Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roofmaster, I'm still sore from my Friday night workout but it's good sore. I'm a computer programmer for HP. I started doing 1/2 days my second week post-op and was full-time by the 3rd week post-op. I work from home so I didn't have to commute, which is a blessing so it was easy for me to start working again, plus it's not physically demanding. I'm always smiling, nothing to be unhappy about and appreciate everything that life brings you.
 
Apparently I can't add, here I'm thinking I'm 11 weeks post-op and I'm only 9 weeks.. It will be 10 weeks on Monday. Now I am even more amazed at what I'm doing at 9 weeks..
 
I started doing these today in PT.. Super hard...
Pikes

Pull ins


Bosu Lunges
 
If you're doing all that already I am amazed too...astounded might be a better word.
 
I just read this whole thread/topic! I feel so encouraged now! And a huge weight lifted off me. So glad to hear you did so well with your recovery. I'm hoping to have surgery by mid-November, just 1 hip. Prior to this year I had never had surgery in my life! And now I am planning this! CRAZY! Congrats to you! I'm a Texas-born gal, but in So Cal since 84. PS-Dumb ?, but how do I put a pic on my profile?
 
I have my 12 week checkup with my OS is on 10/23/2013. My PT is ready to release me on Thursday as well assuming my OS doesn't have any issues with it. I've been back at jiu-jitsu (slowly) for 3 weeks now being extra careful not do any crazy fast movements yet. I'm just easing back into everything allowing slow gradual increases in my activities. I'm hoping that my OS lets me start doing some impact activities. I really miss jogging, boxing, sparring, anything of that nature. I don't know how he will feel at me bouncing this early or if 12 weeks is no longer early in my recovery.. Either way, I'm happy with the results so far and just trying to be extra cautious of not creating any setbacks.
 
Wow! That is awesome! You have done really well! Are you back to impact activities?
 
Yes I started doing light impact and will slowly increase over the course of a year. I am going to keep taking things slow.
 
Bsilvers how are you doing now and are you back to full bjj training yet?

I'm 37 years old and I am a bjj player also. I've been told that I need a double total hip replacement the first of which is due in October 2014. I have suffered from lack of mobility for the passed 5 years and it has made bjj a nightmare. I constantly hurt my hips and my lower back. I find it difficult to maintain my guard and don't have the hip movement to bridge properly and escape positions. But I just go with the attitude of who cares I'm trying my best it's my body letting me down. Admittedly I do get frustrated with this from time to time.

I'm really worried about not being able to return to bjj after my hip replacements. Your story gives me hope and I'm wondering how your are getting on. How do you find you new hips while rolling, are there restrictions on you, how is your range of motion and do you have any problems now?

I'd appreciate any feed back.
 
Hi @Sion1976 ,

It is great to hear from you! To answer your question is YES, I am back to full training. I train anywhere between 3-6 times a week depending how hard I go and how sore I am all over. I returned to training 9 weeks post-op, very light rolling with people i trusted. I am 8 months post out now and I go with everyone , I just am careful as my hip flexors are still not back to 100% strength yet. I just pay attention to my body and I don't push anything. I let my body dictate my recovery. So far I have had no limitations other than some weakness in my hip flexors which seem to be the norm and it's slowly coming back. One thing i learned from my recovery is you do not want to go gung ho on rehab and try to push your muscle recovery, you just have to be patient and allow the strength to come back on it's own schedule and do your PT. My range of motion is great, I can do the berimbolo drills, inverted guard and I'm getting my flexibility back slowly. It's awesome man to have your hips back! You will be so happy. Just make sure you do your research on your Operating Surgeon and be comfortable with him/her.

Let me know if you have any other BJJ/hip questions. I've been doing BJJ for 14 years and I also have a black belt in kung fu.

Oh, I forgot to mention that lower back pain goes away with the new hips. I suffered from the same things you stated above. It truly made BJJ difficult because it's all hips! Oh man, I remember how much pain I was in when I trained back then but I didn't care. I love BJJ!
-Brian
 
Thanks for the quick response bsilver. I'm so glad to hear that I'm now just excited to get the surgery and get back to training. I know it will be a painful and tough recovery but it sounds like it's well worth the journey.

I love bjj also it's the lifestyle.

Owen
 
Hi Owen,

That's the thing, the recovery was not painful or tough. At least not for me. Maybe you can find a surgeon that can do both of them at the same time like mine did. That way you can't compensate and your hips will heal at the same time.. Just a thought. It's like getting a new lease on life.

-Brian
 
Cheers bsilver That's good to know but they won't do the 2 together here or that's what the surgeon said to me. So it's going to be get over one then get the other done. To be honest I would just love to get it all over and done with now.
 
Bsilvers
Great story, very inspiring to us "younger" folks on here. I am 4 weeks out from THR, feeling good, and want to get into bjj at the 6 mo mark. In my past life, I did some wrestling and running but want to avoid the impact stuff in order to maximize the longevity of my prosthesis.
Because of your knowledge and experience with the THR and BJJ, Just wondering what your opinion was on starting out in BJJ with a THR at 40 y/o. I am fit, thin, but just concerned that it may be too much to ask of the joint.
Congrats again on such a great comeback. I wish I could take your attitude and make it my own, quite the inspiration man.
kev
 
Hi @KevininSF ,

I'm glad I could inspire you and congratulations on your new hip!
Here is my personal take on it.
- Live your life
- Don't be concerned with the longevity of your prosthesis. You are most likely going to need a revision anyways later in life, assuming either of us lives that long! You are looking at probably 20-25 years until you need that revision and who knows what technological advances the medical industry will have by then.

As far as BJJ is concerned I would find a academy you are comfortable with and is aware of your situation. It is important you start slow and listen to you body and not push anything until you are very comfortable with your new hip. This includes not grappling with people at first that are spaz's that might hurt you, I usually watch people first before I grappled with them, especially at first as I was early in my recovery. BJJ is a hip heavy sport so it's a great way to rehab your hips. I love it and it's a life style. If you do decide to do BJJ just relax and take it easy and check your EGO at the door. I wasn't going to let my hip replacements stop doing what I love.
Where do you live, maybe I can recommend some schools for you? If you are in San Francisco, I recommend Ralph Gracie's school that Kurt Osiander teaches at or one of his affiliate schools.

-Brian
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bsilvers
Thanks for the advice. The ego went away many years ago so I don't have to worry about that part. My biggest concern is the "spaz" factor you mentioned, and some 20 something with a chip on his shoulder.

If you could recommend a school, that would be awesome. I am in Akron, OH. I reviewed a few schools locally and this one looks promising ( https://www.ohiobjjc.com ). Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.
kevin
 
@KevininSF ,

That looks like a decent school, the instructors lineage is very important. That instructor is an IBJJF certified and they compete in IBJJF tournaments so that's a bonus. I would sit in and watch on a few classes and watch and see what you think. You don't have to roll with spaz's unless you can handle them. I really don't think you have to worry about that as much and you can definitely talk with the instructor so he's aware.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom