Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a BIG day - hope you are feeling ok the next day as well, that is when I tend to feel it. Well done
 
That is a lot of activity @LauraLeigh. Happy to hear you weren't in too much pain afterwards. You may feel it today though. Take care!
 
Amazing day! You accomplished a lot! Hope you're feeling okay today.
 
That is great. You are making super progress.
 
Why is it women have the urge to clean house before the cleaning lady comes? Isn't that why one hires a cleaning lady in the first place?

[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
 
Well, I thought I was okay with all that activity but I sure paid for it the next day...and the next! I was stiff and sore from my busy Thursday until Sunday morning. There wasn't really any knee pain: the soreness was in my shins and feet from all the walking. My knees are still somewhat stiff and unfortunately I decided to cook dinner tonight - big mistake! I was not recovered enough for standing and cooking for an hour. Again, not the knees - mostly my shins and feet. Oh well, now I know.

I had planned to try driving this weekend but decided to postpone until next weekend. Tuesday is my first outpatient PT session - hopefully I'll have enough rest tomorrow to be ready for it. I know she won't do anything to hurt me; I met with her before my surgery to make sure we were on the same wavelength. She seemed very nice and assured me she would never force my knees into painful positions. Here's hoping she is as gentle and patient as she seemed at our first meeting!
 
@LauraLeigh - sounds like you overdid it for sure. You are still early in to be doing that much activity. Give yourself time to recuperate. Elevate and ice and don't overdo it again anytime soon. :)

Good luck with your driving and with the outpatient PT session.

Take care!
 
My first outpatient PT session went well. We mostly talked and she took measurements: I'm at 120 degrees of flexion on both knees. She also did some gentle manipulation to check my mobility in various directions. At the end she put me on a NuStep for 10 minutes - it's like a recumbent stair climber. I rather liked it; I wish I could have one at home but apparently they cost about $4000!

Afterwards I came home and was a bit sore so I iced and elevated in my recliner. I was going to read but fell asleep and woke up 3 hours later! I got up at 5 today which was a first for me in the 5 weeks since my surgery. I guess I was more tired than I realized...and the kitty sleep vibes helped.
[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
 
You're doing great LauraLeigh especially after only little more than one month. Naps are good especially when you have a little friend to join you. :)
 
@LauraLeigh Your kitty is so cute. My dogs and cat all try to get on my lap, and just like your kitty, they all know to avoid the ice packs. You are doing great. I love reading your posts and see how well you are recovering. Take care!
 
Love your furry kitty. How cute. 120 flexion is amazing! I am at 106 at 8 weeks! Congratulations. Keep at it you are doing wonderfully!
 
I had a great PT session today! I warmed up on the recumbent stepper for 10 minutes, then did some leg stretches. She worked on my IT bands with a foam roller which was rather painful but definitely needed - they've been very sore since my surgery. I did a couple of strengthening exercises followed by standing and sitting without using my hands from a lower height than I've tried before. Lastly we got to the best part: I got to use a Pilates Reformer! It's hard to describe if you've never seen one but here's a short video:

I did several exercises including leg circles as shown in the video (but at a much slower pace). The best thing was that I could actually DO it! That's so uplifting after weeks of not being able to do much in the way of proper movement. It felt really great! I highly recommend it if you can find a Pilates studio. I'm now looking for one near me than I can go to after my PT is finished.
 
Actually that's not a bad price! I checked around with several studios and the classes start at $30 and go up to $85 for private sessions. So I guess I'll be thankful for my $25 insurance copay and enjoy using it for the next 5 weeks. I do have a Pilates DVD that I like but haven't been able to do for a couple of years - I look forward to being able to do that again. But it's not nearly as fun as the machine!
 
I have several DVDs from the Stott Pilates company. They are very mindful about reminding you to keep your spine safe in all positions. I enjoy them a lot but had to stop as several were on hands and knees to start a move. Their Zenga Flow is my favorite. :)
 
Wow you rock girl. That is so awesome that you are doing so well so soon. I only had one knee done so your making me feel a little unmanly doing so well after both knees lol. I am really happy for you, those that haven't gone through this can't understand how truly hard it is and what a drain on your whole body it is. Keep up the good work, and heres to you getting better everyday.... Joe
 
My thighs are a bit sore from yesterday's workout but that was to be expected!

No big plans for this weekend: today we are just staying in and relaxing. Tomorrow I'm going to try driving for the first time in almost 6 weeks, then we're going to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. On the way home we'll go to the grocery store: my 2nd attempt at shopping in the past 6 weeks. Exciting, huh? ;-)

The bad thing about this weekend is all the fireworks we will hear: they're illegal in our town but of course that doesn't stop anyone. The sounds really freak out the cats - they're going to be very unhappy tonight!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom