TKR Late Bloomer<

Would like my opening statement to be " Late Bloomer" could someone tell me how to change it from what it is now, or someone that can make changes, change it for me.
Instead of " if you done everything wrong from the start can you turn things around"
thank you.
 
Well here in southern Wisconsin were getting snow, I am planning a outing today, off to change the wreath at the cemetery and then off to go to Bingo. I am a bit nervous about venturing out as I can be clumsy in good weather. Going to get the snow boots out and take it slow and park as close as possible for bingo. I'll be trying this new knee out on a new terrain. But at work I will be going out daily in situations like today. But my new knee seems strong and sturdy.
 
Let us know how you do. You're a brave girl.
 
It was a messy day for driving, but I got around everywhere I wanted to go. Because of the Packer game and the snow the bingo turn out was smaller. Snow boots worked good today, this is a heavy wet slushy snow we got today. Home and relaxing for the evening.
 
I'm so glad you got back home safe and sound! It sounds like it wasn't a slippery snow. Good.
 
was discussing Christmas with my husband tonight, he was asking me for ideas of things I would like. I would like to get back in to using the stationary bike. I have a recumbent but it really is uncomfortable and low for me. I would like a upright one that you can use your arms with or without and has the fan. Usually when it come to exercise equipment he has some kind of dig usually, but he didn't about this. So hopefully he will go with idea, otherwise it's not unlike me to just go get one my self. :heehee: any suggestions on a upright one that isn't overly expensive???
 
If we lived closer you could have my upright. I use the recumbent over it because of my back side. Changed the seat, bought gel covers, but nothing helped. I still ride every day, sometimes twice a day.
 
I use a recumbent bike, too, so I have no suggestions for you. I bought this because you don't have to life your leg to get onto it, you just step through. I put a cushion on the seat to make it more comfortable. I need to use it a lot more than I do!!
 
I personally just haven't been able to find the recumbent comfortable, maybe I am doing something wrong and need to use it a bit more and see if I can find it useful. Really enjoyed the upright stationary bike at P/T.
My knee felt different today, but a good different, more normal. Didn't experience the tight band feeling I have sometimes over the top of it. Felt better than prior to surgery regarding walking, and felt the best today since the surgery. It's nice to experience these days to know there is a light at the end of this recovery tunnel.
 
I didn't mind the up right for my knees, I used it for 6 months after my TKR, but I was only riding 4 miles and at 3-4 miles my butt would start hurting and I'd get a nasty rash. I really didn't want to wear those tight cycling shorts. :yikes:
At 6 months I wanted to ride more miles for exercise, but between my butt and my back I was in pain. My recumbent has a wide flat seat and an upright back. I did 10 miles (5 in the am and 5 in the pm) today with no pain in my back, butt or legs, but I did start to suck air at 4 miles. I ride at 12-13 mph with no resistance due to my left natural (aka bad) knee. It's probably time for me to add another mile with each ride. If you are comfortable with an up right go for it.
 
Each one of us is different. What works for one might not work for the other. Go with what works best for you. You know your body better than any one else, and what is best for it!
 
I hope everyone during this time of year can find comfort in the fact that in time things will get better for them. I have days that I feel blue and depressed about this whole tkr situation today seems to be one of them. But reading over other peoples postings, I realize yes, it's been almost 6 months but I need to look how far I've come. Like I said earlier, I don't consider myself a 100%, maybe 50%, but at 3/4 months maybe 20-25%, so progress is coming, but it is slow and at time painful and frustrating. For all of you just starting down the road, take it day by day. Just do your best for today, don't let p/t and surgeons dim your own feelings of success of this recovery process, because in the beginning when were feeling so defeated often p/t or a surgeon will chime in an say where not doing enough to help ourselves recover. Stay positive, follow your gut instincts, and we will all see that light at the end of the tunnel. As much as this is the time of year that being held up inside isn't so bad, because of the winter weather, it's also a time of year that produces SAD and more depression, with the holidays and such. Just want all of you out there and to remind myself that this is a long process, but a temporary process over the course of time, and to hang in there.
 
@zzevi, thanks for reminding us that at 6 months we are only 50% through this recovery. Just because we can't see that we still need healing inside, it doesn't mean we're already healed and neither should anyone else assume we are. Patience and moderation is the key to keeping the swelling and discomfort down.
 
Yes, zzevi, remember where you were in September. You've come a long, long way through a difficult time, but things are definitely looking up!
 
I've experienced more swelling of my knee this week, it's not painful, more stiff, walking more peg legged. But I think I figured out what the cause is. With the new snow on the ground and walking thru it I believe it pulls on my new knee and with the soft tissue continuing to heal it irritates it. Walking on it right now is like walking on beach sand it's not a solid surface. Otherwise I believe my healing process is continuing on track.
 
It could be that and additional activity with Christmas nearly upon us. I know my natural left knee is achy. I think it's from additional cooking/baking, cleaning etc. Are you done with school yet?
 
@KarriB today was our last day, activity level has been about the same, but that fresh snow under foot, really feel like your knee takes on more stress by just walking in it then it does otherwise. I'm glad to have off for a bit, happy for the most part I am walking a bit faster but still not a speed demon, but my slowness also makes more cautious which I'm glad for especially with the new snow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom