Hi @marmora Your village sounds really nice and how nice it is to shop or go out to eat where you know people working there. We moved into our townhouse the spring of 1990. The people who manage our townhouses are very family oriented lots of green space areas not too crowded and they encourage the people who live here to plant their gardens and make their space homey lots of room and our one neighbor is now retired and has a degree in horticulture and has set up so many large gardens on his own all around the area planted lots of trees and said he put the magnolia tree which has yellow flowers just past where our car sits in the parking lot to give us something pretty to look at when it is blooming as we get out of our car. Our town homes were built by the people who still manage them they wanted a complete community place where the kids could go to school close to home and built a large shopping mall up the street for shopping lots of things to do no far from where we live so many years ago now over 40 years ago. This year as we were told as it marks our 25 years living here we are invited to a dinner in honor of the years we have lived here and will be held at the Holiday Inn up the street from us and we will join others who have been part of this community for 25 years or more. I was told it will now be an annual invitation for us to meet and have a nice dinner all paid for together . We will also receive a cash amount every so many years as a thank you for being with them for so long not sure think it is either every year or every so many years but such a nice gesture they would do this in their appreciation.
My husband and I worked in the in the mall before the opening day and started there helping to get it ready before it opened and then until the store was sold and returned to the states we has worked there for 25 years. Loved that enviroment made many friends who we still see now and very family oriented hard working but very rewarding enjoyed our jobs . I ran the toy department for all but two of those years when I decided to take a job in the office but always loved seeing the little kids who came in to shop and helping with the gifts their families looked at for them.
Twenty three Christmas seasons and my department was a very busy one had top sales for the entire country many weeks throughout Christmas and year round and lots of wonderful loyal customers who became our friends. Reports that our stores were sold and the company that bought them asked that we all go through interviews to determine who they would keep and both my husband and I were given jobs kept our seniority but lost pay but thankful to have a job. We worked for them for another 14 years and during this time were offered a chance to make a little more money so changed to the night shift job as all job formats were changing and chance to do what we loved during the day at night missed the people though but needed to do what we could to help even out the money loss for all after the buy out.
During that time I was offered a job as an assistant supervisor a little more money and it was because of the night job we were able to help my parents with the hospital needs and visit my Mom during the mornings when she was put in the rehab place and when we normally would have been sleeping taking care to see my Dad was alright. A year later all of the stores all across Canada were sold and we were given a severence pay as the new company was not ready to open for another year.
We did not return to another job as so many family issues and our help was needed funny how things work out this was the only way that I could have had a chance to help my parents and then have my knee replaced. And now the next surgery this change was good for my husband he had been very sick the year my parents were and in the hospital many times and very serious so far so good along our last few years and so thankful to have had the time to spend with my Dad before he died and help my Mom with her needs. The jobs paid enough to manage on sometimes money is not the total answer but your happiness with what you do with it. But that does not mean I would not be willing to try if won the lottery to live on a little more but happy even so very much.
Sometime you wonder why things go the way they do but they have a reason for doing this. I am not sure how we could have fit it all in if not for the night shift and if the store had not closed my knee would still be waiting and my chance to be with my Dad when he needed our time would not have happened as easily. Hoping we can manage for a while longer this way my husband said no matter what he will not see me working again we will manage
The fast pace of nights and the need to help with what needed done to keep us from getting behind meant I had to use some of the power equipment and this helped cause the reason for the damage to my knees.
Damage built up over years of things that happened at work and some of the equipment I needed to use with the new company and a tough supervisor on my night job high rate of people quitting
on the supervisors shift not on mine tried to keep calm and people respected that anything they did I was doing the same with them I felt I needed to help . It was heavy work I had and some falls during this time my husband had a serious accident and fractured his wrist the surgeon was not sure if he would ever use it again but my husband was determined he would and now does pretty good with what he needs to do with it. Counting my blessings to have such a loving caring kind husband who would do me no harm and gives me so much love and care I am very lucky and thankful for it very patient never gets really angry pretty easy going man. Hoping you are doing well and wishing all of the very best and one more day till the weekend. Holly
My husband and I worked in the in the mall before the opening day and started there helping to get it ready before it opened and then until the store was sold and returned to the states we has worked there for 25 years. Loved that enviroment made many friends who we still see now and very family oriented hard working but very rewarding enjoyed our jobs . I ran the toy department for all but two of those years when I decided to take a job in the office but always loved seeing the little kids who came in to shop and helping with the gifts their families looked at for them.
Twenty three Christmas seasons and my department was a very busy one had top sales for the entire country many weeks throughout Christmas and year round and lots of wonderful loyal customers who became our friends. Reports that our stores were sold and the company that bought them asked that we all go through interviews to determine who they would keep and both my husband and I were given jobs kept our seniority but lost pay but thankful to have a job. We worked for them for another 14 years and during this time were offered a chance to make a little more money so changed to the night shift job as all job formats were changing and chance to do what we loved during the day at night missed the people though but needed to do what we could to help even out the money loss for all after the buy out.
During that time I was offered a job as an assistant supervisor a little more money and it was because of the night job we were able to help my parents with the hospital needs and visit my Mom during the mornings when she was put in the rehab place and when we normally would have been sleeping taking care to see my Dad was alright. A year later all of the stores all across Canada were sold and we were given a severence pay as the new company was not ready to open for another year.
We did not return to another job as so many family issues and our help was needed funny how things work out this was the only way that I could have had a chance to help my parents and then have my knee replaced. And now the next surgery this change was good for my husband he had been very sick the year my parents were and in the hospital many times and very serious so far so good along our last few years and so thankful to have had the time to spend with my Dad before he died and help my Mom with her needs. The jobs paid enough to manage on sometimes money is not the total answer but your happiness with what you do with it. But that does not mean I would not be willing to try if won the lottery to live on a little more but happy even so very much.
Sometime you wonder why things go the way they do but they have a reason for doing this. I am not sure how we could have fit it all in if not for the night shift and if the store had not closed my knee would still be waiting and my chance to be with my Dad when he needed our time would not have happened as easily. Hoping we can manage for a while longer this way my husband said no matter what he will not see me working again we will manage
The fast pace of nights and the need to help with what needed done to keep us from getting behind meant I had to use some of the power equipment and this helped cause the reason for the damage to my knees.
Damage built up over years of things that happened at work and some of the equipment I needed to use with the new company and a tough supervisor on my night job high rate of people quitting
on the supervisors shift not on mine tried to keep calm and people respected that anything they did I was doing the same with them I felt I needed to help . It was heavy work I had and some falls during this time my husband had a serious accident and fractured his wrist the surgeon was not sure if he would ever use it again but my husband was determined he would and now does pretty good with what he needs to do with it. Counting my blessings to have such a loving caring kind husband who would do me no harm and gives me so much love and care I am very lucky and thankful for it very patient never gets really angry pretty easy going man. Hoping you are doing well and wishing all of the very best and one more day till the weekend. Holly
Last edited by a moderator:
Canada
Let me be the first to say ;
I raked all
I will decorate Sunday instead. I will be going out to
Do you have anything planned

