Bilateral TKR LauraLeigh's NEW knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The snakes were cool to watch but they sure did leave a mess! We liked bottle rockets. I have lived in the country most of my life. :)
 
Re: fireworks ban - the silly thing is that you can go a little way out of town and find huge stands selling fireworks legally. Some people do go out in the country to set them off (I've done that myself many years ago) but of course the sellers have no control over where you use them. I had no idea that sparklers were included in the ban; those and the black snakes were my favorites when I was a kid...I never liked the loud ones.

The silly thing is that you cite 3-4 deaths due to fireworks so they are banned in your area but you can still carry a gun to the grocery store. That is crazy! :) Sorry, that's the Canadian coming out in me. Not trying to start a debate or anything. :cheers:
 
I went to the doc today for my 6 week checkup and got the all clear for water aerobics - yay! He is very happy with my progress; I'll see him again in another 6 weeks. I got to see my bionic knees for the first time - very cool!
[Bonesmart.org] LauraLeigh's NEW knees!
 
So cool! I am going to ask my OS for my before and after x-rays. I will put them in my treasure box next to the ultrasounds of my boys :)

Great that you will be starting water aerobics soon too! Congratulations on such a fantastic recovery!
 
I had a very busy day yesterday: tough PT session at 7, drove to my work (a 45-min. drive) for the 1st time in 6 weeks, then ran a bunch of errands on the way home. I was tired and footsore when I got home - the knees were achy and stiff but not too bad. I thought for sure I would be paying for it today but surprisingly I feel okay!

I got a letter from my insurance company approving my outpatient PT for only 12 sessions - I thought I would get 18 (3 times a week for 6 weeks). I guess I'll have to cut back to two sessions a week. On the plus side, that means I can take water aerobics 3 times a week instead!

I'm seriously thinking of starting back to work part time next week. I had hoped to give it another month but my coworker (the only other person in my department) broke both her pinkies last week! She'll be off for at least another week or so and probably restricted duties after that. She really needs both hands to work whereas my knees aren't restricting my ability to type! I think I may try four hours a day for two days next week and see how it goes. Fingers crossed!
 
It's nice that you want to help out. You might be able to manage a couple of partial days. That way you can go home and ice and elevate--and maybe snooze. Your energy level will likely not be back to normal yet.
 
Hi @LauraLeigh you will probably be ok for part time work. I went back at 8 weeks to an office job. I only had a five minute drive though. I also stopped PT at that point which for me worked out ok. Take it easy and good luck!
 
@LauraLeigh. How are you doing? Still on a really good path of recovery? Have you thought of any more of going back to work?
 
Lisa, I'm doing fine - other than my abs, that is! I started water aerobics yesterday and I think we did about 20 minutes of crunches in the 55-minute class. I knew I'd regret it later and I was right! I could really tell the difference in my mobility in the pool - there's definitely still some internal swelling. Of course I was VERY careful with my movements - it's so easy to accidentally overdo it in the water. It felt so great to get back in the pool...I just wanted to stay there and float around all day!

I did start back to work yesterday but I'm just doing 4 hours two days a week until I'm through with physical therapy. I will also do some work from home; I'll start that today. I was pretty tired when I got home yesterday but not too bad. The commute is what wore me out: 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic. My knees didn't care for that but they don't hurt nearly as bad as they did before the surgery. Now it's more of an achy stiffness rather than that deep joint pain that I used to have. I can live with that!

Physical therapy is going well and I can tell I'm getting stronger every day. I did 20 sit/stands Monday from a fairly low position without much difficulty at all, which is a vast improvement from just a few weeks ago. I still haven't really tested myself on stairs since I don't have any but I do practice stepping up and down on one step at PT and that gets easier every time. I'm honestly surprised at my progress in just 7 weeks!

I hope your recovery is going well...I bet you're glad that second surgery is over and done with! I still think that those of you who get them done one at a time just a few weeks apart are braver than those of us who do them both together. I can't imagine going through it again just when you're starting to feel a bit better from the first one. You are one tough cookie! :-)
 
Hi Laura,

Congratulations on doing the water aerobics. How were you the next day? It sounds to me like you are making a really good recovery. I find it interesting that those that do BTKRs think those of us that do one at a time are brave, but we think that the ones doing BTKR are the brave ones. It's kind of like having curly hair. You don't want it when you have it but those that don't have it, want it. Go figure.

Good luck with your transition back to work. Are you driving now? I am still pretty heavily medicated and would not be able to drive yet anyway. My plan is to go back part time in August and work 10 - 2 for two weeks, 8:30 - 2:00 the next 2 weeks then back full time after Labour Day. Hopefully my boss will be open to this plan...

I am enjoying recovery by the pool...it will be difficult to go back to reality. :sad:
 
Lisa, my abs were really sore from water aerobics: we did a lot of crunches! But other than that I was fine. It's funny you should say that about curly hair - mine is quite curly and I always wanted that long, straight, sleek curtain of hair that other girls had!

I am driving now. I'm on Meloxicam twice a day, one Tramadol at night, and hydrocodone as needed for pain. I've been on those 3 meds for a year or more prior to the surgery so no problem driving.

Work was fine; I went in Tuesday and Thursday for 4 hours each day. The hard part was the drive home - with traffic it's at least an hour so my knees get stiff. Still not as much pain as before the surgery so I can live with that!

I was pretty worn out Friday, probably from all the unaccustomed activity of the week. My physical therapist took pity on me and we didn't do much but she massaged both knees thoroughly. It hurt but I needed it - my quads are very tight! After PT I ran a couple of errands and then went home and napped most of the rest of the day. I guess I needed it!

I feel okay today and ready to get back to it tomorrow. I did enjoy my weeks of reading and watching movies but unfortunately reality had to kick in sometime!
 
Ah reality, it does get in the way of fun doesn't it?? Sounds like you are handling the transition really well. Good for you! Were you taking those meds because of the arthritis pain before the surgery? How long do you think you will be on them.

I am sure I could drive with 2 Percocet (each pill is 5 mg of Oxycodone and 375 mg of Tylenol) every four hours but insurance does not agree and the OS will not sign off on driving (for his own malpractice safety I am sure) until I am off of the narcotics. Last TKR I was taking Tramadol and Tylenol during the day and Percocet at night at 4 weeks and it was every 6-12 hours between doses as needed. I likely could have weaned off more but was going in for the next TKR so my OS and I did not feel the need to go completely off of them. I will be shooting for the beginning of September to be off of them except for bedtime. Then I will go back to dealing with any pain with Tylenol like I did before the surgeries. I so look forward to driving and the freedom that comes with it. Let's be clear, I do enjoy being chauffeured around but then I am at the mercy of the drivers' availability.

Good luck with work and physio this week!
 
I noticed you have movement in your sleep, I have been kicking in my sleep! A little scary, but in the sceam of things, it could be worse. I have been taking nortryptoline for a year now, for nerve pain, I suspect it is helping with my recovery! Has your time gone by fast?
 
@71Beetle, I did start on those meds because of the severe arthritis pain. I see my pain management doctor in a couple of weeks; I think she might take me off the Meloxicam and tramadol but I definitely still need the hydrocodone for the pain during the day.

I definitely love the freedom of driving myself!
 
@Lu.winslow, I didn't really have movement in my sleep so much as never being able to get comfortable. That's better now - I've been sleeping pretty well in the last couple of weeks. Of course, I've been a lot more tired since my activity level has gone up so much and not getting any naps in the daytime.

It's hard to believe that just 2 months ago I was barely able to get out of bed on my own! I'm certainly by no means fully recovered: I'm still quite stiff when I first get up in the morning and I can really tell when I've overdone it. Today I ran several errands and was in a good bit of pain by the time I got home. But ice and elevation for a couple of hours and I felt much better, luckily!
 
It is s great that you have recovered so well. It is nice to see that there is that light at the end of the tunnel.
 
My physical therapist measured the other day and I'm at 128 flexion on the left and 124 degrees on the right. That's on my own, without her pushing the leg into position. Sometimes the right knee feels a bit wobbly - she said this is because my range of motion is improving but I still haven't built up much quad strength. Getting better all the time, though!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom