Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@msmechanic58 - I was searching on Amazon for the Stott Pilates DVD you mentioned and found one called "Armchair Pilates" that includes a flex band. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I had to give up my favorite Crunch Fat-Burning Pilates DVD because it was both standing and mat work, neither of which I've been able to do because of the knees. I'll get back to it soon, I hope! In the meantime I'm looking forward to trying the armchair one.
 
@LauraLeigh 120 at 5 weeks was great! My husband was at 115 at 5 weeks. His surgery was the 28th of May.
How many kitties do you have? We have 4, one of them is orange like yours you took the nap with.
[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
 
@msmechanic58 - I was searching on Amazon for the Stott Pilates DVD you mentioned and found one called "Armchair Pilates" that includes a flex band. I'm going to order it and give it a try. I had to give up my favorite Crunch Fat-Burning Pilates DVD because it was both standing and mat work, neither of which I've been able to do because of the knees. I'll get back to it soon, I hope! In the meantime I'm looking forward to trying the armchair one.

I don't have that one. Let me know how you like it! I may order it for the weekend work. :) I miss exercising!
 
Hi Laura,

I've just read thru your post recovery thread and I'm so reassured about my BTKR scheduled for Aug. 27. You've done amazingly well. Many of my fears (toilet, walker, showering) seemed to be a non-issue. Maybe they didn't seem that way as you were living thru it! And its so awesome that you are out and about and driving.

My one biggest concern is managing steps. Our master bedroom is on the second floor. My OS says I'll be able to manage them when I get home. I haven't read too many threads where people are talking about stairs.

When do you plan to go back to work? I figure I'll tell my boss that I need minimum of 4 months. I can work from home but will not until I'm completely off prescription pain meds. I don't trust what I might say or email when under the influence! LOL!

Good luck on your continued recovery.
Rosemary
 
Rosemary, I've had a pretty easy recovery - I know how lucky I am!Sorry I can't tell you anything about stairs since our house is a one story.

I plan to go back to work in mid-August which will be at ten weeks post-op. I'm not worried about the meds since I'm taking the same ones now that I was for a long time prior to the surgery (Meloxicam, Tramadol & hydrocodone). I'm hoping to go back part-time at first until I get used to the hours and the long commute (45 minutes to an hour).

Good luck with your recovery!
 
@LauraLeigh Thank you, yours are beautiful too. We are pretty sure the grey one is a british shorthair. He just showed up on our back porch and was very friendly and kept loosing weight, so we adopted him. Had him checked for a chip, and checked the animal shelters, and police for anyone reporting a missing kitty. We knew he had to be someone's pet, already neutered and his nails had been clipped. Turned out he has feline aids, but he isn't sick except allergies. Emily and Rusty we adopted from shelters, Emily has feline leukemia (we make sure the others get their shots) Rusty has messed up tear ducts. Lilbit we rescued from a house in the country, she was covered in fleas and had lung parisites. She is fine now (small but mean). They are all so completely different from each other.

Good luck on going back to work! Hope it doesn't cause swelling and pain.
 
Well, my first attempt at driving in 6 weeks went fine! The right knee got a bit stiff when I had to sit at a stoplight and hold the brake down, of course. I drove for about 30 minutes all told: first we went to a car wash and then to dinner. After dinner we went to the grocery store - I made it around okay by leaning on the cart but took a hydrocodone, iced and elevated as soon as I got home. We'll see how I feel tomorrow!
 
I'm keen to know how the armchair pilates DVD goes as well! I'd love to start doing some strengthening/core exercised without flaring my knees. I've been driving a few weeks now, doesnt' cause me any problems at all thank goodness!
 
How did you do after your shopping trip?

For all the cat fans, have you ever seen the show "My Cat from Hell" on Animal Planet. I don't have a cat but I love them. This guy on the show really understands cats--very interesting program.
 
@kneeper, I have seen that show. I don't watch it regularly - the idiot cat owners he has to deal with just make me mad! Most of the behavioral problems seemed to be just due to people not knowing how to care for their cats properly. I do like Jackson Galaxy; he does seem to understand cats!
 
@kneeper I've seen it a couple of times, the guy is really good. He is as good with cats and the Dog Whisperer is with dogs.
 
@LauraLeigh
Hi Laura,

You are doing extremely well with your recovery! The level of exercise, the driving, and everything else is really remarkable. Sounds like going back to work ail be a cake walk for you.

Your cats are absolutely beautiful. Sorry that they did not like the fireworks. Poor babies. I am, curious as to why fireworks are illegal in your town? That seems like an odd thing to outlaw.

I an going to check out the Armchair Pilates video as well. I did yoga before and was just starting to get into Pilates but it became to hard on my knees and I did not have enough knowledge on it to know if there were other poses I could do. I have used the machines a couple of times and they are pretty cool. I am planning on getting my yoga teacher certification in future but I also want to try PiYo which is a mix of Pilates and Yoga. I imagine there would be less trainers in this area and I may have more of a niche market to cater to which would cut out some of the competition (there are so many yoga instructors out there).

Hope everything else is going well with you.

Have a great week!
 
Lisa, I'm pretty sure fireworks are illegal in most towns around here. Not the professional shows, of course; just for private use. Even sparklers are banned, which I didn't realize! The town ordinance cites "health and safety" - I think I saw in the newspaper accounts of at least 3 or 4 deaths and severe injuries due to fireworks this year. Also, most of Texas is under drought conditions so lighting fireworks even outside the town limits seems like a stupid idea! Our area has had some rain in the past week but many other areas are so dry that a cigarette butt thrown out a car window could easily cause a major grass fire.

I haven't tried PiYo yet, but I'd like to. I think one pool in the area even offers an aqua PiYo class which sounds fun.

I'm glad you were able to go home and hope they finally got your pain meds sorted!
 
Re: fireworks ban - the silly thing is that you can go a little way out of town and find huge stands selling fireworks legally. Some people do go out in the country to set them off (I've done that myself many years ago) but of course the sellers have no control over where you use them. I had no idea that sparklers were included in the ban; those and the black snakes were my favorites when I was a kid...I never liked the loud ones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom