Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm slowly achieving little improvements:

- I'm just using a cane to get around the house now. I'm now using the walker only to sit at the dining room table because it's higher than any of our chairs.

- yesterday I was able to cross my legs at the ankle for the first time.

- last night I finally found a comfortable position on my side and slept that way for a while.

- today I took my first stand-up shower since my surgery. I still had to sit on my bath stool to get in and out but was able to stand the rest of the time.

I have another PT session today. Last time he had me getting up and down from a seated position (on my walker) without using my hands. Once I can do that from a lower chair, I'll be able to use the toilet in our master bathroom again. That's my next goal!
 
Hi Laura, I haven't heard from you in a bit so checking in to se how you are doing. Has the rest of your week gone as well as your last post?

I'm slowly achieving little improvements:
Those seem like BIG improvements to me! Keep up the positive outlook!

Have a great weekend!
 
@71Beetle - thanks for checking in: I'm doing fine! I'm getting around the house without the cane now. I had an appointment Wednesday and I went with just the cane this time; no walker. My PT guy has me practicing getting up and down from a chair without using my hands. I still haven't managed getting off the toilet without pushing on the counter but I'm getting close.

I have one more week of home PT and then I'll start with outpatient. I'm hoping in another week I'll feel up to driving so my husband doesn't have to take me to PT. We shall see!

My incisions are healing well and I'm really hoping they'll be fully healed by the 10th when I see my OS again. If he clears me to swim I can start water aerobics on the 14th. By that time I'll be 7 weeks out from my surgery. I'd like to do PT twice a week and water aerobics twice a week - hopefully my knees will agree with that plan!
 
Sounds like you have a good plan Laura, but don't rush right into it. Let your knee guide you. I am almost 7 weeks out and because I am still on pain killers, I cannot drive. You are making really good progress. Keep it up and keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
@71Beetle - I am still taking hydrocodone for pain but I have no problems driving while on it...it doesn't make me woozy or anything. I've been taking it for years. I'm allowed two every 4-6 hours but I generally only take one and that handles the pain.

I'll definitely take it easy and see how the knees handle the new activities. I do deep water aerobics so there's much less strain on the knees - no jumping up and down for me. I'm just looking forward to getting back in the pool...it's going to feel WONDERFUL!
 
I am going to look into the deep water aerobics in the fall once I have recovered from my RTKR.

I take Tramadol 2-3 times per day and Oxycodone before bed. My OS will not sign off on my driving as long as I am taking them. Oh well, being chauffeured for the summer isn't so bad but I do miss the independence.
 
My OS will not sign off on my driving as long as I am taking them.

I never bothered asking for clearance from my OS. I asked my PT wen he thought I could drive and he said when I felt comfortable doing so. Hydrocodone had no side effects for me and I had cut down to one at bedtime and one typically around 3:00AM. Since it was my right knee, I practiced going around the block and testing how fast and how hard I could slam on the brakes. When I felt comfortable with my ability to do that I started driving to my PT sessions and have driven ever sense. That was probably around the 4-5 week mark.

[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
 
I never bothered asking for clearance from my OS. I asked my PT wen he thought I could drive and he said when I felt comfortable doing so. Hydrocodone had no side effects for me and I had cut down to one at bedtime and one typically around 3:00AM. Since it was my right knee, I practiced going around the block and testing how fast and how hard I could slam on the brakes. When I felt comfortable with my ability to do that I started driving to my PT sessions and have driven ever sense. That was probably around the 4-5 week mark.

[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
I had BTKR and I started driving 5 weeks post-op.
 
My OS said that it is insurance that creates the concern. In the event that I was in an accident, and it was found that I was on narcotics then it could cause issues and I could be charged. Driving is the least of my concerns right now anyway. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful support system with my parents, hubby, son and friends. :)
 
I see - I probably wouldn't try driving with those drugs either. I think tramadol is supposed to make you sleepy. I do take one tramadol daily but only at night; I've never had oxycodone. It certainly makes sense that insurance would be concerned about it.

When I asked my OS when I could drive, he just said whenever I felt ready. I'm going to try next weekend in a parking lot. My husband doesn't mind taking me to my appointments but his work is very demanding and I hate to add to his busy schedule.
 
My OS said the same about driving. I went about 3 miles down the road to drop off my son for tae kwon do. By the time I got home, that was enough. It was on country gravel roads and I had to keep pressure on the gas pedal. It didn't hurt to drive. I just was glad to get out.
 
What I like best about not driving is how much time my 19 year old son and I have together to chat. We have always been close but in the past year he has been spending less time with the family (work, friends, legal drinking age) so this gives us a lot of one on one time.
 
I don't know how long some of these opiates remain in the system, but I figured if you need to take them every 4 hours to be effective then driving 5-6 hours after taking the last one should be OK. However, "caution" was the word of the day until I was completely off them.
 
I wasn't in a great hurry to drive, but when I started it was getting in and out of my small car that was (and still is) difficult. I have to move the seat all the way back AND put the seat back in the furthest position and even then it's not easy to get my legs in and out (I'm 3 months out of BTKR's).
 
I have a truck so it is a bit easier. Lol. Still not ready to drive. I will have to on Tuesday to pick up son from camp since hubby is working night shift.
 
I am short so getting into my SUV or my hubby's truck is tough. I have a stool in the back seat to help me. My son's and my parents' car are low so I can put my leg in first and get in with no problems. Good luck with the driving @msmechanic58
 
I have a Nissan Cube and it's the perfect height for me to get in and out of easily. When we were out and about the other day I tried pushing hard with my right foot as if I were hitting the brakes and it seemed okay. There's only one way to find out!

On Saturday we had to go somewhere that's about 45 minutes away so now I know I can be in the car for that long without a problem. That's good news since my work commute is 45 minutes to an hour each way. My biggest concern is sitting in heavy traffic and having to hold the brake down for long stretches of time. I'll probably change my schedule to work 7-4 instead of 8-5 so I can avoid traffic.
 
I had a busy day - by far the busiest since my BTKR a month ago! I got the house ready for my cleaning lady: stripped the bed, did some laundry, picked things up, etc. Then I spent a couple of hours cleaning the garage, had lunch, then rested for a half an hour before taking a shower & heading to a doctor's appointment (not knee-related). Afterwards my husband & I went to the grocery store - my first trip since before my surgery. I leaned on the cart instead of using my cane and made it through the whole store. Afterwards we stopped for a quick dinner. I was pretty tired when we got home and the knees were kinda stiff but not too much pain, luckily.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom