• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR Larger Size Knee Prosthesis<

Margie10

Country
Australia Australia
Wow Izabel you've been through a lot in a short space of time, my heart goes out to you. :flwrysmile: You need some flowers and some tender loving care. Look after yourself and hope this all starts improving.

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Mojo333, @Layla, @dapplega, @Jackie222, @Margie10 ... thank you all for your kind wishes.

I am having very ups and downs moments, often weeping due to my inability to walk even with a walker. The Surgeon said my leg is 5cms shorter than the other due to the stem being pushed down and I am finding it difficult to put my foot flat on the ground to attempt to walk tipytoe on that foot even as my knee does not want to straighten. Sitting on a chair for more than 30 minutes is uncomfortable. On a positive note I am cycling with a 'chair cycle' for 30 minutes and doing my muscle toning exercises. I assume when the staples are out the skin and muscles will loosen up slightly.

To add to my fretting, my driver's license is due for renewal this month and I need a medical certificate ... eeek! And I still have to sort out my yearly breast cancer checkup.

Good news is my hubby has purchased a replacement estate car as ours was a writeoff in the accident. Waiting for settlement from the other driver's insurance ...100% their fault.

BeBe

graduate
Country
United States United States
@Izabel
I'm catching up on everyone's threads and have read through yours.
I'm sending prayers up for you to gather the strength you need to get through this most difficult time in your life.
Of course you feel despondent and weepy. Completely understandable!
I also see you attempting to do what you can to help yourself along the way with the chair cycle and seeing some positives. This is good!
Whatever things seem positive, embrace them and share them with us here.
When the downers strike, someone can be here to help you sort it out.
You have a serious recovery ahead and we are all cheering you on!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
We sure are cheering for you!
I can only imagine how hard it is to stay positive after all that had happened with you over the last year.
You deserve to be able to cry about it...:cry:
Do try friend, not to let it overwhelm you constantly. You sound brave and strong and it will take all the positivity you can muster to get through this!
Yay for small improvements..:) :-) (:please take things slow and easy. :praying:
Patience is prescribed in large doses.
We want to see you overcome all this...whining is allowed, so please let us know how things are going!:friends:

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Thank you for your kind words and support @BeBe and @Mojo333 and BeBe I wish you a speedy and painless recovery. xx

Had a bad night, again. I rarely drink anything past 9 o'clock but last night I had to pee six times ... not fun with a bedpan which I empty into a commode next to it!

Since the op I have had groin pain, sometimes quite severe. I never had this previously then I had a thought. I had a spinal this time, others were generals, and although the spinal deadens pain in the lower limbs, it does not affect your senses of hearing and smell. I distinctly remember hammering and perhaps drilling and sawing. I am also positive I smelled burning bone! This is why I think I have these additional pains so am hoping these will diminish with time.

More light half cycling and attempting to hop with the walker later today. Good job it is raining so I have no desire to go into the garden.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:scaredycat:so happy I have no memories of op!
Groin pain was prevalent with my recovery also.
I know you want to do something to facilitate some progress and I'm guessing keep from being bored ...but you might want to give the cycling a break. I can see that causing some groin pain if that trauma needs more time to settle.
Just want you to get well!:console2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Mojp333 I had thought this myself as the pain seems to come on after this exercise, which my Surgeon said was okay for me to do. I will mention this next Monday at my followup and staple removal appointment. It was mentioned the tightness of the muscles behind my knee so more light stretches on the agenda.

Onward and upward ... :yes!: ... and soon I will be :egypdance: ...

BeBe

graduate
Country
@Izabel
Onward and upward! I like that!
Take it easy on all your activities at this point, you have been through so much!
Hoping you get good answers from your surgeons appt.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should...listen to your body. It will tell you what it is ready to do.
Will get better and better as that deep healing progresses.
Hope today is sweet, and don't forgot your ice!

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
As I cannot straighten my knee and find it difficult to hobble on walker I did 25 minutes on my Circulation Maxx machine today ... felt good!

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Two weeks today post TKR. Heavy rain forecast this morning ... a good day to stay snuggled up resting ... but wish I was walking. It is very disheartening. Yesterday changing my extra-large clear waterproof bandaid (every 4th day) Hubby noticed bruising below the knee, not present previously. There was also some swelling again after attempting to balance stand ... yes, I immediately iced!

I wonder if someone,@Mojo333 should change my title and move me to the TKR forum? I posted originally in THR as I was to have the Revision before the car accident, new hospital and Surgeon change suggesting knee be done first.

Any thoughts and comments kindly appreciated.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh @Izabel.
I will get one of the moderators to do that..I hate that you are hurting.
What would you like your thread title to be and we will get it done.?
I will still have to come see how you are....:friends:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I hate you are having such a horrid time but I agree those folks on the knee side might have better advice on what you should be doing.
I didn't mean to be insensitive in my comment earlier, honestly I WAS thinking Hip. I just want you to get well!

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Mojo333, you doll, I didn't think for a moment you were being insensitive. Come see me anytime ... but wait till the rainy season is over!

Ttitle ... Izabel's Journey ... Knee High to a Goose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:heehee: I would SO love to go to Portugal...even in rainy season!

I will peek in on you on KNEE forum though...someone should get that for you soon.
Hang in there...it's got to get better, right?
Healing hugs!:loveshwr:

Pumpkln

Country
@Izabel ,
I've moved your thread to the knee replacement forum and given you a TKR prefix, also changed your thread title as requested.

Here are the knee replacement recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

SusieShoes

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
HI @Izabel and welcome to the wonderful world of TKR recovery. :wave: Everyone here has had their knee(s) replaced, so we understand what you are going through. If there's anything you want to ask, someone here can answer. And if you want to vent, we're good listeners!

Portugal must be lovely even in rainy season!

OP
OP
Izabel

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Thank you for your support @Mojo333, @pumpkin and @SusieShoes. I look forward to embracing all your positive attitudes which are so important to my mental attitude and eventual road to recovery ... my toes are just touching the starting line and I am ready. Hopefully then I can give encouragement to others. I know I will still have some down days and I thank you in advance for being there when needed, :bow:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Best to you my friend.
You can do this...:roseshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties