@marmora
Hi Cathie I hope your weather gets better and the rain stops. I hope you enjoy your lunch out with your friends today such a nice way to spend time with them and have fun together. My brother plays bridge I never have but when living at home we used to play rummy together with my parents and my brothers. Had a lot of fun just felt bad when having to ask for cards from them as usually meant you might win. Nice time with them though and played after supper couple of times a week together.
My husband is good at most card games, understands sports which I do not understand very well and plays chess something I have no idea about but he enjoys them.
My brother Gregs wife (my sister-in -law ) and her family are from England but her Mom was born in Ireland and the family grew up in Ireland. My sister-in-laws Mom who is really nice love to talk to her was born in Ireland and often goes back to see family the way she talks about her visits and how much she enjoys herself there makes me think Ireland would be a beautiful place to see. Next trip after my niece has finished her teaching schooling she is taking my niece back home with her to meet the family and she will have a nice time with her as she would be fun to travel with.
My Dads family his family on both his Dads and Moms side (my Gramma and Grampa) were all born in Canada and from families that had farms. Lots of relative most I have never met as they were much older when I was small but so many stories of the things they did. My Dads Mom my Gram could put on a meal for lots of people all were welcome and she was an amazing cook.
The houses that they had lived in before I was born were quite large but the house that I remember much smaller but even so she could fit in more then 30 people all placed comfortable us kids and my older cousin sat in a little room next to the dining room nice for us special at a kids table and my cousin who was more then 10 years older sat with us.
If someone dropped in she could always find a place to sit them and she cooked everything huge turkey. hams everything always more then enough to feed all that came and her baking was so good. My cousin his name was Scott and has since died was the one that kept things exciting as he was pretty big for the kids table but he was someone I loved to see he was lots of fun. I thought he was wonderful only saw him on special holidays so looked forward to him coming.
Years ago my aunt wrote a book for all in the family on the history of our family. She always knew who was having a birthday and what type of day it was when they were born . She gathered it all together and wrote it all down and the history as well of the the families that were part of ours and such a precious thing hoping one day to have a copy of my own.
My aunt who is my Dads only sister died during the month of December the year before my Dad and my husbands sister and her husband so with out her taking the time to record what she knew from stories told to her by my Gramma and Grampa and aunts of my Dad and Aunt( his sister) the history may have been lost. Girls in our family are not common most of the babies born were boys . I am the only girl in a family of 5 kids 4 boys. My Dads family was 3 boys with one girl my Aunt although one baby that was female died at a very young age, My Aunt had three kids 2 boys one girl but seems only one girl to each family. My brothers have 4 girls between their families and one brother had 2 boys so it went the other way when their kids were born. Interesting to see where you came from and the things in common from generation to generations that you find out. Hopy your knee is making things easier for you Holly