Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sion1976 Owen,

It's great to hear that you are done with your surgeries and it is even greater to hear that the second go around you are dealing with much less pain. Please keep us informed on your progress and if you haven't made a recovery thread I urge you to do so. I know there are other BJJ practitioners out there that will benefit from our recovery stories and not think that it's the end of their world if they ever get the news they need a hip replacement.
 
@Sion1976 ... how's recovery going now? Hope you are still doing well.
 
@bsilvers

Funny you should ask I started back yesterday at a fundamental class. I was amazed at how much better my movement in certain plains was but it is still poor in others. I was able to do the warm up with little trouble. Then it was some guard passing i found moving from combat base to put pressure on my partners hips was difficult as i can't real lean forward that well at the minute.However I'm sure that will return with patience.

The guys were great and really understand that Im not the best training partner at the minute. I didn't spar and i made sure not to put myself in any working positions that may hurt me.

I'm only 9 weeks post op from my second hip replacement today so i'm not exactly free moving and scrabbling. However I'm just happy to be back attempting to do techniques and as I feel stronger and more flexible I'll start back doing some rolling.

How are you doing now Brian is it just normal rolling now are is there anything you still worry about?
 
@Sion1976 ,
You are just testing the waters right now and building your confidence in your new hips. Things will feel loose and/or uncomfortable as you are training but that will go away as your body heals over time and you get your leg strength back. You may feel really weak in your hip flexor's that will make it challenging to sweep and hook but don't let that discourage you and be patient with your body so don't rush to get the gains.

It's all normal training for me now. Last night wast 2 1/2 hours of training. An hour of MMA no-gi and then 1 1/2 hours of BJJ. Basically it was me getting my butt kicked for 2 1/2 hours.. I'm the old man on the mat, everybody else is under 30 years old. LOL, I love it, wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm attaching a pic, I'm the 3rd guy on the left.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] KungFu/BJJ hips
    mmaclass_20150312.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator:
Going in Wednesday for Bilateral. Needless to say I'm a little nervous. More about not being able to have any water day the day of surgery and I don't start until 3:00:(...
Funny pain is minimal but I guess I can be talked into it Wednesday with my limited range of motion.
 
@bsilvers Sorry I don't didn't reply quickly but I don't seem to get the emails from the forum to update me. I just notice when I check the site every now and again.

Trainings all going good Im still finding my way again at BJJ. I try to do as many techniques as I can that my coach is covering but if I feel that its to much I just observe instead. I feel no pressure at all to preform to any standard at the minute. My hips both feel fine apart from some weakness in my right which I had done in January. Im only just coming up to 3 months post op on it. Im doing BJJ twice a week at the minute. I don't want to push to hard and over do it. However I think much of whats holding me back is a confidence issue with my new hips as I don't want to end up dislocating them or damaging them by doing to much to early. Back before the surgery I would trying anything at training full steam because thoughts of injury or dislocation never crossed my mind.

How are you with take downs or throws and I mean being on the receiving end of them? I would love to get back to competition but Ive been think that if I was threw (which is highly unlikely with my superior skill set ha ha) it might do serious damage to the hip replacement. Whats your thoughts?

I actually tried a bit of running yesterday. It was nothing amazing just 1 minute running at 10 min mile pace and 1 minute walking for 10 rounds. It felt fine but I'm trying to change my running style to POSE so my calf muscles have suffered more for it. I don't plan to run much but I need to for my work.

Im still working on my flexibility which I never really had anyway, but I feel there is such a thing as inverted guard in my future.


Hope you are well.

Owen
 
@Sion1976
Owen, the email notifications are under your preference settings so you can notified if someone replies to your post.

I believe you are doing the right thing by taking things slow and slowly build your confidence back as your ready to do more on the mat.
.
How are you with take downs or throws and I mean being on the receiving end of them? I would love to get back to competition but Ive been think that if I was threw (which is highly unlikely with my superior skill set ha ha) it might do serious damage to the hip replacement. Whats your thoughts?

For me I approach take downs or being thrown as I did before my surgery but I waited a while for my confidence to be there before I started being taken down again. Everything in regards to you muscles in your hips tighten up over time around the hip replacement so as you feel more stability in your movement and ability to feel confident in different activities such as take downs. I can't remember how long i waited but it was at least 6 months I think and your body will have weird way in telling you that it's ready. Just take it slow and I fully believe you will be able to compete again. I plan on competing when I feel like I don't suck at BJJ, haha.

I too have been working on getting my flexibility back. Since I lost the ability to do the splits or even spread my legs due to the arthritis my muscles had tightened up and I've been using a stretching machine and I've hit 110 degrees already and am hoping to add 5 degrees a week. I didn't start the stretching machine until a month or 2 ago. I'm hoping to get back to 170 degrees or 180 if I'm really lucky.. We'll see.
 
@bsilvers

Brian sounds like your doing extremely well I would love to get to 110 degrees!! I know now I will in the end because now when I stretch it feels like stretching instead of bones just locking. I'm having trouble sitting up straight while trying to to the butterfly stretch and similar stretches. I can't really bring my feet close to my groin without falling back. Did you have trouble with that movement after surgery? That limited movement makes it hard (impossible) to lean forward say if I'm in combat base in order to pass the guard. I didn't have as much trouble with it before surgery.

But to be honest I can't complain I'm just glad to be back at Jiu jitsu with a chance of actually improving once I'm fully recovered and moving again.

Owen
 
@Sion1976 Owen,

I had the same problem with sitting up straight before my surgery while trying to do the butterfly stretch and similar stretches and I would just fall backwards. After surgery I was very tight and all my stretching was very light as I wanted to give my body time to heal properly. I can't remember when I first attempted to do the butterfly stretches as I was relieved I no longer fell backwards. Nowadays I can sit in the butterfly stretch and look normal while grabbing my ankle or tops of my feet and actually do the butterfly stretch which before was agonizing to attempt.

You will get there so be patient and over time your muscles will relax as I'm sure they are still healing even 3 months out post-op. I hip flexors took a very long time until they started activating, well over 6 months as they were very weak from the surgery. It almost felt like they were in shock for that long and had to rehab themselves into start working again.

When you are trying to sit up straight do you feel tightness in your muscles prohibiting you from doing so?
 
@bsilvers Brian

Yeah it feels like the muscles or tendons are holding me back. I know the surgeon cut tendons and then fixed them again and to be honest thats what it feels like is the main problem. If I raise myself up on yoga blocks I can sit comfortable in it. Which I have been doing and I think its improving slowly but sometimes its hard to tell.

It was just amazing how after the surgery I had such a dramatic improvement in some ranges of motion that I hadn't been able to do in years, but in others which I was comfortable with there was a significant decline.

Don't get me wrong overall it was an amazing, life changing operation and I'm sure those other ranges will return as I heal.
 
@bsilvers Hi Brian

Hope your well and your training is going good. Im now back training and sparring with no really problems apart from my Jiu jitsu being so poor because of the long lay off. The odd time I would get a dull pain in my recently operated hip. It feels like sciatica but when i get into it with stretching and a lacrosse ball it sorts it out.

My flexibility and range of motion has come on leaps and bounds over the pass few weeks. I spend a lot of time stretching each day when and wherever I can.

I've starting training throws and takedowns again but I still start sparring from my knees, just incase!!

I'm also thinking about starting a strength program with mostly my legs in mind. I feel that they are still weak and not where I would like them to be. I told my wife I would like to go to the local gymnastic club to learn how to do hand stands and build better body control. She asked me if I had forgotten that I have just recently had both my hips replaced!! So that idea is on hold!

I am a million times better than I was and I move much better now than ever. I just need to get more training in. At the minute I only train twice a week for the usual reasons. We've just had an new baby, 2 other young kids and I'm back working.

Once I get back training more often Im planning to compete next year. Thats my next goal.

Owen
 
As a student of martial arts who is scheduled for a RTHR this June, I've enjoyed reading this thread, and knowing that a "come back" is doable. Thank you all for reassuring me of this! @Sion1976, I lived in the greater Belfast area (Greenisland) for six months while doing a teacher exchanged. I loved the people and places of the area and long to return for a visit!
Michele
 
@Cisne Hi Michele

What martial art do you study? A return really is possible the key is to be patient after you surgery. Don't expect to much to soon. Stick with the PT. Once you have your restrictions lifted by your surgeon start to do some stretching and mobility work but start very slowly. Listen to your body and you'll get there in the end.

The hardest bit for me with the first hip replacement was that I thought it was taking forever to recover. I now know that I recovered very quickly. It is hard to believe but it was like I woke up every Monday morning and was able to do things I couldn't the day before. Its still like that.

Best advice is to get through the surgery be patient and remember it will get much better every Monday!!

Owen
 
I hope this thread continues; I just found it today. I started jiu jitsu only about a year before my hip started to be a big problem for me. Gradually I stopped going because of pain, and also feeling like a really lame sparring partner (I hate to give someone a bunch of "I can't do this, I can't do that) in class.

Now I am two weeks out from left THR, anterior approach, and things are going well. Up until I saw this thread I couldn't find much on BJJ after hip replacement. The position I fear is, I'm on my back with my operated leg pulled up onto my chest, and internally rotated. That seems like the scariest position for dislocation, especially if your partner has all his weight on that leg. Happens every day in training and I don't know if it's really a worry. Now after reading about @bsilvers and @Sion1976 I feel encouraged about someday getting back to training jiu jitsu. Keep posting!!
 
@Sion1976 , Congrats on the new baby! Twice a week is good and it's great to hear that you are making great progress! No reason to get overzealous .. Your leg strength will come back and it will be on it's own time table. My training is going great, I train 3 to 5 times a week and I've started up Muay Thai as well now that I can kick again which is fantastic! I have no limitations and I grapple with everybody and do not fear takedowns or starting on the feet. It's good stuff man, keep up the great work. Now we just need an update from @perthes3man !
 
Hi Owen Sion1976 and Brian bsilvers ,


How is the recovery going?

I have Been back rolling a few times and also been hitting the MT pads.. Kicks knees etc.

So far so good.

How has the rolling for you Brian?

Are you able to handle take downs or throws? Or primarily just training from knees?

Thanks guys, hope all is well.



Cheers





Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow...

Sorry I missed all these posts guys...

For some reason, like Owen, I didn't have any notifications.. Then I put the above post up, and see I've missed heaps... Congrats on the baby Owen!

I will change my preferences and keep updates going.

Interested to know what stretching/exercises you guys are doing to build hip strength and decrease dislocation risk...

I'm continuing to train and also doing regular weights...

Even doing smith machine squats (light) which I've never done for fear of the ensuing pain for the following weeks afterwards...

For me, I am still hesitant rolling, Which is really just a head thing I believe.. Little by little, I'll get there.

Great to read everything is going great for you guys.

Loved catching up on your updates Brian... Great pic, You are smashing it !

Cheers









Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom