TKR Late Bloomer<

I keep a cane in my car for snow and ice. Climbing over snow drifts to get from parking places to sidewalks can be difficult and scary. Our snow all melted over the weekend because we got rain.

I bet you're glad school's over for a bit. Trying to keep everyone's attention at this time of year is exhausting! I did miss the excitement of Christmas at school this year, however it has been really nice to cook, clean and shop without the stress of school. Enjoy your break!
 
A few days ago I had written how for the most part I thought my limping unless I was tired isn't a problem any more. Only for my husband to say yesterday that I continue to limp and my walk is about the same as it was pre-surgery. I was surprised to hear that as I don't notice my limp only when I am tired or have stiffness I am aware of it. Now I feel like I need to do a video of my walking or walk in front of a long mirror. This past week has been more of a challenge again with the knee and swelling, my husband says I continue to walk peg legged, which I agree I was doing later on this week, but hadn't noticed it prior to that time. Well all I have to say to all of this is for the most part I feel pretty good, wish I was more aware of my walking pattern, as I do want to break any limping habits I've developed as I am not in pain, and my knee is sturdy and stable. I have had more swelling, could that be the cause, or have I just gotten into a bad habit?????
 
Co-workers haven't commented on my walk, which leads me to believe when I am not tired and it's early in the day, I'm not walking this way, but on my return to work, I am going to ask their input.
 
I still find that my gait changes for the worse when I'm tired.
 
The more I walked, the more I limped. By the end of the day I'm sure your leg is tired.
 
thank you for your responses I believe this to be true as I know and can feel when I am limping sometimes, but don't believe it's all the time. My husband really does see me after my day at work when I am my most tired.
 
I can relate about limping after a long day. Sometimes I think we have to make a conscience effort to walk correctly even when we're tired. I struggle with that everyday. I've even torn a tendon in my opposite foot from overcompensating when I'm sore & tired. Not fun! Just found that out on Wednesday~got an injection & in a special shoe~hoping it heals quickly. This TKR recovery has been a roller coaster!
 
Hard to believe that my holiday vacation is down to it's final hrs. It was a so welcomed break this year. (it's nice any time) But this year it seemed to be needed to help renew my energy for the remainder of the school year. From end of Aug, till Dec it seemed like a long haul especially those first couple months back to work.
It will be interesting to see, where I am at in terms of a full recovery by June when were done with school for the summer. I'll be close to a yr out at that point.
I can actually say at this point, I am feeling that the replacement was a good choice.
( think my actual surgery was done fine and successful and to that I give thanks to
my surgeon. ) Still disappointed later on in my recovery process of the set back that
I continue to believe could have been avoided.
That there is light and a end to this tunnel.
That this experience has taught me to be more patience.
To trust my own instincts.
That it's ok to say NO to treatments that cause pain or set backs in your recovery.
For all of you out there recovering, stay strong. You will find the inner strength thru this
challenging time.
Looking to continued healing, recovery and growth in 2017.
 
@zzevi, you have been such a wonderful encourager to those coming up behind you. You have been through a lot but your attitude was always one of being positive. You went through those bad times at pt, which opened up your incision. Even though those times you helped others. I pray that your new year is a very blessed one and you continue on your recovery journey.
 
Yes, and we have to learn that our knees and our bodies are the bosses. They should be controlling our movements, not pt or OS or PAs, or even friends and family members. Many mean well, but have not been through these replacements and can't relate to what's going on inside of us.
 
Well today is a scary day for tkr patients in our area, we've had some icy conditions to deal with today, so glad they called school off early. Everyone around us was called off earlier and my husband is a plowman and said the roads were awful for a while, couldn't stay ahead of keeping the roadways from re icing over.
So I was glad to not have to be out and do much walking, I never was good at walking on ice prior to my tkr and I don't want to find out how I would do at this point.
I continue to make progress that I am proud of, I am now beginning to go down stairs the right, correct way.
It's not a pretty sight yet, still at that awkward stage yet.
 
Stay safe, glad you are staying off the ice. Congrats on alternating feet on stairs.
 
Doesn't it feel great to be able to do steps the right way. I'm right with you on not going out on the ice. We've got it here, too, and my car is still in the garage!
 
@sistersinhim I was even thinking if tomorrow is really icy, I may consider staying home. It really at this point is the one fear I have and that is slipping.
Yes, I love the feeling of being able to do steps, I really wonder at times if these things are going to come back in time, but you know what, with time and being patience it's all slowly coming back.
 
These is a hard way to learn to have patience! With all these ups and downs, we also learn to look for the better days and rejoice when we get them!
 
You've had a bit of a rough ride, but it's all coming together! We had ice this morning, but I slept right through it! Being retired :egypdance:.
 
@Celle was reading Pontoon's thread not sure if you were directing me not to derail the thread or not. Confused again, happens often to me.
But my question was one that I was wondering about there was discussion about MUA , it sounds like their ROM is up over a 100 at this pt. I thought it was something surgeons wouldn't even consider if you were over 90 on you own by a certain time period.
Was just curious.
 
No, it wasn't aimed entirely at you. It is Pontoons thread and two of you were asking questions not related to her recovery. You were not the chief offender.

I doubt that she needs an MUA, so a discussion about them would have out of place.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom