Bilateral THR KungFu/BJJ hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bsilver hope your recovery and training is going well. Just a quick question. Do you think it is possible to return to competitive competition in bjj after a double hip replacement? I'm just thinking a head I would like to compete but if it's unlikely I can live with just training.

Thanks

Owen
 
Hi Owen,

I would think so. That is one of my goals is to be able to compete again. I'm not there yet but I should be able to compete based on my current recovery progression. I imagine in another 4 months I should be there or that I least I hope to.. I am able to throw round house kicks and spinning hook kicks again along with kicking combinations. I hadn't even attempted that until this weekend. You can tell when your body is ready to start doing certain things again, it's almost subconscious. Don't rush anything, see how things play out as everybody's body is different and we all heal differently too.

-Brian
 
Brain

That's good news competing is a great part of the sport and a social part were you get to meet up with like minded people. Wouldn't like to miss out on that.

Cheers

Owen
 
I agree, I can't imagine getting really good at BJJ without competing. It's a big part of the art and tests you mentally and physically.

-Brian
 
Hi Brian, how are you mate?

Looking to have a thr on one rhs.

Very keen bjj/mma player as well.

Question on range... Can you go past the 90' yet (or ever)?

Also, did you get a full hip replacement in both hips?

Cheers

Pat


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@perthes3man ,
I'm good, thanks for asking. I had bi-lateral hip replacements which means both hips and yes I got them done at the same time.

In response to the 90' rule that only applies right after surgery for the first couple of weeks in regards to the posterior approach. I can get my knees almost to my chest already so I've been slowly working this past year to get all my flexibility back. I also have a stretching machine I've been using to work my splits out again and I'm around 105-110 degrees. Not trying to push the splits too much as I want to ease into getting my flexibility back to 165-170 degrees.

HTH,
Brian
 
Massively, made my day.

Good luck getting back in the mats mate.

Cheers

Pat

P.s fast forward 6 months for you, where is the biggest discloation risk.

I normally roll with 205's and sometimes the 'smash guard pass' or the try forcing the splits to pass.

Would this be the biggest dislocation risk?

(Apart from a strenuous hip toss?)

Thanks again, and good luck.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@bsilvers ,Hi, I am 29 days PO with my Bilateral Hippy's powering through the rest of July. I had very few issues and was driving in one week. I had a Mini Posterior and the scar is 4 inches and all healed. I am already doing part time work and doing great. Listen to the people here as they will help in any way possible. I did not have PT and i got rid if the support hose after 1 week, they bruised me more than the surgery. Ice,ice,ice Baby. Good luck with your new life.
 
@bsilvers , Now i see you had your Bilateral 6-23-13 not 14. i stopped at the 23rd as it is my birthday. Sorry, but your recovery has just leap frogged me from days a head of you to almost a year behind you. Keep on blazen the Trail my friend. Plus i lived in Arlington in the early 90,s for 8 years.
 
@perthes3man ,

Your body will dictate your recovery. I was back on the mat 9 weeks post-op but I was very careful with what I did and who I trained with for the first 3-4 months as I built up my confidence and strength back. If I felt I wasn't confident in doing a move or techniques I wouldn't participate in the drill or rolling with everyone until I felt I was ready. You will know when that is as your body will tell you and you can't really put a time table for that to happen as we all heal differently. Your muscles in your hips are going to be traumatized from the surgery so it's gradual process for them to heal and get their strength back so you will not want to rush that or force it otherwise you will have set backs. As far as dislocation, so far, knock on wood, I haven't felt a situation that I had a dislocation risk. Best to play it safe during your training while you heal and build up your confidence level in your new hip. You will do find and be back on the mats sooner than you think. Just train smart.

-Brian
 
Just has my LTHR on Friday 12th Septemeber 2014. Home today and looking forward to the recovery and my improved hip mobility. Due to get my RTHR in 3 months time and that will be me well on the road to returning to the mats.

Thanks
 
@Sion1976 , that is awesome man. You are on your way! Let me know how your recovery progresses and I'm here if you have any questions.
 
Hi gang,

8 weeks post op and feeling great.

RTHR

Went for my longest jog/walk today (6klms) trying to keep up with my kids on bikes :)

Beginning modified weight training this week, and also light boxing. (Pad work only)

I have found swimming heaps, and lots of high seat stationary bike has helped a lot.




Bsilvers, how's the rolling going? Keen to start working on those core videos you posted this week.


No BJJ for me yet, but I have been light rolling with my boys who both do BJJ :) (some would say, resembles father and son wrestling - which they have missed)

cant possibly consider anything else just yet, even though my teammates would go easy.



sion1976, how's the recovery going?



No pain at all now, just mobility is an issue... Only started tying my shoes this week, onwards and upwards from here.

Cheers

Pat




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@perthes3man ,

Great to hear things are going well with your recovery. Rolling is going great, I had to stop for about 6 weeks due to a stinger/burner I got in my neck but before that I was training 4-5 times a week. Remember if you feel unsure or hesitant about doing things at first just don't do it. Your body has a great way of telling you when it's ready to step it up. I think I tested the waters with a couple people I trusted at the 9 week mark. Better to take it slow then do something unwise and have a setback.

-Brian
 
@perthes3man Im 8 weeks post op with my first THR on my left, due to get the right done first week in January. I've had a good recovery from first surgery I was out walking (with the help of crutches) for about 1/2 a mile from week 2. Im have been walking completely unaided from around week 4. I find swimming really helps. I don't have any pain in my replaced hip but I do find that my other hip is giving me problems now so Im looking forward to getting it fixed.

The only problems I have at the minute are my pelvis is slightly tilted which mean one leg seems longer than the other, however this is getting better. I find that I have problems with flexibility at the minute. The butter fly stretch seems impossible. Cant really do the modified hurler stretch with my operated sides foot pulled towards my groin. I find this very frustrating because i just imagined Id have this unbelievable range of motion right from the start. I can just about tie my shoes now too. In saying that i can move my leg to places I've never been able to in years.

My surgeon has cleared me to start stretching again and i now have now restriction. My only problem is I don't know what sort of flexibility program I should be using.

I haven't been back to BJJ yet and probably would be until I have my second operation.

You seem to be doing great and by the looks of it you'll be back on the mats in now time.

Cheers

Owen
 
@Sion1976 ,

Your flexibility will come back , just be patient with and by no means DO NOT push it. I can do the butterfly's , pull my foot towards my groin, get my knees to my chest, etc. Just chill out , focus on getting your other side (hip) done, do your PT and not worry about your flexibility right now because it will all come back as your body heals. Your body will tell you when you are ready to push your stretching but you have to get thru this healing stage first. Since the muscles have been traumatized they have to recover from the surgery. Just do what you can do and don't be disappointed because you will get your flexibility back , trust me on that.

In the meantime you can enjoy sifting thru my BJJ website.. broken link removed: https://www.jiujitsutrainer.com :)
 
@bsilvers thats great to hear that your able to do that and have that range of motion. To be honest there was a lot of it I couldn't do anyway before the surgery lol. Its such a strange feeling now to have one hip that works well (not counting the trauma due to the surgery) and another that still just says no you aren't doing that. I can't wait to get the next one done. If it goes as well as the first one I know that in the end it will make and amazing differences to my life and my BJJ.
 
Your body will tell you when you are ready to push your stretching but you have to get thru this healing stage first. Since the muscles have been traumatized they have to recover from the surgery. Just do what you can do and don't be disappointed because you will get your flexibility back , trust me on that.
So true! :thumb: No need to push. Your new hip will tell you when it is ready to increase flexibility.
 
Thanks guys. Great to hear.

Still very cautious with hip flexibility, just love having no obvious pain.

I love your philosophy on the hip replacement Brian, no point not 'living' as we are all going to wear these hips out in our lifetime.

Keen to take things slowly though as well... Just got to find the happy median.

Good luck with the 2nd op sion76, be great to see how everyone's going in 12 months.

:)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am now glad to say that I have had my second hip replaced on Thursday 8th January. Everything went very well and I'm in much less pain than I was with the first one. I'm now back home and I'm looking forward to recovery and getting back to training.

Cheers

Owen
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom