tomorrow want to take more and more chances to sit in our wonderful park love it so much get the most from it before surgery time and know it will still be to spend time in next spring . Simple pleasures often mean the very most.

Last week while we were walking in our park just as we were walking down the brick path on our way back to our car we noticed a woman at the end of the path and it looked like our friend but she had two leashes this time. We were happy to see her it has been a few weeks and always enjoy catching up on what has been happening with both of our lives. Well it was our friend and her cute dachshund Jasper and on the end of the second lilac colored leash was the tiniest little dachshund I have ever seen she introduced her to us and told us her name was Ruby. She is so cute same golden brown as Jasper tiny little face and so very lovely very gentle and friendly but she seemed a little frightened so cute. So nice to see them together and wonderful she had joined such a nice family she explained how Ruby came to be part of their family.

Ruby is 5 years old and the need came along to find her a new home as her human Mommy had suffered a stroke and was no longer able to care for her. She needed a family that would make sure she was taken care of and she had taken her home with her just a few days before this day and was so excited to have her with them. She had an ear infection when she came to live with them and she had visited the vet that morning and she was taking her home to give her the ear drops the vet had issued to her.

She had a new collar and leash and fit in so well with them she will be loved and know she will be given what she needs to have a comfortable happy life. Jasper will help to as he was very protective of her and she seemed to like following him around like he was telling her he would help her along her way. Before the lady that had a stroke adopted little Ruby she had lived with someone who had planned to breed her and our friend wondered if she had experienced much time outside as she seemed to love wandering around very sweet little baby kept coming up to be patted and I told little Ruby everything would be alright she would be just fine told her she was beautiful and how much her new Mom wanted her and she is just so lovely so little we thought Jasper was small but she is very tiny looks like she was loved in her other home to as she looks very healthy.

Thinking she is wondering what happened why is she no longer with her other family and seemed she was looking around almost like she was looking to see if her family was coming back for her so upsetting to moved around she was shaking a bit our friend said she had noticed tears on her little face how hard it can all be changes but know she will be in a place that she will be safe. Our friend said she did not even have to think about it when asked she had always wanted to have another little dog along with Jasper and she was happy to have her in her family. Love animals they tug at your heart strings always hope when you see them that they are in a life where they are loved and cared about and feel for them when they have to go through changes they might not understand.

Our friend has a fleece bed in her backseat for Ruby as Jasper sits in the front seat she is so tiny and to small to look out of the windows. Hoping to see Ruby and Jasper and our friend before it turns too cold to go for as many walks. Our friend was asking about my surgery and wanted to know when I was going as she is planning to come to see us when I get home she said she has been thinking this would be nice and maybe going to come to the hospital as well. Anyone who is this loving of animals is alright all the way in my way of looking at things. Holly
 
Holly @lavender

Being Irish, we look for explanations as to why some things happen.

It got me thinking, that when the phones went out, you Dad was there "to help" you find your camera, as the camera meant so much to you.

Cathie
 
Hi Monday when I was at my doctors appointment for my check up on the blood pressure readings my doctor suggested he add another pill to my dose so now taking two low dose pills instead of one. So much this change has helped sugar readings are now dropping and sleeping so soundly not even needing to get up at night to use the bathroom. I think I am even looking a bit better feel younger and relaxed and excited again and it was on this day that after such a nice visit with my doctor that other great things happened. Came home to find my camera which had been lost for so long lost just after my husband gave it to me and felt bad that it happened. He kept telling me that it was around in the house not to worry after such a long search felt it had been left in the park fell out of my Dads walker which I used for trips outside at that time and hoping to find it.

I even found a package of gum which was sitting on the rolling cart I pass so often in a day and never saw my husband said it is probably stale now but still I found it. One day while still working I got up early and rather then waking my husband up I went on my own to sign up for pt way before any mention of having surgery was made. I was advised by the nurse at his office that my knee was in bad shape and that maybe having pt they could with the xrays they had of my knee make it easier to walk on.

It was the day that I went to see the pt to sign up that I fell flat on my face in the parking lot on the island not sure what happened maybe my sugar reading was low but I fell and so scared. I thought I would look in the mirror and see my face all scraped up and wondering how I came away from this no marks just very sore how did I make it out of this without any sign of bruising I remember hitting the ground very hard and no damage.

My husband was upset he said he wished he had been with me asked why I did not wake him he would have been happy to go with me but knew he should have his sleep as we had to go back into work that night and he had been in the hospital shortly before. Got up quick as I could worried if I did not I would not get up. Embarrased someone would see me and wonder what had caused it. So many things had happened during that time my parents were having health issues we were trying to make sure we helped with what they needed not enough sleep for either of us but aside from my arm being scraped and sore nothing else happened that I could see. I did not tell anyone other then my husband who said I should go to the hospital and get a someone to look at me but scared maybe I had a stroke and did not want to go in case something had. I have always believe that someone is watching over me always have and that day wondered if that was what had stopped me from being hurt.

Since that time so many things I have forgot and one day talking to my doctor I mentioned it scared but he said with all of the stress that had taken place in our family which had before this time had very little stress my body was not getting a chance for its self and my mind was so busy with other stuff that had never taken so much time and mental stress things were happening that I was not having a chance to catch up with and with my mind so busy my ability to be as aware as I had been before was not the same. This is why the camera meant so much as it was lost at this time and when it all happened worried something had actually happened to me the day I fell as my doctor said the problem was just too much stress and watching people I loved going through so much finding my camera has meant so much as it is a sign that things are now calming down and the pathway is clearing out and so happy to see it happen. Counting my blessings and thankful for the life I have. Holly
 
Today after we went for breakfast and then for a nice walk in our park we came home to find a letter from my surgeons office. It was the information package that she had said would be coming which explains the dates for all pre-op appointments which have been scheduled for my upcoming surgery. Appointment dates start on December 3rd on which I have two appointments scheduled before my surgery and then on the 11th one and then one more on the 16th of December as well. my surgery has been scheduled for the first appointment the morning of the 22nd of December at 8:00 am which I was hoping for and estimated time as of now for stay in the hospital will be 2 or 3 days which should bring me home to be with my husband for Christmas if all goes well.

Times is going fast almost November and so many appointments for family doctor and dentist and so far all is great as none of the new appointments is on the same day as the appointments already made. Now just have to plan a day for 3 month check up with my family doctor before surgery and then one at the end of November for my blood pressure checkup with him as well and then make plans for blood test as well. Thinking the next 7 weeks is going to go fast and so happy to have the first surgery appointment in the morning that day as it may make time before going home shorter. One of my appointments is with the same doctor that my husband goes to his specialist I went to him last surgery for my first knee replacement and really like his secretary she is wonderful and he is a very amazing doctor as well. So excited at this time know it is not a fun thing to do but how much better it will be when knee is all new and looking forward to having two strong knees. Holly
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom